• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I went to an aspie meetup last night..

That is a possibility, but I cannot even think of a way to find other adults who would be interested. My therapist is a part of a group with about 25 others and I am the sole adult with HFA.

Any suggestions?
Same sort of issue for me. I live in a relatively small town. The therapist I used to have here said she knows of no other adults with HFA.

I have the privilege of having met a few people on the spectrum. I find the condition isn't uncommon in the trassexual community, with which I maintain some contact. My exes fiance is also on the spectrum and we are making an effort to get to know each other. We went out for coffee a couple of weeks ago and shared our experiences.

I've checked Meetup for gatherings in my area, but there doesn't appear to be anything, save for a more general disabilities centered group that meet quite infrequently. I could start a group up myself, but I would feel like a charlatan doing so without a diagnosis.

I have been a meet up member for 6 years....maybe been to 6 meet ups....I belong to several groups, mostly outdoor groups, the meet ups are either to far , to noisy, to many people, have processed food....
I just don't know if I could spend time around people like me....

I had no joy with Meetup, nothing around, so googled local charity groups and found one in my area - I've been going for a year now, unfortunately it's almost always parents of kids with AS/ASD, so I generally end up either talking to NT's about their kids or playing with the kids when they come along.. it's not bad and it's a morning out once a month.
I had more success with a local mental health charity I also googled - people there have a wide range of issues, but I get along ok there, they have a few of activity groups a month - coffee morning, lunch, bowling..
It's definitely worth looking for more than just Aspergers groups out there. :)

I have been a meet up member for 6 years....maybe been to 6 meet ups....I belong to several groups, mostly outdoor groups, the meet ups are either to far , to noisy, to many people, have processed food....
I just don't know if I could spend time around people like me....
I went to another one this week and had a very different experience.. different coffee shop, different people. Ended up being mostly parents with their ASD older kids.. I did not have a great experience this time.. one of the moms made a snide remark saying she wouldn't guess I was aspie (before I had said more than 2 words to her so idk where that comment came from..and I probably took it the wrong way so I'm trying not to be offended but I kind of am).. and there were just too many conversations going on. The guy next to me wouldn't quit talking about martial arts and cults and was talking very loudly.. and lots of noise from the street.. and a streetlight was blinding me the entire time. conversation was more random about special interests rather than being a focused autism discussion. Definitely not interested in hanging out with that particular group again. But wow interesting perspective on what it's like to be around me when I'm in monologue mode.. I really need to watch that.

I had no joy with Meetup, nothing around, so googled local charity groups and found one in my area - I've been going for a year now, unfortunately it's almost always parents of kids with AS/ASD, so I generally end up either talking to NT's about their kids or playing with the kids when they come along.. it's not bad and it's a morning out once a month.
I had more success with a local mental health charity I also googled - people there have a wide range of issues, but I get along ok there, they have a few of activity groups a month - coffee morning, lunch, bowling..
It's definitely worth looking for more than just Aspergers groups out there. :)
Totally! I've had better luck with other meetup groups.. this aspie group was interesting but as far as friends go, I wouldn't want to hang out with them on a regular basis. I've met a running group on meetup that's been amazing. And I've been to some local sketching events that turned out pretty great.. didn't meet people but got to sit around in coffee shop and sketch a model, which was great. I really am making an effort to be less of a hermit.. but it can get really exhausting and then I'll need to go back in hermit mode for a few weeks or a month. I've been dating someone for the past few months so I haven't been to many other events.. dating takes pretty much all the extra social energy I have.. thankfully, this guy is happy to cook dinner and home and then sit around watching Star Wars or play with legos.. it's pretty rad, actually.. but still interrupts my schedule and makes me more tired than usual.

I think all my Meetup invites for autistics is based out of a city where I know from personal experience to contain some of the rudest people I've ever met. I tend to pretend I never saw the notice.

So, I was at a trans meeting last night. Afterward some of us went to Dennies. Of the people at our table three had been diagnosed with some form of autism. It was kind of cool having an impromptu aspie convention. One of the folks there was showing off their new stim toys, and we had a good conversation about our various quirks and interests. It was good fun, and informative.

So, I was at a trans meeting last night. Afterward some of us went to Dennies. Of the people at our table three had been diagnosed with some form of autism. It was kind of cool having an impromptu aspie convention. One of the folks there was showing off their new stim toys, and we had a good conversation about our various quirks and interests. It was good fun, and informative.
Awesome!! :)

My therapist also runs weekly Aspie group therapy sessions. I absolutely love my group. Right now we have about 5 consistent members [all Aspies in their 20s or early 30s], and it's almost like we're almost like a close family.

Meetup is also a great site, though I think the smaller group size and more structured dynamics of my therapy group were easier for me to step into.

So I'd definitely check on psychologtoday or something if there is a therapy group like that in your area as well!

Finding a good fit is tough. Try not to be too picky, but don't let people walk all over you either. Always good to give something a try, because you never know for sure until you go at least once. There's a lot more for children and teens.

Near a bigger city or in a bigger city, there are more groups generally speaking.

There are groups for older adults that mostly have people in their 20s. There's not as much for 30s and up because most people that age and up don't want to "out" themselves in any way if they do know, and they tend to have less support for getting out or getting to these groups too.

Then, there's also the potential issue of if you are living with your parents or not, it's hard to make it work if you're the only independent person. Less so, race and socioeconomics could play a role.

It's hard to find people to relate to enough, but it's good to try to experience what is out there and what is a part of reality too.

Some groups will tend to me much more highly functionable than others too. Not that there's anything wrong with having all types of disabilities and functionalities in one group. Reality is though, we tend to join a social group because we want to be able to level with people and not babysit them for free.

I hope you find a good match. It's not easy. I know that from personal experience.

That's fantastic.. How many attended? Would you always meet in a coffee shop?

I'm asking because I hate coffee, even the smell of it gives me a headache.

It has nae occurred to me to go to such a thing; it would be extremely awkward because I do make eye contact easily, and don't want to stress anyone out.

In the meetings I have gone to, everyone is different and everyone tolerated everyone's differences. Also, since I most people at the meeting avoid eye contact I don't think you would be making it very much.

I wudant mind tryin something like this not sure if u have something like this in my area it be good. On way there I'd be well nervous tho

New Threads

Top Bottom