• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideas for educating the public about AS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliveOilMom

I have some missing posts.
When people who aren't familiar with autism hear the word "autistic" they immediately think of a low functioning child. This is because when you see an autistic person on TV or in a movie, they are usually low functioning and usually a child. It's usually a plot device not meant to harm and it's factual many times because there are many low functioning children with autism, but it does create a link in people's minds between autism and low functioning. While there have recently been more characters on television with AS, and awareness of AS is spreading, AS characters usually have a good bit of problems from the AS and they are never portrayed as a normal person with a normal life and their AS is just part of the character. Because of this and the lack of many AS people publicly admitting their diagnosis, most people don't know that there are many of us who are functioning and contributing members of society. Until people learn that autism doesn't always mean that a person can't ever work or live on their own, people will still make assumptions about it.

I think that those of us who are able to do something to get the word out about the milder end of the spectrum should step up and work to educate the public about it. We can't really sit back and complain about people's opinions of autism if we aren't doing anything to educate them and change opinions, so what are some ideas of what could be done?

I think a tv ad campaign would be good, but that would be expensive and need backers. Something along the lines of a 15 second slideshow type spot showing ordinary people doing ordinary everyday things, each looking at the camera and saying "I have autism" ending with a black screen and the name and web address of an organization with information about AS.

An AS walk, with literature to pass out about AS and possibly other information there as well, but limiting it to AS.

Some sort of website about people with AS who are contributing members of society. I have no idea how this could be set up or what would be on it.

Getting the media to profile local professional people with AS during autism awareness month. Again, I don't know details of it yet, just an overview of the idea.

I know there are more things that could be done and need to be done, but right now I'm just looking for ideas.

I might write a few pieces for our local paper here for autism awareness month, and possibly see about submitting other pieces to some other papers in my state, but I need to sit down and give it some thought. I'm not sure exactly what I'd write about, but I'm considering trying to interview some professional people with it, and people like me who don't work but it's by choice and not because we can't - we contribute to society in other ways besides working outside the home.

What are some things ya'll can think of that might help educate the public?

The lady at Autism Speaks said they are looking at doing some education about adults with autism and also about adults with AS who work and live independently etc, but I think we should do something to.

Ideas and suggestions please?

First rule of discussing anything here: NEVER cite Autism Speaks as if they're a legit organization. Putting it mildly, we don't like them. I'll let others elaborate on that if they wish.

On topic, I'm currently collaborating with another aspie on a screenplay for an animated film with an aspie protagonist and while this isn't my sole reason for wanting to make the film or even the primary reason, should the film get made and released I intend to use it as a platform to draw more positive attention to AS.

While there have recently been more characters on television with AS, and awareness of AS is spreading, AS characters usually have a good bit of problems from the AS and they are never portrayed as a normal person with a normal life and their AS is just part of the character.

I'm not so sure that would be a realistic portrayal of people with AS. I can relate to characters like Sheldon Cooper, Sherlock (British more than US version), and House. They're all different from me in their own ways, but they're the same in that their AS, even undiagnosed, is a massively important reason for why they are who they are.

Most of us are not leading normal lives as normal people who just happen to have AS.

Society certainly needs to be better educated about AS. We shouldn't try to do that by downplaying the seriousness of AS. We should do that by showing them that AS provides us with strengths that far outweigh our quirks. Those of us with AS should be highly valued by society and employers.

I have AS, and I have no desire to be, or be perceived as, normal. I want society to understand that their current metric for valuing people is deficient.

I'm not so sure that would be a realistic portrayal of people with AS. I can relate to characters like Sheldon Cooper, Sherlock (British more than US version), and House. They're all different from me in their own ways, but they're the same in that their AS, even undiagnosed, is a massively important reason for why they are who they are.

Most of us are not leading normal lives as normal people who just happen to have AS.

Society certainly needs to be better educated about AS. We shouldn't try to do that by downplaying the seriousness of AS. We should do that by showing them that AS provides us with strengths that far outweigh our quirks. Those of us with AS should be highly valued by society and employers.

I have AS, and I have no desire to be, or be perceived as, normal. I want society to understand that their current metric for valuing people is deficient.

I'm talking about functioning normally and contributing to society. I'm talking about showing them that autism isn't only low functioning people who need others to care for them. I want to show people who who are independent and who do the normal things, whether or not they do them normally or come across normally.

