• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideas for educating the public about AS

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOM, there is so much wrong with your post I am at a loss where to begin, so let me just choose this morsel....

And again, just one more time because it's important, AS is a medical condition. We are not a large percentage of society and while we shouldn't be discriminated against because of AS, and we may never fit in 100% but we should try to fit in as best as we can.

Let the majority repeat again here -

AS is not a medical condition. Perceiving something is not the same is it being an actuality. Your eye colour, hair colour or even skin colour, is not a medical 'condition' and yet owes its origins to the same factors that select whether or not you have aspergers. Maybe we should tell blondes to not have so much fun, or brunettes to lighten up a bit, or even redheads to try harder and get a hair dye?

The fact that you choose to believe you have a medical condition is entirely up to you, the fact I choose to not accept that as my truth is how I will live my life. I accepted many years ago, way before being diagnosed, that I did not fit in and it didn't stop me from building a multimillion pound industry or employing over 2,000 people worldwide. Co-morbidity is an aspies worst enemy, not the aspergers per se, many of us enjoy being who we are, have learnt to manage who we are and continue our life long enjoyment of not fitting into a societal structure that is patently broken.

There are many older aspies here who have had successful lives, many were not diagnosed until later in life, very few of them chose to 'conform'. The answers are there plain as day.

My four kids all have aspergers, they all have top flight jobs with multinationals and none of them are anything except themselves.

In my opinion the most damaging thing to do to an aspie is keep on reinforcing the lie that they are abnormal, that they have to conform to be a success, it is patronising and deceitful and leaves young aspies feeling like they have failed before they even try.

OOM, there is so much wrong with your post I am at a loss where to begin, so let me just choose this morsel....

Let the majority repeat again here -

AS is not a medical condition. Perceiving something is not the same is it being an actuality. Your eye colour, hair colour or even skin colour, is not a medical 'condition' and yet owes its origins to the same factors that select whether or not you have aspergers. Maybe we should tell blondes to not have so much fun, or brunettes to lighten up a bit, or even redheads to try harder and get a hair dye?

The fact that you choose to believe you have a medical condition is entirely up to you, the fact I choose to not accept that as my truth is how I will live my life. I accepted many years ago, way before being diagnosed, that I did not fit in and it didn't stop me from building a multimillion pound industry or employing over 2,000 people worldwide. Co-morbidity is an aspies worst enemy, not the aspergers per se, many of us enjoy being who we are, have learnt to manage who we are and continue our life long enjoyment of not fitting into a societal structure that is patently broken.

There are many older aspies here who have had successful lives, many were not diagnosed until later in life, very few of them chose to 'conform'. The answers are there plain as day.

My four kids all have aspergers, they all have top flight jobs with multinationals and none of them are anything except themselves.

In my opinion the most damaging thing to do to an aspie is keep on reinforcing the lie that they are abnormal, that they have to conform to be a success, it is patronising and deceitful and leaves young aspies feeling like they have failed before they even try.

I am actually speechless that you refuse to believe that autism is a medical condition. And whether or not anybody wants to admit that it is, AS is on the autism spectrum and it's a form of autism.

There is a difference between not letting having AS get you down and deciding to believe that it's something entirely different from what it is. You can't change facts simply because you don't want them to be that way.

If AS isn't a medical condition and is simply a difference then nobody with AS should be covered under the American's With Disabilities Act. We shouldn't get SSI if we can't work because of it. We shouldn't get accommodations at work because of it. We should get nothing at all because of it and nobody should ever have to make any allowances for us because of it. If it's nothing more than different wiring that makes us harder to deal with then I suppose we are SOL.

We are legally afforded accommodations and protected against discrimination because AS is a medical condition. Kids in school are given IEP's and aides and there are special classes for some that need them because AS is a medical condition. There are doctors that focus on autism and it's related issues because it's a medical condition.

Your insistence and the insistence of some others to completely deny the fact that AS is a medical condition and is autism doesn't change the fact that it is. I also see those same people focusing mainly on the social aspects of AS instead of all the other issues that it causes. This leads me to believe that the people doing that are searching for a reason for their social inadequacies that would separate them from the rest of the people who have been ignored, put down, and bullied. If AS is seen as a medical condition and acknowledged as autism then there is the chance that those with it could be pitied, or that people will assume mental retardation or immaturity, etc without getting to know the person and finding out that it just isn't true. If it's seen as a simple difference instead of a medical condition then it's very easy to say that we are only different and we don't have trouble with things or do things incorrectly, we are just different and society is refusing to accept our differences, rather than the truth which is we have a medical condition which makes it very difficult for us to do many things and when people don't understand that they tend to judge us incorrectly and assume many untrue things about us.

