• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could do anything for the Autism community, what would it be?

I would try to raise more awareness in this country, perhaps give public lectures or visit the schools, perhaps translate literature and information and make it available, or start a youtube channel in the local language - but I'm way too shy to do all this stuff, and I'm still not out of the closet as far as disclosing is concerned.

I would make my best to make them accepted (Like homosexual and trans people) Because Autism seems to be rejected like the pest in social situations.
Interesting, because legislation was required in order to advance the rights of gays and trans people. People against these groups used morality issues to bash them, but that argument can't be applied to those of us who are straight and on the spectrum. All I can think of is the song, "You've got to be taught." Some people will always find something to hate about another group of people. How sad!

That poses a problem for those of us who are willing to become NT. It would be so easy to those turn against people unwilling to change by declaring, "Why would anyone CHOOSE to be annoying?"

Aspieistj, or why would one choose to be annoyed. If being
real is annoying to another isn't the one that annoyed and thin skinned actually the one with the issue. Lack of control over their own emotions. That is why the NT are sometimes called, emotional hysterics.

I think perhaps a distinction must be made here.
Speaking for myself, I have almost total control of my emotions. I allow myself to laugh, cry, and empathize in general. I am flexible enough to usually not give in to anger, rage, or panic, but do in fact get frustrated, usually when I am not understood or fail to understand others. Then I talk slower and louder as if it is a volume issue.
So in a nutshell, I am cool, detached and wrapped tightly.

Others on the spectrum, seem to be lacking in their ability to control the emotional responses.
This is not a bad thing but for me it separates one group from another.
It seems to me, as we evolve or age for that matter, we rely on emotional responses less and our reasoning skills more.
I assume that some may ask, what about love? I think that love, as we usually bandy the word around, is as much about thought and reason, as much as it is about hormones and serotonin uptake.
What do you think?

I think that love, as we usually bandy the word around, is as much about thought and reason, as much as it is about hormones and serotonin uptake.
What do you think?

Simple physical desire has little to do with emotional love. It is also possible to love someone fiercely, without feeling physical desire.

If I could do anything for the autism community, I would probably create schools specifically for people with autism and Asperger Syndrome. Ones that no one else could attend. I believe education is important for kids and even adults with autism. If we could create a community with a school that tailored only to autism I think we would be going a long ways.

I would start a hobby club --with a club meeting once a month to research new hobbies and make applicable hobbies happen and work on them in future club meetings

I would equip all of us with a magical whatever-you-want (wand, drumstick, bubble gun...!) which would have the power to make nasty noises quiet and yukky things nice- very simplistic I know, but got to start somewhere!

If I could do anything for the autism community, I would probably create schools specifically for people with autism and Asperger Syndrome. Ones that no one else could attend. I believe education is important for kids and even adults with autism. If we could create a community with a school that tailored only to autism I think we would be going a long ways.
That worked very well for Deaf kids, but only as long as Deaf adults were the ones teaching them. There was at one time a golden age of Deaf intellectuals. Once hearing people took over, that age ended. I've always thought that autistics could learn a lot from the Deaf community, but with time I've come to realise that that would only be fair if we supported Deaf people in their struggles with mainstream society as well.

That worked very well for Deaf kids, but only as long as Deaf adults were the ones teaching them. There was at one time a golden age of Deaf intellectuals. Once hearing people took over, that age ended. I've always thought that autistics could learn a lot from the Deaf community, but with time I've come to realise that that would only be fair if we supported Deaf people in their struggles with mainstream society as well.
Yeah. It was just an idea. Thought maybe if other autistics were helping autistic children then maybe they would learn better. Didn't really think through it completely. Sorry. But you are right about the Deaf. I am a hard of hearing autistic and have found that one on one works best in education. I have Deaf and hard of hearing friends and family members, so I know sign language. But maybe autistics could learn too.

Yeah. It was just an idea. Thought maybe if other autistics were helping autistic children then maybe they would learn better. Didn't really think through it completely. Sorry. But you are right about the Deaf. I am a hard of hearing autistic and have found that one on one works best in education. I have Deaf and hard of hearing friends and family members, so I know sign language. But maybe autistics could learn too.
Nothing to be sorry about. I agree with you completely. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be fair for us to benefit from the collective knowledge of Deaf organizers without giving something in return.

I'd go back to basics and put heavy emphasis on SPECTRUM in Autism Spectrum Disorder, along with the pros and cons of being autistic. You'd think as much as some of these doctors and researchers groan and whine about how narrow-minded they think autistic people are, they'd open up their own minds and realize we're not all automatically broken or useless.

Nothing to be sorry about. I agree with you completely. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be fair for us to benefit from the collective knowledge of Deaf organizers without giving something in return.
What would you give them? That would be hard, but at the same time it would be easy. Autism Culture and Deaf Culture are so similar that you could do just about anything. Just be careful. You don't want to offend anyone on either side. We could give them lots of things, but that is not always what can make people happy. Just remember that. Help with autism and then the Deaf. Not the other way around.

I'd go back to basics and put heavy emphasis on SPECTRUM in Autism Spectrum Disorder, along with the pros and cons of being autistic. You'd think as much as some of these doctors and researchers groan and whine about how narrow-minded they think autistic people are, they'd open up their own minds and realize we're not all automatically broken or useless.
You're right. I strongly dislike doctors and researchers mostly because they never get it right. I think that they need to reevaluate their thinking. I don't see myself as disabled and neither should they.

New Threads

Top Bottom