There are plenty of aspies with jobs or marriages and families and who take care of themselves. I'm not talking about not showing quirks, I'm talking about showing the rest of a person and not just the quirks. I'm talking about portraying them as a person who is contributing and independent and also has AS, not portraying them as someone who has AS and who just happens to be independent and contributing to society.

Of course we should be attributed the same worth as everyone else whether we are able to work or contribute or not, but focusing so much on the autism takes the interest away from the point of the education, which is that many of us can and do take care of ourselves and others.

I'm happy to be perceived as normal. I'm happy to be normal. Yes, I have AS and I have quirks but I usually handle them. Right now we need to enlighten people to the fact that we exist and we function and contribute and are independent before we get into the whole changing how society thinks issue.

I'm talking about showing the rest of a person and not just the quirks. I'm talking about portraying them as a person who is contributing and independent and also has AS, not portraying them as someone who has AS and who just happens to be independent and contributing to society.

That's not realistic. Most aspies who are contributing to society at their full potential are able to do so by leveraging the strengths their AS provides.

AS doesn't happen in the background.

... I might write a few pieces for our local paper here for autism awareness month ...

I think that's a great idea! It's not until April so there's time.

Here's some easy ideas, individuals could reach out to their own local news networks & local papers to see if & how Autism Awareness month will be covered or discussed; & do things like write & submit a piece or letter to the editor of your local papers.

Contact the local public school boards &/or superintendents & see if you can arrange to speak to the parents' organizations & students about Autism & Aspergers.

Multiply that out by everyone who claims to be interested & that would touch a lot of lives with some new & current information.

Last edited:
"I'm currently collaborating with another aspie on a screenplay for an animated film with an aspie protagonist and while this isn't my sole reason for wanting to make the film or even the primary reason, should the film get made and released I intend to use it as a platform to draw more positive attention to AS.

Very cool, ^ great idea! Good luck with this! I hope you'll provide updates. :)

Those of us with AS should be highly valued by society and employers. I have AS, and I have no desire to be, or be perceived as, normal. I want society to understand that their current metric for valuing people is deficient.

Jaywalker, this may be redundant or assumed, but in case any one misses the point ... everyone should know that every human being, AS or non-AS, is unique & valuable.

But any person, as an employee, whether AS or non-AS, is ONLY going to be valued by their employer in so much as they truly 'add value'. Their contribution to the job or business must out-weigh in sufficient measure their overall cost to the business or employer. That is just pure economics.

If you start & are running, or are responsible for a business, & hire for instance, me; I will need to provide your business a value that sufficiently exceeds the total cost of you employing me.

That's just going to be a tangible fact of life.

But any person, as an employee, whether AS or non-AS, is ONLY going to be valued by their employer in so much as they truly 'add value'. Their contribution to the job or business must out-weigh in sufficient measure their overall cost to the business or employer. That is just pure economics.

Yes, that microeconomic reality is part of what I'm getting at.

The problem is that a market economy only works as well as consumers, which are the employers in the labor market, are informed about the goods, in this case potential employees.

Currently society, and thus most employers, see only our quirks and view aspies as defective goods. They fail to look past the quirks to see the strengths that would make us valuable, scarce goods in a market with perfect information.

As inconvenient as it might be, our quirks are often just alternate manifestations of our strengths. For example, I have an extremely analytical mind, at least by NT standards. In some applications, that's a valuable quality. In other applications, it's not the least bit desirable, but it remains nonetheless.

I started watching Big Bang Theory before I knew much about AS. At that time, I simply assumed that Sheldon was created as a sitcom version of Star Trek's Spock. My high opinion of the character has not changed since I learned more about, and was diagnosed with, AS, and learned that he was created based on a real life person who was probably an undiagnosed aspie. I can completely relate to how the same logical mind that makes him a brilliant theoretical physicist also makes for absurdly awkward social interactions.

Aspies aren't normal, but that's okay. That's our strength. We also don't need to be portrayed in pop culture as normal people who just happen to have AS. That's not a realistic portrayal. We need to educate society about the value we can add as aspies.

Last edited:
I think that those of us who are able to do something to get the word out about the milder end of the spectrum should step up and work to educate the public about it. We can't really sit back and complain about people's opinions of autism if we aren't doing anything to educate them and change opinions, so what are some ideas of what could be done?