Being discriminated against for a difference, like race or sex or sexual orientation etc isn't different than being discriminated against for a medical condition. To many people, the idea of having a medical condition makes someone seem "less than" and "less capable" so calling it a "difference" rather than what it actually is makes the discrimination itself seem even worse. Saying "They are discriminating against me because they don't like my style of communication" makes the person doing the discrimination seem pettier and worse and makes the one discriminated against seem nobler than it would if they said "They are discriminating against me because I have a medical condition that makes it difficult for me to communicate as well as other people do who don't have it". Some people may be afraid that calling it a medical condition rather than a difference will make others think that it's possibly sometimes justified to deny us certain things, even though it's not. People who don't want to be associated with the idea of the severely autistic person or of someone who is disabled or not capable of doing certain things may decide that it's not a medical condition so that their pride doesn't get hurt.

Again, it's not the same thing as hair color or height or race or sexual orientation, etc.

TLDR; Just because it may make you feel better to think that you don't have a medical condition, only a difference, doesn't make it true.

ETA; Also, conforming doesn't mean making yourself fitting into a certain specific little box that turns you into the perfect All American Prom King/Queen or whatever your idea of fitting in is. Fitting is just means not being too far outside the norm, and the norm covers a whole lot of things. I'm completely myself but I just manage to keep under control the things that need to be under control. There are times when I'm in a conversation with someone I've just met and they say something that I want to correct and then to go on for 20 or 30 minutes explaining the entire concept of whatever it is to them, but I don't do that because it's just not something you do. There are times when I feel very close to a meltdown in a public place and I get out of there really fast to prevent it because meltdowns in public aren't pleasant for anyone including me. There are times when I get very pissed off at how unfair something is and I want to make a fool out of myself by arguing it to death with the clerk, then the shift boss, then the assistant manager, then the manager, then the owner of the company, but I don't do that. There are times when I feel that if I have to speak to one more person and pretend to be nice one more minute that I will scream and I want to be left totally alone, so I make an excuse and sit down somewhere by myself and put my hand on my forehead and close my eyes like I have a headache so others will leave me alone, because telling them that I'm overwhelmed isn't any of their business, etc. Adjusting how you act in public and with other people isn't "not being yourself" at all. What exactly do you think I'm suggesting that people do? I think we may have some serious communication issues here with this topic because I don't think some people here are seeing what I'm saying that we should do and may be thinking I'm saying something completely different from what I'm actually saying.

Last edited:
I've worked with people I didn't like at all. I just smiled and would pretend to be interested in what they were saying for a minute then come up with an excuse that I had to get back to work so I didn't have to deal with socializing with them.
And yet you have consistently stated you do not represent the norm. So I can't say that your tendency to be able to work with people you don't really like says much of anything about the world at large.

... I'm not trying to discriminate against other aspies by focusing on the group I'm in, it's simply the first group that popped into my mind. Whats wrong with presenting information about aspies who are contributing to society in traditional ways?
I don't think you are trying to discriminate negatively. There is nothing wrong in terms of acting maliciously. The opposite- I think your intentions are good. But it seemed that previously your motivation was partially driven by frustration at the idea that much of the world does not consider those on the spectrum who contribute "traditionally".

The thing about taking away autism and not having yourself left over is something I don't completely buy. Yes, you have had autism your whole life, so have I. So has everyone with autism. If they made a magic pill that would take away my AS and I took it right now, I think the only things that would be gone are the difficulties I have. It wouldn't take away my interests. I've got some pretty strange special interests too, but I would still have them. I'd still have my intelligence and the same skills I have. I might lose the hyperfocus I sometimes get when I'm caught up in something I'm very interested in, but that may be a good thing. I don't believe AS makes us any smarter than we would be without it. Taking away the AS wouldn't take away the interests but it may take away the level of intensity we have in those interests. That could be a good thing overall.

You don't have to buy it. In fact you seem to misinterpret what it means to some extent. It doesn't mean the same for everyone. Your explanation of why you don't buy it is also supported specifically by your own experience. My statement is supported by my experience- but also the fact that it is a neurological disorder [classified as, by the way- I'm not even addressing "medical condition or not"].

This means that it affects processing of our environment. So it affects how we understand and engage with our environment and with other people. If I perceive my environment differently from the majority of other people, I will also often encounter different experiences than most people on a personal level. I know this now by observation.

