• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interviews and Employment

rache86

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice/support here really, as I'm having a really bad patch with regards to jobs etc. I'm just finishing (tomorrow) my trainee teacher course at University, (which as you can imagine is enormously stressful due to the big changes on the horizon).

I am also in the process of trying to find my first teaching post, and having become really unwell with depression and struggling with my aspergers I have missed a significant amount of 'application time' and so do not currently have a job. This is also causing me a great deal of stress as it means I have no idea where I will be, what school I will be teaching in, or when I will start.

I am rely struggling with the uncertainty, the anxiety and pressure of limited time and options, and really feel I am starting to shut down completely.

I was wondering if anyone had any kind of advice they could give me?

Financially I need something from September, but the anxiety and aspergers related tics and depression are meaning I can't bring myself to go to any interviews or things I am invited to.

I feel a bit like I am my own worse enemy in all of this, and that I am descending a very difficult circle.

Rache

Aspergers Syndrome: Teacher. UK

I'm afraid I've struggled with that dynamic all my life. Always very capable of doing a job, but the whole aspect of actually getting the job was always far more daunting for me. Consequently I have a lifetime of just a few jobs where I tended to hang onto them for dear life even when I needed to run- not simply walk away from them.

One I held for nearly 20 years when I should have left in half the time. I actually did quit the job two years in, but was talked into returning and I was happy to do so at the time.

Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom over such issues. Job interviews and job searches have always been the bane of my existence.

I've literally held on to my current job for dear life. I'm not happy with the job, but I can't find anything else right now. The current state of the U.S. economy is partly to blame for that.

My cousin suspects that she has Asperger's and she teaches High School. She has faced unemployment recently, but she is over it and I don't think it was ever related to her (possible) disorder!
I have struggled as a college professor for the past year, but I had no experience and apparently I was worthy of about 5 out of 6 possible points. I just felt awful, and I know my students were very aware that I'm a tad impaired because I was approached like a delicate martian life-form when approached at all.
I think my last work environment was very familiar with my kind of people... being that I'm a scientist I find I'm not that out of place most of the time but I'm more inexperienced. But experience is pretty much key anywhere...that's the only way you will find out what is going to be a challenge for you and what is just included in the learning curve.

I have a lot of trouble filling out applications and writing cover letters when I'm stressed and anxious. Is there a way you can set aside some time to talk to a career advisor or have someone review some of your application materials?

Financially I need something from September, but the anxiety and aspergers related tics and depression are meaning I can't bring myself to go to any interviews or things I am invited to.

I feel a bit like I am my own worse enemy in all of this, and that I am descending a very difficult circle.

Rache

Aspergers Syndrome: Teacher. UK

Hmmm ... tough call.

First, an introduction. I'm the chef instructor of a high school Culinary Arts program in the States. I hold dual certification and once taught at the elementary level for 17 years. This is my 9th year as a high school teacher and my 26th in the field of education. I hold a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I have taught in public (you would call them "state schools" in inner city, suburban, and rural settings. I have also taught at private American schools in Saudi Arabia and Lebanon.

So first things first, welcome to the teaching profession.

Since anxiety and depression are hampering your ability to find employment, I think you need to address the underlying causes of WHY you are anxious and depressed. Are you stressed out because of the interviews? Are you worried about not being able to find a job?

Since you're an aspie, let me ask you this. Is teaching your passion? Teaching is my passion and I also love cooking and baking so teaching Culinary Arts is basically a dream come true for me. Is it the same for you or will teaching simply be a means of keeping a roof over your head and food on the table?

I think it's important for you to think about this because one of our strengths as aspies is that most of us have very specific interests ... so if you can align your interests with a career, it will make life a bit less stressful. Make no mistake, things will always be stressful because that's the nature of our disability ... but they needn't impede your ability to hold a job or to pursue a career.

There ARE on-line schools. Have you ever thought about teaching on-line? English language teachers are in big demand right now in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia. There are on-line schools that pair teachers 1:1 with English language learners. You'd need the ability to Skype (or something similar) but you could easily work from your home with this sort of job.

The son of a former colleague is in China right now on a two year contract at an English language school. Surprisingly enough, all of his classes are on-line, so I'm not really clear on why he needed to move to China for this job. He could just as easily have stayed at home in Las Vegas.

May I ask what your area you're pursuing certification in?

Do feel free to ask me questions or PM if you'd like.

New Threads

Top Bottom