I'm not familiar with your background except for having read that you were active on WrongPlanet, so forgive me if some of this sounds elementary. One of the considerations in becoming an advocate for any cause is your personal Ethos, or credibility, both within the target community you wish to represent and for the satisfaction of the broader community in which they operate. To avoid resistance from within the target community, an individual must have a substantial history of involvement and a temperament that's proven to appeal to most all comers. To avoid resistance from the broader community, an individual must have some sort of credentials beyond just being a member of the group they represent. The aforementioned involvement is a great start, but you also need to be extremely well-versed in the full array of issues of the group you're representing.

These details, along with personal manifestations of Asperger's/Autism, are good reasons why many capable people don't take on an advocate role to "get the word out", as you phrased it. Much like parenthood, it's not for everyone, unfortunately including many of the people who decide to do it.

I've been heavily involved in community advocacy for various populations for the past decade. I've given lectures to social work and social psychology students as well as community organizations on a number of topics, and I also have training in counseling, general social work, systems theory and group dynamics, community organization, interfaith outreach, and the psychology of special and minority populations. What I've found in the Asperger's community is that this is a very difficult diagnosis and group to speak for unless you reeeeeeally know what you're doing. I'd be part of a group advocacy effort, but no way in heck would I speak for this crew on my own. The best I'd do solo would be to talk about AS from my own experience, to people within my own immediate social ecosystem.

An important point, only because you mentioned it: Asperger's Syndrome isn't mild autism. That's kind of a biggie if you plan on writing articles, etc.

The lady at Autism Speaks said they are looking at doing some education about adults with autism and also about adults with AS who work and live independently etc, but I think we should do something to.

Other members have spoken to this already, but you might want to go easy with any reference to Autism Speaks if you want to become an advocate for the Asperger's community, and especially if you wish to inspire people here at AC with your own enthusiasm. That outfit isn't considered an ally around here. Some reasons are more studied and rational than others; still, the essential thread of skepticism is well founded.

I'm not trying to tear you down, I promise you. I'm merely stating some truths about what you're suggesting.

Other members have spoken to this already, but you might want to go easy with any reference to Autism Speaks if you want to become an advocate for the Asperger's community, and especially if you wish to inspire people here at AC with your own enthusiasm. That outfit isn't considered an ally around here. Some reasons are more studied and rational than others; still, the essential thread of skepticism is well founded.

I'm not trying to tear you down, I promise you. I'm merely stating some truths about what you're suggesting.

I'm going to answer all these later on, after I get some other things done, but I do want to say first off that I'm not interested in inspiring anybody or speaking for anybody. This is simply a thread to list some ideas about what we could do to educate the public.

Also I don't buy into the conspiracy theories about Autism Speaks. you don't have to like them, but I don't have to hate them. We are all allowed our own opinions. People need to stop freaking just because they are mentioned in a sentence.

Also I don't buy into the conspiracy theories about Autism Speaks. you don't have to like them, but I don't have to hate them. We are all allowed our own opinions. People need to stop freaking just because they are mentioned in a sentence.

You belittle genuine, valid concerns when you unjustifiably (and incorrectly) refer to those concerns as "conspiracy theories."

Yes, that microeconomic reality is part of what I'm getting at.

The problem is that a market economy only works as well as consumers, which are the employers in the labor market, are informed about the goods, in this case potential employees.

Currently society, and thus most employers, see only our quirks and view aspies as defective goods. They fail to look past the quirks to see the strengths that would make us valuable, scarce goods in a market with perfect information.

As inconvenient as it might be, our quirks are often just alternate manifestations of our strengths. For example, I have an extremely analytical mind, at least by NT standards. In some applications, that's a valuable quality. In other applications, it's not the least bit desirable, but it remains nonetheless.

I started watching Big Bang Theory before I knew much about AS. At that time, I simply assumed that Sheldon was created as a sitcom version of Star Trek's Spock. My high opinion of the character has not changed since I learned more about, and was diagnosed with, AS, and learned that he was created based on a real life person who was probably an undiagnosed aspie. I can completely relate to how the same logical mind that makes him a brilliant theoretical physicist also makes for absurdly awkward social interactions.