Being autistic means that a person literally comprehends the world differently- so you also store memories differently than other people. If you change that, change how a person encodes memories? You are changing who they are. We are our memories and our experiences. Short term, one experience can not generally change a personality drastically. Over time experience can change a personality drastically and permanently. So if you suddenly "take away" the things that make me autistic- as though I just don't have it? You then change my neurology, you change the way I interact and understand the world and my environment and how I respond. So you have changed how my memories form- changing encoding can affect personality. Changing what information you intake can. Even if there was a miracle pill, but it didn't change how my memories were encoded [because let's pretend the pill exists but everything else in reality still holds logically]- I still wouldn't recall them like i used to. I wouldn't understand them the same way.

So, yes. I would be a different person. A very very different person. Like, I have a memory of being traumatized because someone chased me with a vacuum cleaner and the noise literally terrified me- I'm actually feeling that anxiety right now because I remember a remnant of that terror then. If I suddenly was not autistic I would not understand that feeling anymore because WHO gets scared of vacuum cleaners? "Oh wait not me, I'm not autistic!" so I might attribute that feeling that I recall- but not longer experience, to something different. Each time we retrieve memories, also, they are subject to corrosion- eventually all my memories would be skewed to the new me.

if you take away what makes me autistic, you take away me.

If your brain works differently than mine, OOM, that's fine. But simply because you don't believe or understand something that I or another person says about themselves it doesn't mean it isn't so. It makes sense that you don't understand a lot of the animosity many people don't have toward Autism Speaks, for example because you seem to not understand many of the experiences that people share from the point of view of being on the spectrum. Many of the issues people have are things you don't seem to relate to. But simply because you choose not to to relate to them does not make them false or any less legitimate than your experience.

Your experience isn't any more right on the whole than anyone else's though. If I have problems understanding the words someone is saying unless I am looking at their mouth I will find it exhausting to speak on the telephone. But if another person doesn't have that auditory processing issue they won't understand why I hate talking on the phone or why it's exhausting. Neither of us is wrong.

This thread has gotten kind of absurd and I feel like a lot of the reason is because of lack ofacceptance that their are various experiences when you look at individuals on the spectrum- we all have differing profiles of abilities. Different strengths and weaknesses.
From how you originally framed your project that seems to be at the heart of what you wanted to show with it, OOM. Autism doesn't mean just the one thing that you seem to feel people characterize it as.

Please consider that.

Again, it's not the same thing as hair color or height or race or sexual orientation, etc.

You can hit a nail only so many times before it is flush.

Again.... aspergers is NOT a medical condition and IS the same thing as colour, race, height i.e GENETICS

I give in at this point as you obviously have a reason beyond what you're stating.

OOM, Saying AS is a "medical condition" is supremely insulting because it implies that A) it's curable and B) curing it would be a preferable course of action. Neither of those things are remotely true and if you honestly don't understand why people are offended by the very idea, than I think you need to seriously consider whether you're posting on the right forum as all you're doing now is disrupting a place that was previously peaceful and continuing to push the issue after other members have made their feelings abundantly clear.

And yet you have consistently stated you do not represent the norm. So I can't say that your tendency to be able to work with people you don't really like says much of anything about the world at large.

I don't think you are trying to discriminate negatively. There is nothing wrong in terms of acting maliciously. The opposite- I think your intentions are good. But it seemed that previously your motivation was partially driven by frustration at the idea that much of the world does not consider those on the spectrum who contribute "traditionally".

You don't have to buy it. In fact you seem to misinterpret what it means to some extent. It doesn't mean the same for everyone. Your explanation of why you don't buy it is also supported specifically by your own experience. My statement is supported by my experience- but also the fact that it is a neurological disorder [classified as, by the way- I'm not even addressing "medical condition or not"].

This means that it affects processing of our environment. So it affects how we understand and engage with our environment and with other people. If I perceive my environment differently from the majority of other people, I will also often encounter different experiences than most people on a personal level. I know this now by observation.

Being autistic means that a person literally comprehends the world differently- so you also store memories differently than other people. If you change that, change how a person encodes memories? You are changing who they are. We are our memories and our experiences. Short term, one experience can not generally change a personality drastically. Over time experience can change a personality drastically and permanently. So if you suddenly "take away" the things that make me autistic- as though I just don't have it? You then change my neurology, you change the way I interact and understand the world and my environment and how I respond. So you have changed how my memories form- changing encoding can affect personality. Changing what information you intake can. Even if there was a miracle pill, but it didn't change how my memories were encoded [because let's pretend the pill exists but everything else in reality still holds logically]- I still wouldn't recall them like i used to. I wouldn't understand them the same way.

