• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm Gonna Have To Start Pulling The Autism/Processing Disorder Card

What Do You Think?

• Don't Get A Card (Me: Reply As To Why Not?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
My problem with people is that they're too busy overestimating me. I'm sick of it! I was just talking to my friend about how in biology, the teacher goes too fast on his lessons, and then even talks too fast to the point I can't understand him and even mumbles some of his words, but then when I ask, he's like "I just said the answer" like he's all stressed and everything, and I'm thinking "well, I'm sorry, but I'm slow, and I don't get it" See, I'm not as smart as everyone else! Stop overestimating me! Then he tells me to use the book or the slides, but then the next thing i know, i get everything wrong because it's not specific enough, and I can barely manage on my own! It's enough having a sensory processing disorder and trying to hear him, despite all those loud, popping binder rings and jumping chairs just makes it harder. It's even harder to process what he's saying (because I have some other kind of processing disorder to which I barely understand words used in a certain way DESPITE how loud it is) because he talks too dang fast and mumbles almost 3/4 of that he's saying. This is the kind of crap that gets me failing because I can't learn the same way everyone else can! You gotta be very specific with me, speak slowly and clearly, and even show me things visually/hands-on. Otherwise, I'm not gonna get it! Y'all neurotypicals need to stop overestimating me! Understand that I'm slow, I'm not gonna get things just because everyone else gets it! Heck, I can't even process a lot of information at once because I'll get overloaded and either start forgetting things or go insane from stress! I swear, sometimes, I wish I can just pull the autism card and show them because I don't have it as easy. It's not like you can just tell me something, and I'll already know it. I'm not a god dang genius like all these other nerds! I'm freaking disabled! That's why I look and act different. I'm mentally different! Deal with it!

I only seem to know stuff because the right people have helped me with everything. They spoke clearly, slowly, and simply. They didn't just pile a bunch of information on me at once. We went step by step. Plus, I was shown visually or did things hands-on with a VISUAL demonstration. How I was good at genetics in class, IDK, but I remember doing the punnet square and learning about genes because the teacher didnt go too damn fast. That's the only reason I already knew a bit about it in biology class. I started learning it in high school, and I had a laid back teacher who made it fun and easy to understand. Look, sorry for any language violations; it's just hard, you know.. It's hard being the student who doesn't understand and then being either shamed or refused help because they think I'm not listening or can't hear. They make assumptions, and then when I blow up, they wanna get mad and say that I'm not being nice. They're not being nice, either! They're overestimating me, assuming that I'm not listening when I'm trying my best to process the TONS of info PILED up on me, and then they dismiss my questions as not listening or being unable to hear when they're talking to dang fast and not being specific enough for me to understand! They then wonder why I'm always panicking or stressed out.

Btw, I voted in my poll only cause I like voting in polls. I know it's childish, but it seems fun! (Heck, I still get tatoos out of the machines in stores when I have the quarters)

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago.

Processing speed doesn't have anything to do with intelligence. I mean, they're connected I guess. What I mean is that slower processing speed does not necessarily mean you are less intelligent than those with "normal" or quick processing speeds. You could very well be highly intelligent, just slow at processing stuff.

In my case, I am slow at processing everything. If it is any small consolation to you, I have a really high IQ (going by my most recent neuropsych evaluation and what my IQ was in childhood and how many points I estimate to have lost over the decades :), it's probably at least 140), and I am unbelievably slow. I cannot understand anything unless I am in my own unique environment for learning. I need a combination of visual aids, notes, extra resources online, fidget objects, a private space where I can think out loud if I have to, very frequent breaks while learning new topics or working on difficult problems (I'm a physics major), drinks and snacks in the vicinity lol and many more.

Exams I was expected to ace, I nearly bombed. I simply cannot function in a regular classroom.

Interesting thing is that I've been grappling with similar issues lately, in terms of learning how to communicate what I need because of severe processing issues. I haven't even considered a card! So thanks for bringing that up. It gives me another thing to consider as I think through my own stuff.

Once I think more thoroughly about this card stuff, I'll vote. :D

The problem with the education system: They think that one size fits all. The very concept that it might not baffles them.

I went through all the typical school years and even 3 years of college myself. All this in the US.

Often, people tell me things like "wow, you're so smart" due to the many things I know. The fact that I talk in a bizarrely eloquent way pushes that further. And it's true, I've learned so many things on so many subjects over the years. In particular I'm good with complex logic, and computers/tech.