Aspies aren't normal, but that's okay. That's our strength. We also don't need to be portrayed in pop culture as normal people who just happen to have AS. That's not a realistic portrayal. We need to educate society about the value we can add as aspies.

Nothing in life is perfect, that goes against nature, & no market will ever have a "perfect" information input.

But I respectfully disagree that society in general & our market based economy are not adequately informed about the pool of employees etc.. & that being a factor to holding any given person - Aspie or not - back from their own personal potential success.

It is incumbent on any & every individual to personally make the case for themselves to an employer that they can do a given job competently, & also prove same if given the opportunity.

Someone with a brilliant mind & capabilities as say the character of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory or Spock from Star Trek would have little problem being employed IRL to their full abilities because they are just that - brilliant & capable. Their quirks or lack of sociability would be insignificant to the contribution they would or could provide to an organization. IRL such a person would be highly valued & even sought after.

But not every Aspie is a Sheldon, or a Temple Grandin. That does not mean they are less unique or valuable as a human being, but it does mean that you cannot equate what every single Aspie has to offer to an employer as being equivalent to these few. Just like one cannot equate every single professional baseball player to say Babe Ruth.

I also respectfully disagree that employers or the 'market economy' sees Aspies as damaged or defective goods. If someone truly has that much to offer, any oddities or lack of social skills can & would be easily overlooked. But if someone's issues, whatever they are, cause them to be unable to competently perform a job, that changes the equation completely.

There are many Aspies who are gainfully & very successfully employed. There are many more who are not. At the same time there are many "NTs" in the same position of either being underemployed, or successfully employed.

There are also entrepreneurs making new things happen & creating their own success every single day; higher education not required. But there is a big difference between a true entrepreneur & what some call a "wantrepreneur".

I know many very intelligent, highly competent & analytical NTs. So although those traits are of course valuable, they are not a rarity.

The key for any single person to reach their own potential is to stop attaching themselves to 'group think' & start thinking outside the box as to their own place in the world.

How can someone give up excuses & justifications, & personally improve themselves & their situation in life?

If someone knows that they truly have much to offer an employer, but are unsuccessful in getting hired - they need to evaluate what they must alter or change about their job search efforts.

I am not dismissing the particular difficulties & hurdles any Aspie must face, but as Einstein is often credited (or mis-credited) with saying: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

If you KNOW you can do something, but it's not happening for you ... adjust your approach. Don't wait for the world to become more perfect, because you will be waiting forever. ;)

I think there're plenty of people out there who talk about Autism nowdays. Yes, the only thing you might be hearing about in the media is Autism Speaks, just because they have money. But, back to people with Autism. I've just contacted GRASP (Autism awareness organization) in hope that they'll provide me with some information about advocacy and self-advocacy, they transferred me to a different organization, which contacted me swiftly. They provided me with a lot of information, I still have to go through it all... what I see currently happening is that a lot of people with Autism come out and share their stories. So if you are really looking for information about Autism through the eyes of those on the spectrum there's much more information now than it was a few years ago. And I think it's great but... to me and my family those stories are pretty much useless, they may be good for those who isn't on the spectrum but they lack one thing: information that can help dealing with challenges. So that's my personal goal to (hopefully) provide people with information that can actually be helpful. But everybody has their own path, some share stories, some do research, some talk about therapies, some talk about employment etc etc. Maybe you should ask yourself what you, personally, can do and just do it. What story can you share? What information can you provide? Look into your personal experience and be the kind of advocate you want to be, and other people will decide for themselves what they want to be. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to answer all these later on, after I get some other things done, but I do want to say first off that I'm not interested in inspiring anybody or speaking for anybody. This is simply a thread to list some ideas about what we could do to educate the public.

I'm not asking you to hate them. It isn't my right. I was simply suggesting as a word of caution that the organization is a sensitive topic here, for very good reasons, and that any stated sympathy with Autism Speaks is likely to undermine any very good intentions you may have to advocate for the Asperger's community. Reviewing your list of ideas, what you are wanting to do is indeed advocacy. I think it's pretty great, actually. I do think it's fair to offer cautions though, as someone who's done a lot of group advocacy, myself. It's a sensitive undertaking.

I don't buy into conspiracy theories, either. I was being polite by saying that some reasons AC members have for "hating" Autism Speaks are "more studied and rational than others". To be more blunt, I've seen some pretty nutty comments about the organization on these forums. Nonetheless, Autism Speaks has fairly earned its reputation among Aspies as unfriendly, so I respect everyone's individual reasons for their hard feelings whether I agree with them all or not.

