• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could save just one item...

Progster

Grown sideways to the sun
V.I.P Member
If you house was burning down and you had to get out immediately, and you could save just one item from your house, what would you save?

I would save my external hard drive with the backup of my music collection.

Edit: My music collection is very important to me, because it plays an important role in my life. It calms me when I need it, and provides stimulation. It helps against depression and anxiety, and keeps me on an even keel. I could do with most other things, but I don't think I could live without music. Other things can be replaced, but to replace my entire music collection would be extremely difficult.

Last edited:
A bundled stack of letters my father wrote to me and gifted me on my graduation day.

My phone, because it has important documents in and most important off all, I have a bible app, so that I can continue to read my bible chapter. Otherwise, my physical bible would take presidence over my phone.

my music is on tidal, so i'd probably take my best pair of headphones, my portable amp would already be in my pocket :)

Id probably burn to death trying to make the decision of what to take with me.:)
But I'd definitely save my dog. I cant live without him.

My cats. But if if it's actually an object, a box of memorabilia with a few tin plate photographs, of relatives and letters from my father with his beautiful left-handed copperplate handwriting.

Simple my dog and my backpack... I always have my laptop and all my important stuff in the back pack. All my photos and music are digital, all my important documents are scanned and digital... So the laptop is my most valuable asset and its basically with me all the time and backed up.

Mia (my dog) is with me lots of the time, and not in the house when I am gone, so its all good... The rest is just stuff... Stuff I would hate to lose, but I could manage.

Guitar.

Never played it for years and was never very good but there's something about it being there. If my mood was low enough i would play, cry and laugh some.

The rest, i could leave it and forget it.

Longing to be and longing to forget is evens this morning.

Our backup drive! Though the super important stuff is in the cloud.

With lack of space, I tend to not keep things for sheer sentimental value. A picture is fine.

Well, besides the obvious like pictures and cats and people, etc? They always come first, of course....

Aside from that.....
BOOKS! When Constantinople was being besieged, people went into the libraries and threw the texts over the walls in desperation to save them! That would be me. I have very old Latin texts............and some priceless Greek ones...........

My wife and any family members, which includes dogs. There are no objects in the house that are worth risking your life for.

My wife and any family members, which includes dogs. There are no objects in the house that are worth risking your life for.
True. I wouldn't risk my life for my music collection, and it's a purely hypothetical situation... but I'm assuming that family members are going to be able to leave independently, and I have time to grab just one thing before I leave. In my situation, my partner would leave on his own, and I don't have pets in the house or small kids who need to be carried out, so I'd grab my music collection.

Wow, I just maybe own way too much. Wouldn't even know where to start trying to pick just one thing. My Ralph Steadman book? The dead, stuffed toad? a painting? Guess for practical reasons I'd save my box with important stuff in it like my SS card, birth certificate, ect.. if I really only get one thing. Bunnies don't count in this, right?

Assuming my cats are safe it would be a framed personal letter I have hanging in my music room from my namesake.

True. I wouldn't risk my life for my music collection, and it's a purely hypothetical situation... but I'm assuming that family members are going to be able to leave independently, and I have time to grab just one thing before I leave. In my situation, my partner would leave on his own, and I don't have pets in the house or small kids who need to be carried out, so I'd grab my music collection.

All of my guns and all of our important papers are in a fire proof safe, I would not worry about that. All of my tools, equipment and toys are in the shop. That is a separate building. I guess I would grab whatever my wife was after so that we could get out quicker. Oh. I might grab my nightstand handgun, it is my favorite.

Last edited:
Bunnies don't count in this, right?
Bunnies count, because they'd need to be carried out by a person. The same goes for cats. Dogs might leave independently, because they usually follow humans.
Assuming my cats are safe it would be a framed personal letter I have hanging in my music room from my namesake.
Do you refer to the Greek composer Vangelis Papathanassiou?

Bunnies count, because they'd need to be carried out by a person. The same goes for cats. Dogs might leave independently, because they usually follow humans.
My cats always follow me, so they don't count :p (also I don't want to have to choose between my cats, haha) Still, I stand by my choice for inanimate objects.

New Threads

Top Bottom