.....Almost none of which came from school. Seriously.

School taught me exactly 3 things. 1. How to read. 2. How to write. And 3: How to type on a keyboard. I suppose basic math (like, REALLY basic) might be a 4th.

And.... that's it. Seriously, that's it. EVERYTHING ELSE, I learned on my own, because the classroom was a terrible environment (and later years, it was filled with terrible people, too). Some teacher could be trying to teach a very simple, supposedly easy subject, and I'm going to be in the back, stressed, bored, confused, and blanking out. Yet at the very same time, I was self-learning programming when I was like, 7 or 8. And that was back in the days of DOS, when most people had a hard enough time getting a program running at all.

A bit of a divide there, yeah? But that's how it was for me, and I suspect it's that way for a great many of us on the spectrum. We *can* learn things very fast.... BUT, the method has to be compatible. That's the big important part. Cant just talk at us for 6 straight hours and expect it to magically happen. Frankly I dont understand how even NTs can learn from THAT.

At the very least though... I understand your frustration on the whole thing, as do many others here, I'm sure. Try not to be so down on yourself though. Simply because educators are too bloody stupid to understand that one method isnt perfect, doesnt mean that you yourself are dumb or something.

I dont know what to advise here. But I wish you the best of luck with it.

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago.

Processing speed doesn't have anything to do with intelligence. I mean, they're connected I guess. What I mean is that slower processing speed does not necessarily mean you are less intelligent than those with "normal" or quick processing speeds. You could very well be highly intelligent, just slow at processing stuff.

In my case, I am slow at processing everything. If it is any small consolation to you, I have a really high IQ (going by my most recent neuropsych evaluation and what my IQ was in childhood and how many points I estimate to have lost over the decades :), it's probably at least 140), and I am unbelievably slow. I cannot understand anything unless I am in my own unique environment for learning. I need a combination of visual aids, notes, extra resources online, fidget objects, a private space where I can think out loud if I have to, very frequent breaks while learning new topics or working on difficult problems (I'm a physics major), drinks and snacks in the vicinity lol and many more.

Exams I was expected to ace, I nearly bombed. I simply cannot function in a regular classroom.

Interesting thing is that I've been grappling with similar issues lately, in terms of learning how to communicate what I need because of severe processing issues. I haven't even considered a card! So thanks for bringing that up. It gives me another thing to consider as I think through my own stuff.

Once I think more thoroughly about this card stuff, I'll vote. :D
My IQ when I got my diagnosis is way lower than yours. I'm only at 97.. It says that's an average person's IQ but I often feel mine is lower than that..

The problem with the education system: They think that one size fits all. The very concept that it might not baffles them.

I went through all the typical school years and even 3 years of college myself. All this in the US.

Often, people tell me things like "wow, you're so smart" due to the many things I know. The fact that I talk in a bizarrely eloquent way pushes that further. And it's true, I've learned so many things on so many subjects over the years. In particular I'm good with complex logic, and computers/tech.

.....Almost none of which came from school. Seriously.

School taught me exactly 3 things. 1. How to read. 2. How to write. And 3: How to type on a keyboard. I suppose basic math (like, REALLY basic) might be a 4th.

And.... that's it. Seriously, that's it. EVERYTHING ELSE, I learned on my own, because the classroom was a terrible environment (and later years, it was filled with terrible people, too). Some teacher could be trying to teach a very simple, supposedly easy subject, and I'm going to be in the back, stressed, bored, confused, and blanking out. Yet at the very same time, I was self-learning programming when I was like, 7 or 8. And that was back in the days of DOS, when most people had a hard enough time getting a program running at all.

A bit of a divide there, yeah? But that's how it was for me, and I suspect it's that way for a great many of us on the spectrum. We *can* learn things very fast.... BUT, the method has to be compatible. That's the big important part. Cant just talk at us for 6 straight hours and expect it to magically happen. Frankly I dont understand how even NTs can learn from THAT.

At the very least though... I understand your frustration on the whole thing, as do many others here, I'm sure. Try not to be so down on yourself though. Simply because educators are too bloody stupid to understand that one method isnt perfect, doesnt mean that you yourself are dumb or something.

I dont know what to advise here. But I wish you the best of luck with it.
True, I learned most od my animal knowledge from the internet. I'm a big a time animal lover. I often feel inferior because many other people know more about it than me, and that's the only thing I even feel smart in. It's the best thing I know, but there are so many people smarter than me in that category or learned everything at a very early age. That's what gets me down.

Traditional learning environments make us feel bad about ourselves who process things really slowly.

I am almost 36 and just graduating with my bachelor. I have never held a job for longer than 3 years. I am only just discovering ways to express my needs. Just knowing those things, most would judge me a total failure because I'm not where my peers are in life.

I'm starting to just "cover my ears" to all of that useless noise.

The education system really sucks, and makes us feel inferior, confused, and left out. And there is nothing wrong with us! The reason we "fail" often is because we aren't made to function the way NT's do, yet we're expected to learn the NT way. So we fail NT standards.

I haven't been to lectures all semester. I am fortunate that my professors are super relaxed and nice. I know not many are so lucky.

Have you requested accommodations at your school?

Traditional learning environments make us feel bad about ourselves who process things really slowly.

I am almost 36 and just graduating with my bachelor. I have never held a job for longer than 3 years. I am only just discovering ways to express my needs. Just knowing those things, most would judge me a total failure because I'm not where my peers are in life.

I'm starting to just "cover my ears" to all of that useless noise.

The education system really sucks, and makes us feel inferior, confused, and left out. And there is nothing wrong with us! The reason we "fail" often is because we aren't made to function the way NT's do, yet we're expected to learn the NT way. So we fail NT standards.

I haven't been to lectures all semester. I am fortunate that my professors are super relaxed and nice. I know not many are so lucky.

Have you requested accommodations at your school?
I do have accommodations as to why my equine health and man agent reacher let's me test in a different room, even while I have ear buds to block out the noises. But you're right. They need to make more autism/sensory friendly schools.

In my quest to find ways to communicate my needs and challenges with others that make sense for me, the thought of just saying to others, "I am autistic. I need a considerable amount of time to process things in my own environment, " crossed my mind.

I have ADHD too, which makes things extra interesting. lol But I can barely even bring myself to tell people I have ADHD. *shrug*

Not that I think anyone absolutely has to know any of this information. But I thought, "Maybe they'll leave me alone." :D

That is the ideal situation, but I can't predict that will happen.

Someone from my school's registrar office called me this morning to tell me about ongoing problems (which I thought I resolved) with the fact that, in the system, I am listed as being a double physics and chemistry major (something about one too many shared credits? I don't know how this crap works! lol) and I spent a good chunk of this semester trying to deal with this. It has been a very annoying and stressful process. I had to go to multiple advisors in all departments, speak to multiple people in the registrar's office. It took so much out of me. I wanted to die.

So this morning, I was just so beyond caring 'cause I'm almost done with school now, and I really tried to fix this. She made it sound like it is easily resolvable. But I was exhausted. I said, "Listen. I have a few disabilities that make coming in to campus to deal with this not possible right now. Can you please just send me very clear comments about what exactly is wrong and what additional paperwork I need via email? And then I will send them back to you." She said she would accommodate. I was relieved.

In my quest to find ways to communicate my needs and challenges with others that make sense for me, the thought of just saying to others, "I am autistic. I need a considerable amount of time to process things in my own environment, " crossed my mind.

I have ADHD too, which makes things extra interesting. lol But I can barely even bring myself to tell people I have ADHD. *shrug*

Not that I think anyone absolutely has to know any of this information. But I thought, "Maybe they'll leave me alone." :D

That is the ideal situation, but I can't predict that will happen.

Someone from my school's registrar office called me this morning to tell me about ongoing problems (which I thought I resolved) with the fact that, in the system, I am listed as being a double physics and chemistry major (something about one too many shared credits? I don't know how this crap works! lol) and I spent a good chunk of this semester trying to deal with this. It has been a very annoying and stressful process. I had to go to multiple advisors in all departments, speak to multiple people in the registrar's office. It took so much out of me. I wanted to die.

So this morning, I was just so beyond caring 'cause I'm almost done with school now, and I really tried to fix this. She made it sound like it is easily resolvable. But I was exhausted. I said, "Listen. I have a few disabilities that make coming in to campus to deal with this not possible right now. Can you please just send me very clear comments about what exactly is wrong and what additional paperwork I need via email? And then I will send them back to you." She said she would accommodate. I was relieved.
Thank god SOMEone listened to you. I was in your situation when it came to issues with financial aid all through the first semester.

My problem with people is that they're too busy overestimating me. I'm sick of it! I Y'all neurotypicals need to stop overestimating me! Understand that I'm slow, I'm not gonna get things just because everyone else gets it!