So, yes. I would be a different person. A very very different person. Like, I have a memory of being traumatized because someone chased me with a vacuum cleaner and the noise literally terrified me- I'm actually feeling that anxiety right now because I remember a remnant of that terror then. If I suddenly was not autistic I would not understand that feeling anymore because WHO gets scared of vacuum cleaners? "Oh wait not me, I'm not autistic!" so I might attribute that feeling that I recall- but not longer experience, to something different. Each time we retrieve memories, also, they are subject to corrosion- eventually all my memories would be skewed to the new me.

if you take away what makes me autistic, you take away me.

If your brain works differently than mine, OOM, that's fine. But simply because you don't believe or understand something that I or another person says about themselves it doesn't mean it isn't so. It makes sense that you don't understand a lot of the animosity many people don't have toward Autism Speaks, for example because you seem to not understand many of the experiences that people share from the point of view of being on the spectrum. Many of the issues people have are things you don't seem to relate to. But simply because you choose not to to relate to them does not make them false or any less legitimate than your experience.

Your experience isn't any more right on the whole than anyone else's though. If I have problems understanding the words someone is saying unless I am looking at their mouth I will find it exhausting to speak on the telephone. But if another person doesn't have that auditory processing issue they won't understand why I hate talking on the phone or why it's exhausting. Neither of us is wrong.

This thread has gotten kind of absurd and I feel like a lot of the reason is because of lack ofacceptance that their are various experiences when you look at individuals on the spectrum- we all have differing profiles of abilities. Different strengths and weaknesses.
From how you originally framed your project that seems to be at the heart of what you wanted to show with it, OOM. Autism doesn't mean just the one thing that you seem to feel people characterize it as.

Please consider that.

I get what you are saying and I'm not trying to discount it. One of the huge things that AS causes is the difficulty to see something from someone else's point of view at times. It can be very hard to understand how something is a different way from how it is for yourself. An example of this is while I believe someone when they tell me that they feel the opposite of the way I do about something or someone, I literally cannot comprehend how someone could or would feel that way. That is one thing I noticed when I was on WP. I hadn't ever been around a bunch of aspies together at one time, and we will argue something that really doesn't matter to death it seems. I think a lot of us are like that.

What gets me is when people completely misinterpret what I say or what I mean and then turn around decide I'm trying to say or do something I'm not or get convinced that I've got an ulterior motive or something like that. It drives me crazy when that happens.

I'm real aware that many people have different experiences than I do with their AS. While I completely believe them when they tell me that something is hard or impossible for them to do, I just literally cannot comprehend how it is hard or impossible and why they don't just do this or that or something else. I'm the same way as well with good things too. When somebody tells me they have no trouble with something I can't do I can't comprehend that either. I don't see how they can do it so easily and while I believe them when they say they can, I'm convinced they must know some kind of secret trick or tip to do it.

And, this is going to come across as vain and I'm not in any way vain at all, but sometimes when people get snotty to me when discussing whether or not we should change things about ourselves I feel like they resent the fact that I've done certain things that they either can't or don't. It's natural to resent somebody who has done something you want to do and tried to do etc, and I know I've resented the hell out of tons of people before, so I'm not saying anything bad about it, but I think that some people want to put down my experiences and opinions because they don't want to go through all the crap you have to go through to accomplish stuff. On WP I've seen a lot of guys post about resenting how others are in relationships and stuff. I once saw a guy say that he thinks it shouldn't be allowed for people to have wedding rings, or pictures of their spouses or SO's on their desk or hold hands in public or anything at all that implies they are in a relationship because he's not in one.

I also have trouble differentiating between somebody who refuses to try to change and somebody who truly cannot change. Again, I see it a lot on WP. Especially in the love and dating section. I've seen guys there complain about how girls won't talk to them and later on in the thread they talk about how they don't shower or brush their teeth because it bothers them and how they wear a fanny pack because they think it's convenient and how they only want to talk about a special interest or something to the girl and find it hard to ask her questions about herself etc, and they say that they dont want to change those things about themselves and shouldn't have to change those things abotu themselves to get a girlfriend. Then they take it even farther and say that even though they are filthy, wear a fanny pack and only talk about the politics of Western Europe during the late Middle Ages or something, they are dissatisfied with the type of girl that might give them the time of day because she isn't pretty enough or thin enough etc. They come up with all kinds of reasons why they can't clean their bodies or brush their teeth and dig in like a pitbull on a mailman when somebody suggests that they won't ever get a girl if they look and smell like they should be sleeping under a bridge. They say that they aren't being true to themselves if they do that. I've seen people there say that it's discrimination for them to be told they can't wear sweatpants and a tshirt to work in an office, or that it's wrong to try and force aspie kids to eat with a fork and spoon and not shovel the mac and cheese into their mouths with their hands. There are actual things I've seen there.

I've also seen parents actually say that they are jealous and resentful of parents of NT kids who brag about their kids. Everybody brags about their kids and I've seen one parent actually say on there that there shouldn't be those honor student bumper stickers on cars because it makes parents of kids who have intellectual disabilities feel bad. I've recently seen people who say that it's wrong to try and change your aspie kid to teach him manners and how to act in public because they are aspies and to change the instinct and nature of them to fit in with the world is bad. By changing these things, I'm not talking about refusing to let them research their special interest or wear comfortable clothes at home, I'm talking about things like potty training, wearing clothes in general, being clean, not interrupting others, and using silverware at the table. It's this kind of thing I'm talking about.

Also, unless somebody gives me an example of what they are talking about, I truly may not know what they mean. I've asked that one particular poster several times what trouble he has with his interviews and he won't answer so I assume that he's doing something that he can change. I honestly cannot think of anything else that could be causing him the problems except for the things that cross my mind. Everybody has to change themselves to some extent to fit in with the world. Nobody has to do that but if you want to get anywhere in life, have friends and relationships etc, then you do have to change things about yourself. Even the most outgoing, friendly, perfect NT has to change something or other about himself to fit in. Nobody is born without some personality flaw, and there is nothing wrong with having flaws.

Anyway, I've rambled on all over the place here because I start talking and then think of something different lol. I'm honestly not trying to be a b*tch or put people down, but I just don't see why people are so d*mn adamant that AS is something different than it is and a lot of things that I disagree with. However, the fact that AS is a medical condition isn't just my opinion, it's a fact. It's also autism and I see people here really trying to distance themselves from the fact that it is, and I see people here only focusing on social skills and social issues. AS is a lot more than just being somebody who doesn't do well at parties, but to read this forum you would think thats all it is. You would come away with the idea that people who have AS are much smarter than NTs but are simply different in their style of communication and are being discriminated against because of that at every turn. Just because thats what a group of people focus on doesn't make it true either.

I have more problems with other aspects of AS than I do with the social skills. For me, learning the social skills was very, very hard and very, very scary and I had to try for years and years to get anything right. Now that I have that down, I don't have many problems with that. I can do that automatically and by rote and make it look good too, but I have to use different tactics for when I'm in situations where I can't stand all the smells, or the noise. I can't just wing it when I get overwhelmed or I'm so p*ssed off that I want to throttle somebody or when I'm so frustrated that I want to fall down on the floor and start hitting myself in the head and screaming like I do when I have a serious full on meltdown. It's a very different way of dealing with things and I have to use the social skills I learned to get out of them by making up an excuse really quickly and trying to make as graceful an exit as I can. Some things I've never mastered and never will. I get confused by simple things at times and I'll stand there lost, trying to figure them out looking like a complete idiot with my mouth hanging open and a slight frown on my face trying to figure something out. I'll ask stupid questions or ask for something to be explained over and over. I'll forget what I'm trying to say and forget simple everyday words and use the wrong words trying to get across what I mean. I'll go off in a completely different direction in the conversation out of the blue when nothing in it has to do with what I'm talking about and I'll bring it up because something reminds me of something else. Those things aren't like the things I can memorize and do. And yes, even though I do these things, they don't happen that often and I do pass for NT pretty much all of the time. At most somebody might think I'm a little off or maybe even high on something, but the word autistic doesn't come to mind when I get that way. So, most of my difficulties come from things other than social skills, and I wonder why hardly anything except social skills or processing are addressed here.

So, I've rambled enough now and hope I got my point across, but probably didn't. I'm going to go try and find an outfit to wear today to see if that might give me some motivation to get off my lazy *ss and do something around this house and maybe even start back on the crochet I was doing.

If I didn't get my point across, please ask me about what you dont understand. I'm perfectly happy to explain it, and when I ask questions about other's opinions or posts that is me really wanting to know, not me trying to be smart*ss.

You can hit a nail only so many times before it is flush.

Again.... aspergers is NOT a medical condition and IS the same thing as colour, race, height i.e GENETICS

I give in at this point as you obviously have a reason beyond what you're stating.

