• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you "see" like a NT, would you want to?

CoCo3000

Hello to everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to being officially diagnosed even though I'm 51 years old. During my research of Asperger's, I came across a fascinating podcast about a woman participating in a study with TMS that allowed her to "see" the NT world, but only for 30-45 minutes.
Here's a link to the podcast:

I'd love to know how many of you would like this opportunity, or if not, why wouldn't you. Personally, I'd love to try it, but only because it's temporary. I like who I am and don't wish to change, but I'd love to take a peek into the NT world. The podcast is about 30 minutes long and I'd like to hear how other Aspies feel about it. Thanks to all that reply.

My curiosity is all but insatiable; given the opportunity, I might well try it for the brief period the procedure allows. Somehow, though, I think it would be a bad idea: it would be like the Cinderella story ending with the prince not finding her. Or, as the saying has it, a taste of honey is worse than none at all.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, but like you, my curiosity wants me to try it. But, it did depressed the woman in the story, for a while. I'm just getting over my depression from being diagnosed. And it doesn't work on many of the people who were in the study. I really wonder just how much of nonverbal communication am I really missing. It is just a curiosity thing. I obsess over questions I don't know the answer to.

Find it interesting that the medical profession still wants to repair us, as if we were somehow broken and needed fixing. The test subject is a doctor who's obviously familiar with the procedure. I would be reluctant to undergo this, so that I would know how to think somehow differently. I think extremely well, don't like the idea of falling into a line and fitting into a superficial society that doesn't interest me.

As the procedure is experimental, how do I know that shooting a magnetic pulse into neural pathways wouldn't cause damage or change in some other area of the brain that I didn't want to lose? Or destroy memory, or the ability to read or write in the future. Until this procedure is fully understood, I wouldn't go near it unless I had no choice at all.

I don't think the object of the study was to find a cure or treatment, but to understand Asperger's better. I understand what you're saying though about permanent effects it may have. I hadn't really considered that. I have a biology degree and worked in entomology research, so I think the scientist part of me is why I'd try it. And the fact it's not permanent. I don't want to change the way I think or be NT. This procedure is approved for use to treat depression (know that doesn't mean it's safe) and that also interests me as I have problems with depression. Personally, I believe all the antidepressants and other meds are more damaging to the brain and more likely to cause permanent changes. But I understand your point, it could have unintended consequences. I hadnt looked at it that way. I just joined this forum and it's great to get other opinions from other Aspies. Thank you.

I don't quite understand how a procedure used to to treat depression would carry over for an Aspie to be able to discover how an NT perceives the world. If were trading degrees here one of mine is in genetics. There are many blank spaces still, in brain plasticity research and much of it is not well understood. Believe that a well-know Aspie writer went through a somewhat similar permanent procedure called TMS:

Electric Currents And An 'Emotional Awakening' For One Man With Autism

Along with his autism, he now experiences overwhelming emotional reactions to things, something that he finds difficult to cope with. Although it's given him some insight and understanding, he finds it much harder to control his reactions. Having not been schooled to deal with them in his life, whether or not he can develop coping skills will be the final result of this procedure.

Oh wow, that was an interesting article. I wouldn't want to risk that now. Thanks for sending me that link. I had no idea it had permanent effects on some people. I can see why you would be opposed to it. I hadn't thought that deeply about it and should have. I was simply thinking it would be interesting to do once since it only lasted 30 minutes or so. I wouldn't want to risk permanent damage. I think what happened to that guy would drive me crazy. I don't want to change the way I perceive things or think. I don't think of it as a disability. I like the way I am. I don't understand why it bothers NT people that I am different. My life has no real effect on theirs. Thanks for getting me to look at this differently. It was why I asked the question. I was only recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I knew I was different, but never thought there was anything wrong with me.. Just that I had communication problems with some people and didn't have the same emotional responses as most people. To be honest, it has turned my world upside down and I got very depressed about it. These forums have helped tremendously, so thank everyone who replied.

Much of what I've read about this kind of procedure would indicate that it does work somewhat on depression. The problem is, that not a lot is understood about the autistic brain, and the manner in which it functions. There is quite a lot of understanding of the ordinary brain and much clinical research. So, think that I might be curious about it, but only in others.

Somehow, it seems reminiscent of the electro-shock therapy used on psychiatric patients in institutions. Although this is used in much more detailed and specific way, it may have been pioneered from those experiments on captive patients. The consideration of which gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:
I call foul on this. I see no reason to do it or even a way to prove that it works.
I think it is overstepping the bounds of what is acceptable and very inethical.
As well as it may work for some,I feel it will do irreparable psychological damage to others.

For one,I don't view my deficits as a reason to pine over what I could have been without them. I feel that it would only add to what some view as struggles instead of adding insight.

As a visually based memory autie,I get replays on most of my lifetime either in video or still pictures. I feel I know where my mistakes were made and use that as a guide to prevent making mistakes that are the same in the future.

The fact that I can mimic NT traits and behaviors to varying degrees does not mean I can actually be Neurotypical. No matter how much I learn about them.

For me, this not a particularly complex dynamic.

New Threads

Top Bottom