• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

iPad or Laptop

Okay, Sportster has decided to expand his technological horizons by purchasing a gadget. Frankly, I know squat about either; however, one of the kids at work showed me her iPad. I was amazed that she can do e-mail on it, browse the internet, etc.

So, here's the question, should I get an iPad or a laptop? I need something I can use at work to do e-mail, browse the internet (including Aspies Central), some word processing, and have the ability to save and transfer data like images, technical files, etc. I'm willing to spend upwards of $500, give or take a few bucks.

Feel free to offer input as to what I should consider.
I use an IPad it works quite for all of the things you say you need it to be able to due. I find its interface quite easy to use. I'm happy with my iPad, I would recommend it.

For versatility, laptop.
Getting files on/off an iPad, while not impossible, and easier than it used to be, is an absolute pain.
I would also personally consider some sort of computer a prerequisite to having any iOS device.
If you do go for a tablet, don't assume it has to be an iPad. Apple (and Samsung) products are over priced here, but then, the more expensive ones also seem to have less issues.

Last edited:
Laptop, just avoid Windows 10 if you can, apparently it's a pain in the arse.

Win 10 isn't so bad. It has less issues than 8 which had a serious identity crisis. And it would be hard to find anything with win7.
The only thing I really hate about Win 10 is that they have kept some of the Win 8 flat 'Metro' windows (a hangover from Microsoft's foray into tablets) for settings. These tend to be dumbed down and inefficient space-wise. The good thing is you still have all the old interfaces for settings too. You just have to be a little careful which one you call up.

Last edited:
Ahaaa so sportster has decided to join the "rat race" of devices lol

Personally I would go with a laptop, because you can carry it around easily and access to big files it can take; although I do confess to knowing nothing about ipads.

As you know I have a tablet and an android, which of course, is a phone, but ironically when I went to use the phone yesterday, as my husband called me, I could not use it, but can easily through whatsapp and issue with texting.

Personally if you able to afford both, you want an android and laptop, because then you can take decent photos. My tablet, compared to my phone for a camera is not as good at all and quite honestly, find the tablet to be rather cumbersome when taking pictures.

Oh and I have windows 10 on my laptop and love it; yes it did have a few "teething" problems at first, but I would not swap for windows 7 or 8.

I think I'm sold on the idea of the laptop since it's a tad bit more versatile than an iPad. However, the stumbling block seems to be which version of Windows. Thus far everyone I know has said to stay away from 8; others have warned against 10, though there are just as many saying 10 is okay. I have 7 on my machine at home, which was a jump for me since I had just figured out XP, which was a stretch since I really liked 98SE. Best Buy has laptop computers with 7, so I may look into one of those.

Yes, go for windows 7. I love windows 10, but that is because it does work for me and to be fair, it doesn't for everyone, so there you go!

Nothing wrong with Win 10, been using it for more than 6 months and its fine.

If I had the loot, I'd buy a cheap Windows 10 Laptop for Xbox One game streaming and game design/animation software such as Unity or Game Maker, but sadly I don't have the money.

I'd love to do that £39 course in Unity to make 6 games though, maybe one day eh?

New Threads

Top Bottom