I don't have some reason except for the fact that it is a fact. What could you possibly think my reason is? Do you truly not believe that autism is a medical condition and it's no different than your hair or eye color? If so I'd really suggest you talk to a doctor about this. Not talking to a doctor as in going to a shrink to help you with some problem of yours but talking to a doctor because he went to school to learn about this stuff and he knows that it's a medical condition and he can explain to you that is is and why it is.

What reason could I possibly have for believing this and telling you this? Somebody on another thread a few days back decided I was in some conspiracy with Autism Speaks because I wasn't offended by that one lady who sucks at public speaking. Are you thinking I'm doing something like that? Seriously, what reason do you think I have?

I don't have some reason except for the fact that it is a fact. What could you possibly think my reason is? Do you truly not believe that autism is a medical condition and it's no different than your hair or eye color?

The flaw in such an argument is that it doesn't appear to take into consideration the scope of the autistic spectrum itself. Where there are cases involving those incapable of interacting in society to fulfill basic needs of survival, as well as others who simply may encounter social difficulties similar to other diverse groups such as the GLBT community.

Does the consequence and repercussions of encountering only social difficulties in society truly warrant a blanket label of a "medical condition" ?

Up until 1973 the American Psychiatric Association considered homosexuality a blanket form of "deviant behavior". Clearly social diversity can be far more complex than hair or eye color. Even more complex if it is measured in terms of one's ability to navigate society and the conformity it often demands.

Should such dynamic conditions so objectively constitute a "medical condition" ? No.

I believe such distinctions must be considered one case at a time relative to where we are on the spectrum, and more importantly how we have managed to perpetuate our lives in society. We aren't all universally helpless. Being different shouldn't objectively default to being labeled as deficient.

Yesterday we had Asperger's Syndrome. Today it's Autism Spectrum Disorder. We exist in a society where law, medicine and social distinctions can change on a dime. What one may vehemently argue as "fact" could evaporate in a socially motivated instant.

Last edited:
OOM, Saying AS is a "medical condition" is supremely insulting because it implies that A) it's curable and B) curing it would be a preferable course of action. Neither of those things are remotely true and if you honestly don't understand why people are offended by the very idea, than I think you need to seriously consider whether you're posting on the right forum as all you're doing now is disrupting a place that was previously peaceful and continuing to push the issue after other members have made their feelings abundantly clear.

Not all medical conditions are curable nor is it preferable to cure them all. I'm not here to insult or anything like that. I'm here to chat on a forum. Simply because you are offended because it's a medical condition doesn't make it not so. Are you honestly trying to tell me that autism isn't a medical condition?

Pregnancy is a medical condition too. Thats not a bad thing. I'm in perimenopause, that's a medical condition. I have clinical depression, thats a medical condition. I have a thyroid that is slightly overactive and not treatable with meds because of several reasons and no matter how much I eat, I stay thin. Thats a medical condition and it's not something that I want cured at all. My husband is dyslexic and there is no cure for that and his dyslexia is a medical condition. It's not insulting for something to be a medical condition. Not all medical conditions are curable and not all medical conditions need to be cured or even treated.

Argue with the AMA if you want to have autism not classified as a medical condition anymore, I didn't make the rules you know.

Also, I'm happy to talk about a lot of things without arguing, and I certainly do when there is a thread about something I'm interested in. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they are causing trouble. It doesn't make either of us a bad person or anything negative at all because we disagree about this topic. It simply makes us disagree. I certainly never saw any rule that says "If you disagree with the majority of the posters for God's sakes never say it here because you are disrupting if you do". Disagreement is part of life. I've been on forums which would ban you for opinions they didn't like and they said so flat out in the rules. I saw nothing about that in there. I'm simply trying to explain why I feel the way I do and understand why others feel the way they do. I ask something and state an opinion and all I get in return is "It's like this because I feel that it is and we all feel that it is and you shouldn't ever say differently here because it upsets us". I'm more than happy to explain how I come to the conclusions that I do and why I think what I think. Can others not return the courtesy?

As for being offended that it's a medical condition, I do not understand how anybody could be offended by that. As I said, not all conditions are curable and it's not always preferable to cure them. Autism is in all the medical textbooks, they teach about it in medical school and nursing school, some treatments for it are covered by health insurance. If it isn't a medical condition then why are those things so? If it's not a medical condition then why do doctors diagnose you with it? You certainly can't diagnose someone with blonde hair or green eyes. Why does it cause so many problems other than just social difficulties if it's not a medical condition. It changes how your brain processes things. That is medical. Even though it may not be a negative thing, it is still different from the norm.

