• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm older and want to go back to college but can't sit through classes

MountainMan

I'm nearing 50, have been self-employed for most of my life but would really like to go back to school to get an advanced degree so I can be out of the house and using my mind more than I do now. I'm super smart but my memory isn't great, but that isn't the main issue.

My main issue is sitting through class. I've tried going back to school a few times and the same thing always happens - I'm mostly o.k. in big lecture halls (I don't love it but I can deal), I can hide in the back row, but I can't handle the small classes where I can't blend in. Usually part of the way through the first or second class I have to get up and leave, in the middle of class, and then I never return.

I'd like to study finance or something similar so I can use my analytical skills in an office setting. Which brings up almost the same issue. The main reason I've been mostly self-employed is I can't make it through long days at work. Four hours - no problem! Eight hours - never! Something similar happens where I get feeling anxious and spaced out after lunch, sick to my stomach, etc. and have to leave early. I don't really want to work eight hours anyway, I like to pick my kid up from school, but that's how most jobs are.

Anyhow, does anyone have the same issue with sitting through college classes? It wasn't as bad when I was an undergrad but that was almost 30 years ago.

Can't you do an equivalent to open university? Learning from home and only having to attend a group setting for exams?

Ed

Definite, I took an online class two years ago and it went great. I guess I actually want to learn how to be able to sit through classes, which is hopefully a similar skill as sitting through a workday. After the last few years of pandemic I also would really like to be around people.

I went back to school in my 40s....but looking back at the prospects of another decade later, hmmmm.

Might be a tough proposition. I can relate. Though as others mention, perhaps doing so from home would make a big difference.

You should try online learning it’s great. I don’t like to attend classes in person with other people. I really enjoyed taking online classes because you can work from home. I alway stayed on top of my assignments and did really well with managing my schedule. You can basically create your own schedule and get up whenever you want as long as assignments are completed on time. I think this option would be great for you if you are interested.

Definite, I took an online class two years ago and it went great. I guess I actually want to learn how to be able to sit through classes, which is hopefully a similar skill as sitting through a workday. After the last few years of pandemic I also would really like to be around people.
Exposure therapy is how I overcame by bout of agoraphobia. But it's rough going in the early weeks, because you do have to sit through panic attacks, intense discomfort etc. But the more you ride the wave, the calmer it eventually becomes.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom