• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interests/Special interests?

Lacking a skill is not a ASD core problem, except for social communication. I lack some skills but they are comorbid issues. My special interests often require skills. The more common aspie skills like reading and remembering lot's of information is not my strength, so my special interests are not the most common ones.

It's -24 outside, it's New Year's Eve, our city is doing fireworks downtown but no civic party (for obvious reasons)... I think I'm going to go downtown just because... See what photos I can get perhaps, yes I'm crazy, perhaps even have a rather crazy approach to my photography sometimes... :eek:

I guess my posts showcase my special interests pretty well. would be very interested in finding others who share them.

It's -24 outside, it's New Year's Eve, our city is doing fireworks downtown but no civic party (for obvious reasons)... I think I'm going to go downtown just because... See what photos I can get perhaps, yes I'm crazy, perhaps even have a rather crazy approach to my photography sometimes... :eek:
Report back, so we know you in fact did, come back. -24 is not really an okay temperature to be wandering around holding a camera.
:eek:

Report back, so we know you in fact did, come back. -24 is not really an okay temperature to be wandering around holding a camera.
:eek:

It was warm enough to enjoy a glass of champagne...

New Years 02.jpg

Last edited:
I do not think so. Some can focus so well that they can work past the frustration of that initial part of the learning curve. While I was abyssmal in other areas of mathematics, once I discovered Statistics, Statistical Design of Experiments, and Statistical Process Control, I picked up the skills in applying these and was very successful.
Is the learning curve only there in the beginning? I seldom here people talk about it. Why do we avoid it?

What I have noticed is that people who engage in a special interest often know what they are good at or avoid dealing with what is difficult (but that they could be good at).
How do people with ASD find out what they are good at? I always struggle with it. I don't even have a special talent it seems but I must have one. I think acting should be my thing. I need to act. I think I am good at reciting or singing a text with emotions (even if I should be bad at it due to ASD).
What do you people say?

Is the learning curve only there in the beginning? I seldom here people talk about it. Why do we avoid it?

What I have noticed is that people who engage in a special interest often know what they are good at or avoid dealing with what is difficult (but that they could be good at).
How do people with ASD find out what they are good at? I always struggle with it. I don't even have a special talent it seems but I must have one. I think acting should be my thing. I need to act. I think I am good at reciting or singing a text with emotions (even if I should be bad at it due to ASD).
What do you people say?
The greatest frustration to learn for me was underwater photography. First it was my getting better at boyancy control and then learning how to approach my subjects, then it was mastery of the equipment. I started out with a top end point and shoot with decent external flash. It took me about 10 dives before getting anything decent. Then started improving equipment and technique. Only after several years did I get passibly good.

Here is a pic of a tiny cleaner shrimp in Bubble Coral.
FB_IMG_1641132257471.jpg

Last edited:

What do you people say?

There is always something to learn, a learning curve... Anyone involved in a hobby that involves doing/creating something will likely want to learn more and practice more... As per what @Gerald Wilgus said

And if you think you might enjoy acting, look for opportunities, there is lots of community theatre out there, get involved...

Celsius is the normal system lol
If one wants to describe the most accurate perception of temperature for most people, I prefer the Farenheit scale Because humans can detect changes at degree F resolution, whereas a degree Celcius is too big a perceived change, a coarse measure.

Cosmology, astrophysics, astrobiology and astronomy...
People usually makes the mistake to bring one of these subjects up, and then you would get me talking and I can't stop

New Threads

Top Bottom