• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Importance of Interests to Well-Being

SummerAmy

Hi everyone :)

I'm an aspie, currently undertaking PhD research on special interests.

I'm hoping to demonstrate how special interests are uniquely important to those of us on the spectrum. We're often told that we spend too much time/money on our interests, but the self reported benefits can be huge. I'm hoping to be able to present this as research, so that a better measure of well-being can be developed for clinicians working with people on the spectrum.

The research itself is an anonymous online questionnaire. If you're interested in taking part you can access it here: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2mAWKjs8xMVbcwJ

There are a lot of questions, so if you want to take a break, you can close down the tab on your browser and come back to it later via the same link. As long as you use the same device and browser to revisit, it will take you back to where you left off. You also need to make sure you don't clear your history or cookies though, as that will wipe your session. Progress will be saved for two weeks, then your session will close.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them :)

Many thanks,

Summer

Hi,
We often have students or professionals wanting to study us.:rolleyes: Since you are an Aspie I guess its ok. ;)

I like the subject of your study and think it is very important to many, perhaps most of us. Don't know what I would have done without mine.

Hi,
We often have students or professionals wanting to study us.:rolleyes: Since you are an Aspie I guess its ok. ;)

I like the subject of your study and think it is very important to many, perhaps most of us. Don't know what I would have done without mine.

I see my research less as "wanting to study" for the sake of studying, and more as trying to improve lives by providing evidence that professionals will actually take seriously ;) I know what you mean though!

Thank you! My partner spends so much time on his, I have to remind myself how important mine are to me so I don't nag him!

I see my research less as "wanting to study" for the sake of studying, and more as trying to improve lives by providing evidence that professionals will actually take seriously ;) I know what you mean though!

Thank you! My partner spends so much time on his, I have to remind myself how important mine are to me so I don't nag him!

My wife doesn't have special interests per se, though is interested in life and most things in a general way. My challenge is not burdening/boring her with my talking about them. I have come to try always to use a mental 3 minute egg timer and stopping myself there. You might not believe this but not everyone is interested in the various diameter wagon wheel sizes used by the artillery and train units in the Napoleonic Wars. Take the Bavarians for instance... :D But its still hard every time.

Just did this, thanks very much, a little long but still great to get info out there about people with Autism.

Started two new interest since I moved into my new house, now that I am living alone my interest are Lego building and watching YouTube channels of aspies sharing their life stories.

I'm hoping to demonstrate how special interests are uniquely important to those of us on the spectrum. We're often told that we spend too much time/money on our interests, but the self reported benefits can be huge. I'm hoping to be able to present this as research, so that a better measure of well-being can be developed for clinicians working with people on the spectrum.

The research itself is an anonymous online questionnaire. If you're interested in taking part you can access it here: https://cccusocialsciences.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2mAWKjs8xMVbcwJ

There are a lot of questions, so if you want to take a break, you can close down the tab on your browser and come back to it later via the same link. As long as you use the same device and browser to revisit, it will take you back to where you left off. You also need to make sure you don't clear your history or cookies though, as that will wipe your session. Progress will be saved for two weeks, then your session will close.

Many thanks,

Summer
would it be possible for me to do it over months instead of weeks ?I'm in too much pain to do it in a few weeks!

Hi Attitude :) can you please tell me the names of the youtube channels on aspies that you watch?

I do not wish to drop names, my favorite has been " The Aspie World" and I totally think that dude is absolutely cool. And the other is a YouTube channel ran by an Apsie calling himself Conor Ward.

I haven't started filming my own yet because I just most moved house and waiting to get internet.

Just did this, thanks very much, a little long but still great to get info out there about people with Autism.
I'm so sorry, I didn't get an e-mail saying I had messages! Thank you for taking part! I am quite frustrated at how long it is, but after this initial one I'll be able to say for sure one way or another, and then any extra studies can be much shorter! Apparently I need to ask questions on absolutely everything for people to take it seriously :weary:

Started two new interest since I moved into my new house, now that I am living alone my interest are Lego building and watching YouTube channels of aspies sharing their life stories.
I LOVE Lego, but it's quite expensive :worried: My partner has a whole room dedicated to his interest, so living alone must be great for that :grinning:

would it be possible for me to do it over months instead of weeks ?I'm in too much pain to do it in a few weeks!
I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain! I have just got an extension for another month, but I'll have to close the survey after that. If you'd like to have a go anyway, and if you don't manage to finish then don't worry. Or you can just not take part and I'll be thankful to you that you wanted to anyway :) I hope you feel better soon!

Many thanks,

Summer
completed I'm shattered

completed I'm shattered
Oh wow, thank you so much! And sorry again for it being so long.
When I've done the analysis I'm going to post again to let everyone know what's been found. Hopefully it'll be worth all of your efforts :)

Edit: That 'hopefully' is misleading, I know it'll definitely be worth your efforts, just hopefully you will think so too :)

New Threads

Top Bottom