Simply because things have a negative connotation doesn't mean they are bad things. I have AS. I have a medical condition. I have depression which is a medical condition but it's also a psychiatric disorder. I have a psychiatric disorder. When I say psychiatric disorder what comes to mind a lot of times is someone hearing voices or hallucinating or being a psychopath, etc when most psychiatric disorders aren't anything like that. I also used to have panic disorder and agoraphobia, so I had serious psychiatric disorders at the time which caused a lot of trouble in my life. That still doesn't make it bad.

My mother was a nurse and ended up working in hospital administration before she retired. I was an only child and my mother talked to me like an adult a lot of times and so I heard an awful lot of medical stuff. She was all about her career back then because it was during the time when women were breaking the glass ceiling in the workforce and she was one of them. There were nursing journals all around the house and she took me to work with her a lot. I was also sick a lot as a child with respiratory infections and such and I was in and out of the hospital, going to doctors, on meds a lot, etc. In other words I grew up basically surrounded by medical stuff whether it was for me or someone else, but it was always there. As a result of that I am very comfortable with medical things and with people taking medicine for things and having things treated by doctors. To me the words "medical condition" never had negative connotations. There are so many conditions out there that people don't even know about that you would be hard pressed to find anybody, anywhere without a medical condition. Thats one reason I'm having such a hard time with understanding why it offends people. Just because I say that it is one doesn't mean I'm saying something like "Your personality sucks and you need to go to the doctor and have it cured" nor am I saying that we are "less than" others because we have it. You know, there is a medical condition that causes men to have a much larger than average penis, I don't think anybody would be offended by someone saying that a guy who had it has a medical condition. There is also one that causes guys to have a much smaller than average penis. I actually dated a guy with that once - long story short it didn't work out at all and not just because of that - and no pun intended there. I imagine that the guy with that condition might be offended by it being called a medical condition though. The difference between the two is that the guy who has the big wiener just doesn't care what anybody says about it because he's proud of it and the guy with the half a cocktail frank is so defensive about his that he's going to get offended by anything that even resembles something negative.

I'm honestly not trying to offend, I'm trying to discuss, thats all.

If so I'd really suggest you talk to a doctor about this. Not talking to a doctor as in going to a shrink to help you with some problem of yours but talking to a doctor because he went to school to learn about this stuff and he knows that it's a medical condition and he can explain to you that is is and why it is.

This is what I love about the internet, I guess if I should talk to a doctor about my condition then I should just consult myself as my company was a medical research facility. Guess I will go with my own advice on this then ;)

Societies perception of us doesn't fix the issues that AS causes us. No matter how much you want to turn AS into something it isn't, it is always going to be a medical condition. It is always something that will cause problems for those who have it, no matter how severely or mildly we have it.

That's largely incorrect. Fix society's perceptions about what is "acceptable" social behavior, and most aspie quirks are no longer issues.

It is always going to cause us to do things that others look at strangely.

And here you recognize that the issues lie with the perceptions of others, not with the aspies.

It is not a type of personality or a sexual orientation or a race or an ethnicity.

It's very much like those things, as you alluded in your previous sentence.

No matter how much acceptance a person gets it won't fix the deficits we have because of the AS.

To which "deficits," exactly, are you referring? I can't think of any "deficits" that I have that are not strengths in other contexts. They're two sides of the same coin, inseparable.

Last edited:
The flaw in such an argument is that it doesn't appear to take into consideration the scope of the autistic spectrum itself. Where there are cases involving those incapable of interacting in society to fulfill basic needs of survival, as well as others who simply may encounter social difficulties similar to other diverse groups such as the GLBT community.

Does the consequence and repercussions of encountering only social difficulties in society truly warrant a blanket label of a "medical condition" ?

Up until 1973 the American Psychiatric Association considered homosexuality a blanket form of "deviant behavior". Clearly social diversity can be far more complex than hair or eye color. Even more complex if it is measured in terms of one's ability to navigate society and the conformity it often demands.

Should such dynamic conditions so objectively constitute a "medical condition" ? No.

I believe such distinctions must be considered one case at a time relative to where we are on the spectrum, and more importantly how we have managed to perpetuate our lives in society. We aren't all universally helpless. Being different shouldn't objectively default to being labeled as deficient.

Yesterday we had Asperger's Syndrome. Today it's Autism Spectrum Disorder. We exist in a society where law, medicine and social distinctions can change on a dime. What one may vehemently argue as "fact" could evaporate in a socially motivated instant.