Re. Autism Speaks & some other big organizations .... they do a lot of publicity etc... but that's why - although it's small, I think it's important for individuals who are Aspie to do things like reach out in their local community using the perfect timing of Autism Awareness month to write something for the local paper, speak to a school, etc... & educate those people about Autism & Aspergers ... what it means in your life, how it is special but what makes it difficult, & what other people can do to understand & even help someone they might meet or encounter who is Autistic ... & so on.

Because this is something that CAN be done. Can be done RIGHT NOW. Now theoretically or hypothetically, or in a perfect world, or IF you had a large org with millions of dollars! Right now, take advantage of an opportunity staring you in the face & do something that touches people & will make a difference. And every one who learns something new knows another person, who knows another & so on.

This does not mean that something bigger & grander can't be ideally achieved someday in the future. But what about right now? :p

information that can help dealing with challenges. So that's my personal goal to (hopefully) provide people with information that can actually be helpful. But everybody has their own path, some share stories, some do research, some talk about therapies, some talk about employment etc etc. Maybe you should ask yourself what you, personally, can do and just do it. What story can you share? What information can you provide? Look into your personal experience and be the kind of advocate you want to be, and other people will decide for themselves what they want to be. :)

Epath13, That sounds like a great idea! I was just thinking .... inspired by Jaywalker, that maybe some people on the spectrum need a kind of coaching or mentoring with their job searches, finding the right fit, getting hired, over coming specific challenges in the workplace when working ... etc.... NOT as some have described it to me as trying to make an Aspie more NT like, but helping someone achieve more of their full potential ... over come & address challenges etc... Only for those who are interested. Who feel that they are being overlooked or discounted by an employer because they are Aspergers. For whatever reason they are not getting interviewed, or not getting whatever job - regardless of the 'reason' - how to turn that around for someone personally.

Changing lives one life at a time.

Last edited:
It is incumbent on any & every individual to personally make the case for themselves to an employer that they can do a given job competently, & also prove same if given the opportunity.

"If given the opportunity" is a HUGE if. Aspies are at a huge disadvantage during the interview process.

Someone with a brilliant mind & capabilities as say the character of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory or Spock from Star Trek would have little problem being employed IRL to their full abilities because they are just that - brilliant & capable. Their quirks or lack of sociability would be insignificant to the contribution they would or could provide to an organization. IRL such a person would be highly valued & even sought after.
If someone truly has that much to offer, any oddities or lack of social skills can & would be easily overlooked.

In real life it would be extremely unlikely that either would make it past the interview process, if they got that far, at least in present day USA. Networking is key to obtaining employment, and successfully navigating office politics is usually key to keeping them. Social skills are disproportionately valued, because many people are uncomfortable working around socially awkward people. It comes back to society not being able to accurately measure a person's potential value.

There are lots of highly intelligent aspies who would love to find work appropriate to their intellectual ability and skill set. Being qualified isn't enough to get a job.

(Incidentally, I've had a supervisor tell me I was his most valuable worker and fire me in the same breath. I seriously doubt that's a unique experience among aspies.)

There are many Aspies who are gainfully & very successfully employed. There are many more who are not. At the same time there are many "NTs" in the same position of either being underemployed, or successfully employed.

That the unemployment rate for aspies is an order of magnitude higher than for the general workforce strongly supports my point and severely undermines the supposition that aspies are fairly valued by the labor market.

"Although research on the topic is limited, most experts agree the unemployment rate for people with Asperger's is as high as 85 percent, according to the Autism Support Network."

You belittle genuine, valid concerns when you unjustifiably (and incorrectly) refer to those concerns as "conspiracy theories."

I don't lump every dislike into conspiracy theory. Not at all. I lump the conspiracy theories into it though. I can see the difference between disliking their media campaigns and disliking the fact that genetic research may lead to prenatal tests which will lead to abortions vs. someone deciding that they have an ulterior motive and master plan to wipe out all autistics, institutionalize and torture us, legally remove all our rights, and remove us from society altogether. The former is opinion, the latter is conspiracy theory. I see more conspiracy theory based paranoia about them than I do simple dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom