• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm fairly dependent on this forum for friends

Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I've become dependent on this forum for my socializing. Sometimes I just come up with something to talk about because I like hearing back from you. I get aggravated when I hear something negative said about on-line communities and that they aren't real because I feel like they are real. Matter of fact, more real than people in real life.
I don't like talking to people on the phone - don't know what to say. I'm in a panic state when I try to socialize in person. Here, it's okay to not agree, but we're sharing thoughts and feelings that are real. So when I feel like I want to be around friends, or I want to talk - this is where I turn. And we can all actually relate to each other, which I'm so not used to.

A lady at church a couple weeks ago told me she was a lot like me, that if she had her way she'd stay home. I wanted to ask her if she'd go as far as asking her boss to put her on a weekend shift to avoid having to go out with her husband to socialize? Yep, exactly what I did. I was working all week then on weekends my husband would want us to go sit at the bike shop and talk to other bikers, or go sit at this coffee shop where the same people gather all the time and socialize, or go meet with another group of his friends to play music. So I asked my boss to put me on the weekend shift and I had all week to myself and worked weekends so I didn't have to go do these things. But he didn't seem to understand "I need time to myself".
Now I'm alone and I like it, but I do want friends.

Before I knew about my Aspergers, I had no place to go. Now I can flee the crazy NTs and read conversations that are logical and reasonable. It’s like a drink of cool water in a dry and thirsty land.
Thank you all.

I kind of treat this forum like I treat any socialization in my life. I listen/read a lot until I have something to say. Lots of kind people here with interesting things to share.:)
And the civility is wonderful! I am not involved in any other social media because of the lack of it (civility) everywhere else. And yes, it's funny, the social misfit is civil! Maybe that is my problem:eek: I'm not a jerk IRL.o_O
Enjoy reading your posts Pat.

I think it's a healthy balance to try to have at least a few irl and online is okay if you like having online friends. You never know when irl friends can help you. irl can do things that online just simply can't, basically.

Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I've become dependent on this forum for my socializing. Sometimes I just come up with something to talk about because I like hearing back from you. I get aggravated when I hear something negative said about on-line communities and that they aren't real because I feel like they are real. Matter of fact, more real than people in real life.
I don't like talking to people on the phone - don't know what to say. I'm in a panic state when I try to socialize in person. Here, it's okay to not agree, but we're sharing thoughts and feelings that are real. So when I feel like I want to be around friends, or I want to talk - this is where I turn. And we can all actually relate to each other, which I'm so not used to.

A lady at church a couple weeks ago told me she was a lot like me, that if she had her way she'd stay home. I wanted to ask her if she'd go as far as asking her boss to put her on a weekend shift to avoid having to go out with her husband to socialize? Yep, exactly what I did. I was working all week then on weekends my husband would want us to go sit at the bike shop and talk to other bikers, or go sit at this coffee shop where the same people gather all the time and socialize, or go meet with another group of his friends to play music. So I asked my boss to put me on the weekend shift and I had all week to myself and worked weekends so I didn't have to go do these things. But he didn't seem to understand "I need time to myself".
Now I'm alone and I like it, but I do want friends and want people to talk to and here I am. I really like you all and I enjoy my time with you all - so is that acceptable to rely on this forum for friends?

By the way - my fingernails actually hurt if I don't have clear nail polish on them.
what kind of pain sharp or tingling

New Threads

Top Bottom