Having a medical condition doesn't mean you are helpless. There are many medical conditions that don't have anything at all to do with how you function and how you socialize. Being lactose intolerant is a medical condition that doesn't have anything to do with how you function or socialize and it certainly doesn't render you helpless.

However, if you concede that autism is a medical condition then it's only logical that AS is a medical condition as well. The severity of whatever the condition is doesn't change the fact that it's a condition.

I think I get what it is that's bothering people. They don't want to be associated with the low functioning autistics. They want people to know they are not at all like that, so it's ok for the low functioning people to have a medical condition but it's not ok for someone to have a medical condition when the only problems they see from it are that it causes them to have trouble socializing.

AS causes many more problems than just social ones. It's not just a different way of communication. It causes lots of issues that at times need medical intervention to allow the person to function or to improve the quality of their life. You can't say that it's no different than hair and eye color to take away the stigma or say that it's like being gay to show the bigotry of people who won't hire someone with AS because of how they come across. It is what it is no matter what you or I or Joe Blow down the street says about it.

If it's not a medical condition then why do you get diagnosed with it?

Having a medical condition doesn't mean you are helpless. There are many medical conditions that don't have anything at all to do with how you function and how you socialize. Being lactose intolerant is a medical condition that doesn't have anything to do with how you function or socialize and it certainly doesn't render you helpless.

However, if you concede that autism is a medical condition then it's only logical that AS is a medical condition as well. The severity of whatever the condition is doesn't change the fact that it's a condition.

I think I get what it is that's bothering people. They don't want to be associated with the low functioning autistics. They want people to know they are not at all like that, so it's ok for the low functioning people to have a medical condition but it's not ok for someone to have a medical condition when the only problems they see from it are that it causes them to have trouble socializing.

AS causes many more problems than just social ones. It's not just a different way of communication. It causes lots of issues that at times need medical intervention to allow the person to function or to improve the quality of their life. You can't say that it's no different than hair and eye color to take away the stigma or say that it's like being gay to show the bigotry of people who won't hire someone with AS because of how they come across. It is what it is no matter what you or I or Joe Blow down the street says about it.

I see no point in you waging an objective argument over something that is clearly subjective in origin with the precedents I've outlined.

You're ultimately waging a battle of semantics and little else. Why bother?

Also consider this: If it were categorically a medical condition, the medical community would be obliged to treat it as such. And neither they or government entitlements reflect it.

This is what I love about the internet, I guess if I should talk to a doctor about my condition then I should just consult myself as my company was a medical research facility. Guess I will go with my own advice on this then ;)

So you're a doctor? Or do you own a medical research facility?

I see no point in you waging an objective argument over something that is clearly subjective in origin with the precedents I've outlined.

You're ultimately waging a battle of semantics and little else. Why bother?

No, it's not subjective as to whether or not something is a medical condition. The arguments I've heard against it being one are subjective though. It isn't one because it upsets people when it's called one. Either way I do agree that there is no reason to argue about it. We need to just agree to disagree because it's going to just go on and on and nobody will change their minds and it will end up with someone getting tacky and insulting each other instead of just sticking to the debate.

Either way, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree

Not only are you now clutching at straws, you are being offensive. Be very careful.

Diagnosis - the act of identifying. Not restricted to illness, disorders, or medical conditions.

Your plumber may diagnose a leak, or your mechanic a fault with the car.

That's largely incorrect. Fix society's perceptions about what is "acceptable" social behavior, and most aspie quirks are no longer issues.

And here you recognize that the issues lie with the perceptions of others, not with the aspies.

It's very much like those things, as you alluded in your previous sentence.

To which "deficits," exactly, are you referring? I can't think of any "deficits" that I have that are not strengths in other contexts. They're two sides of the same coin, inseparable.

I'm not even going to discuss this with you anymore. I'm actually pretty much done with this thread because it's gotten way into the ridiculous. I'll make my thing about educating the public and showing them examples of people with AS contributing to society and you can make you something to tell everybody out there what they need to think and how society needs to change and then we can see which one does what.

More than likely neither will do anything, but I still think it's worth doing.

I'm not even going to check this thread any more so feel free to talk about how autism isn't a medical condition, that society needs to learn to disregard any accepted norms and standards, that we didn't land on the mood, 9/11 was an inside job and that I have ulterior motives in joining the forum because I'm secretly in cahoots with Autism Speaks and we are hiding the fact that I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll and I was the one who really shot Kennedy, not Oswald ;-)

Have at it, I hereby officially surrender the thread to you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom