• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm an idiot with money. Is this an Aspie thing?

I can be. I have 50 books in my room that I've bought and have yet to read. I have many hats that I don't wear. I do keep a budget that I try to stick to but it gets tough from time to time.
Gods! I could've written your post! I love books and can't not buy one I like the look of and unworn hats is my thing too. I like having the opportunity of wearing my hats at some point in the future though.

I had a similar problem when I was younger. My parents gave me a credit card "for emergencies" when I was in my mid 20s and I maxed it out on stuff like subscriptions to online personals services. I did buy some stuff that I used for a while, but a lot of it was wasted. That was around 2000.

In 2007 I applied for credit cards because I wanted to start a business. I did spend about half of the total debt I accumulated on the business, which was ready just in time for the 2008 stock market collapse, and immediately failed. The other half, a lot of it was on junk food, I was pretty much living on burgers and fries and chocolate for a while and got very obese and sick. I also took a lot of day trips in my old Nissan. I ultimately declared bankruptcy in November 2009 with a total debt of maybe $40,000. My only income was an SSI check.

In 2016 my mom said I could have a credit card, and I was/am a lot more responsible, I didn't spend too much, and I've gotten my purchases down to a level where I can pay the whole bill with next month's SSI check, so I don't accrue an outstanding balance. I was addicted to junk food for years, and would blow through my check in two weeks due to poor eating. My check usually lasts me until the end of the month now.

My parents were always irresponsible with money, so I get it from them. They weren't to the extent of, say, Barbara Chandler, but my dad was always buying worthless junk.

I... will have an anxiety attack if I can’t pay rent on time even though I am very rarely if ever late.
full
If your income is regular, you ought to automate whatever payments you can.

Like gaming. "I've been bored for 10 minutes" is enough to get me to go buy a new one. The fact that I bought three the previous day wont matter.
So that is how *those* steam accounts with thousands of games are created?

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was 'this sounds like those people who starve themselves for a week, then binge on cake at the weekend, then feel terrible so starve themselves again'. Maybe moderating your behaviour a bit (not being *quite* so careful with money all the time) would prevent you feeling like you have to go crazy and spend big amounts every now and then. Just an idea. I'm fairly good with money, but keep some spare so I can go a bit crazy buying presents for people (which is my version of moderating financial behaviour). I also go 'shopping' for investments every quarter, which gives me the same kick as buying a pair of designer shoes or jewellery while still making economic sense.

So that is how *those* steam accounts with thousands of games are created?

Alot of those are because of the Steam sales. When you can get a game at 90% off, well... that's what'll happen. It's not uncommon to see someone buy literally 60 games in the course of a day or two because one of the major sales is happening. It makes sense, too. You could get either 1 half-assed AAA game and some crappy DLC for about 80, or spend the same and get this gigantic pile of different games, which could range anywhere from "okay" to "absolutely fantastic". Without the scummy publishers involved. So those Steam sales are *always* a huge success. Everyone loves them.

In *my* case, it's because I have A: no practical spending limit, and B: no impulse control. And no patience, for that matter. So instead of doing it in a giant blob during a sale I just buy randomly based on whenever I spot something.

I have at least resisted for the past week and a half or so, but that's only because Smash is about to release (just 90 more minutes of torment away) and I know I'll be playing that to death.

Definitely, like this Monday, I was in Tesco doing my week's food shopping as I do every week, got to the checkout after buying my stuff, and my card got declined! I was literally like, WTH?! So I puit some stuff back and it got declined again! So I had to ring for my Dad to come down with the other Bank card because my "ready cash" card is now £7 in the red till I get paid next week.

full
If your income is regular, you ought to automate whatever payments you can.
Worth saying again, direct debit all bills to be payed the day you get your pay check, then no worries during the month that what you're spending might eat into the budget for rent/bills.

I am not very good with money. I need someone else to manage all that for me or my life will be in shambles. I spend unnecessary amount of money on my special interests. I cannot be trusted with money.

New Threads

Top Bottom