• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you have autism how does it affect you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, affects...social situations are difficult...and are there any non-social situations...it seems like everything is bloody social...

I guess I'm a unique case where Fragile X Syndrome is culprit for my Autism and I think Autism always comes with additional conditions (I might be mistaken here) and in my case, I was born with Dyscalculia (which is the math version of Dyslexia) which makes even basic math for me frustrating.

It's like having a bit of a drain in my brain where math is a pain and I can tell that my brain works slower when trying to do math. The basics weren't that bad, like one and two digit addition and subtraction, but multiplication with two digits is a handful for me :|

Do you believe your Fragile X Syndrome caused your autism? From what I've heard there is only a slight correlation. Correlation does not equal causation.

This is in my opinion actually a rather difficult question. We can always ask this question: what exactly is ASD?
We could say that it's a disorder or condition that affects social behavior. Could we then say that we behave in a certain way in social situations just because we have ASD? Is it really that simple? Of course not! One could also ask if ASD is just psychology and we still have human free will to act in the right way. This is just me thinking loudly!
Yes, I have ASD but I refuse to kiss my diagnosis good night before going to sleep. I am not an aspie! I am a hunan person!

Yes, and if you didn't have autism u wouldn't be you! Your brain would be wired differently you may have a completely different life actually how your autism affects you says how your brain is wired and it's your brain so your autism is and always will be part of who you are

Yes, and if you didn't have autism u wouldn't be you! Your brain would be wired differently you may have a completely different life actually how your autism affects you says how your brain is wired and it's your brain so your autism is and always will be part of who you are

Interesting point. I have to say alot of who I am has been a byproduct of how people have mistreated me due to being autistic, rather than autism itself. I am sure if I was not bullied and made to feel different in so many negative ways I would not be who I am today. Autism or not.

This is in my opinion actually a rather difficult question. We can always ask this question: what exactly is ASD?
We could say that it's a disorder or condition that affects social behavior. Could we then say that we behave in a certain way in social situations just because we have ASD? Is it really that simple? Of course not! One could also ask if ASD is just psychology and we still have human free will to act in the right way. This is just me thinking loudly!
Yes, I have ASD but I refuse to kiss my diagnosis good night before going to sleep. I am not an aspie! I am a hunan person!
I see this slightly differently, but kind of in the same vein I suppose, in terms of being a person. I am a human, but I'm an Autistic human. That means my brain processes things differently to people whose brains aren't wired like mine. I can't change it, and I don't want to, it is what it is. Autism affects everything I do, because it is a processing difference. Who knows if I would think the same things and react the way I do if I weren't Autistic. I don't think I would though. I've done some pretty cool things in my time, and that's because I see things in the way that I do, so if it wants kissing goodnight, then a kiss goodnight it shall have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom