• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

katiemary

Hi I don't really know what to say so don't judge me. My name is Katie and I am 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school in northern Indiana. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia at the age of 3, my mom and brother have it too. I realized about a year ago that my unusual traits went beyond those of dyspraxia so I began to look into it. Half of dyspraxics have Aspergers, from looking into it I realized I had quite a lot of autistic traits. My parents at first didn't want to believe my diagnosis but eventually came to terms with it. Most people don't realize I have autism I think I appear pretty normal at school. Some of my unusual traits are: deep thinker, spacing out constantly, high intelligence as I score in at least the 90 percentile on every standardized test, naive, feelings of isolation, odd obsessions, trouble making and keeping friends, anxiety, fear of social situations, bad hand eye coordination, sensitive to noise, sensitive to light, lack of empathy, imitates others, offends others easily, notices patterns easily and I'm very blunt. My autism has made it very hard for me to feel normal. I have "friends" but I honestly can't relate to them except 1, she has Aspergers too. I go to parties and football games like every teenager I just feel like I have to pretend to fit in and I hate it. I wish I knew more people like my best friend because I'm so sick of pretending to be happy around people I don't fit in with which is why I joined this website.

Welcome!!! You've spoken (so to speak) well. Rest assured you won't be judged here. You're among friends and some pretty decent folks. There are some your age and some older; there are even a few seniors or almost seniors like myself. Browse around, meet some folks, and make some friends.
Thank you!

Welcome to the site. I didn't learn about having Aspergers until my adult life. However, during my childhood I did learn I have a language based learning disability. School was very hard from grade school up to high school. The only level at school I was able to excel in was College since I'm taking a trade that I like, software development.

What I find mess up about the school system they known about many forums of disabilities for a long time yet school system haven't really improved much. I recently just joined this site and found people very supportive. I sure you will have the same experience.

I wish I knew more people like my best friend because I'm so sick of pretending to be happy around people I don't fit in with which is why I joined this website.

We get you katiemary, more than you can know. Welcome to AC. I think you'll find you have a lot in common with many of us.

Yes, emulating NT behavior is exhausting- and unfulfilling. Been doing it all my life...

Welcome to the land of the aspie :)

I hope you found a home here where we understand you and can help

Hi Katie,
You fit in here. You also described yourself and what you are feeling beautifully. You are definitely among family here. As you get older, and especially out of the constraints of high school, you will be able to be more comfortable with who you are. Back when I was in high school, they did not know about Aspergers, nor a lot of other things. But they discovered electricity and then Aspergers, and things started to get better for us.
Remember that you learn from your struggles and that those lessons will be helpful later in life. Thank you for sharing your story and for joining us. We are glad you are here.

Welcome :)

I hope you feel right at home here. It really helps to have like-minded people to relate with, and our members are fairly friendly, and helpful.

I recommend taking a look at this book; I only wish I had it to read when I was younger. I like to recommend it to our female members, as it can provide many answers for women one the spectrum. It also has a relevant survival guide (how to stay out of trouble, socially speaking):
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

There are many other books in our recommended resources section too if you're interested in reading more: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Hi Katie, welcome to our friendly community. Many of us are very familiar with being judged and found wanting, and this place here is a nice haven where we fit in without pretence and are accepted for who we are.

Hello and Welcome!!

Yeah, I always feel like I have to pretend in school, too. I mean, is it even possible in this world nowadays to act yourself?

New Threads

Top Bottom