If this is a college course you're talking about, I suspect you are confusing being overestimated with a level of academic indifference which sadly is often par for the course in higher education. Personally I found college more often than not to be quite "mercenary" environment at times. :eek:

With many instructors who had no interest in me personally, let alone whether I succeeded, failed or even died. Occasionally though I did find a precious few who seemed genuinely interested in me, but only because I seemed to excel in their particular class. I guess for some it's a form of massaging their ego. :rolleyes:

Quite a contrast from high school where teachers are under more pressure for a student to succeed, whereas in college it's entirely your responsibility as to whether you master class material or not. Something I really didn't begin to pick up on until my second year of college. In such an environment, you must be your own advocate. Don't expect anyone to just naturally respond to your struggling. It won't likely happen. Not because you're autistic, but rather simply because you are there.

Pull that "autism card" if you feel it can help you.

Last edited:
If this is a college course you're talking about, I suspect you are confusing being overestimated with a level of academic indifference which sadly is often par for the course in higher education. Personally I found college more often than not to be quite "mercenary" environment at times. :eek:

With many instructors who had no interest in me personally, let alone whether I succeeded, failed or even died. Occasionally though I did find a precious few who seemed genuinely interested in me, but only because I seemed to excel in their particular class. I guess for some it's a form of massaging their ego. :rolleyes:

Quite a contrast from high school where teachers are under more pressure for a student to succeed, whereas in college it's entirely your responsibility as to whether you master class material or not. Something I really didn't begin to pick up on until my second year of college. In such an environment, you must be your own advocate. Don't expect anyone to just naturally respond to your struggling. It won't likely happen. Not because you're autistic, but rather simply because you are there.

Pull that "autism card" if you feel it can help you.
A person with a mental disability is an exception to that. That's why they have disability accommodations at that college. It's still the teacher's job to teach students. That's why they have office hours for questions.

A person with a mental disability is an exception to that. That's why they have disability accommodations at that college. It's still the teacher's job to teach students. That's why they have office hours for questions.

That doesnt mean the teachers will actually DO it in the way that they're supposed to, though.

Never assume that someone plays by their own rules. Often, they dont.

It ends up depending on just how much incentive the teachers really have to perform such actions in a more direct manner. Many simply dont really see individuals, and just see a sort of blob of interchangable students.

I wouldn't assume that at all. On such issues I suspect they may pay lip service to you, but little beyond that.

Don't assume they'll take the initiative and be your advocate. You must do that yourself. Though I expect whatever they may agree upon in attempting to accommodate you won't likely involve the entire class. That it will be between you, your instructor and the administration. Expecting more than that may be unrealistic.

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume that at all. On such issues I suspect they may pay lip service to you, but little beyond that.

Don't assume they'll take the initiative and be your advocate. You must do that yourself. Though I expect whatever they may agree upon in attempting to accommodate you won't likely involve the entire class. That it will be between you, your instructor and the administration. Expecting more than that may be unrealistic.
I'm mostly talking about the professor.

That doesnt mean the teachers will actually DO it in the way that they're supposed to, though.

Never assume that someone plays by their own rules. Often, they dont.

It ends up depending on just how much incentive the teachers really have to perform such actions in a more direct manner. Many simply dont really see individuals, and just see a sort of blob of interchangable students.
And that's the problem. They need to make it to where it's not just that. Other students need to be able to learn, too.

I'm mostly talking about the professor.

Hopefully he's not tenured. That might complicate things. Though all you can do is to approach your professor and see what transpires.

Sometimes tenured professors can be real prima donnas- and get away with it.

Hopefully he's not tenured. That might complicate things. Though all you can do is to approach your professor and see what transpires.

Sometimes tenured professors can be real prima donnas- and get away with it.
-Tries looking up the word tenured but faILS to get an understandable definition- Sorry, I don't no now that many words, but I assume it's bad by the way you put it.

-Tries looking up the word tenured but faILS to get an understandable definition- Sorry, I don't no now that many words, but I assume it's bad by the way you put it.

Educators with tenure mean they can do as they please. Very difficult to remove a tenured professor in particular. It's a very formal distinction of professional seniority with administrative clout.

One thing for sure, for many of us they don't make college easy.

Last edited:
Educators with tenure mean they can do as they please. Very difficult to remove a tenured professor in particular. It's a very formal distinction of professional seniority with administrative clout.

One thing for sure, for many of us they don't make college easy.
Ohhhhhh.

New Threads

Top Bottom