• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

@GrownupGirl

That was uncalled for. While we understand your situation, it may be better in the future to ignore a thread you're not interested in instead of putting in something that shows not only lack of empathy but also could be considered quite offensive to the OP.

you are correct, it is actually quite offensive to me. I also see no reason why they went on my thread to comment that. I did nothing to that person that would make them say no one cares. And if they don't care so much then why on earth would they take their time to click on my thread to comment that? It's just mean.

mabye well I do hope so. My mom just spoke to my life coach and agrees that going to the higher ups that my mom contacted with in the first place (that got me the job to begin with) is the best route to take. It honestly doesn't make sense because the zoo is successful and has grown a lot within just a few years, and is accreddited with the AZA and is a big part of my county that recieves a lot of funding for a small zoo. My mom is planning on asking the the lady why I was denied the job and figure out what I can do.

And yes I did express your concern with my mom about being "off-putting" and mom told my life coach and my life coach says this is really completely different.

Ok! I hope it all works out for you. You, your mom, and your life coach clearly are going to know your specific situation better than I do.. So, if you all think it's still a valid approach after consideration, then who am I to say different..
I do hope you'll let us know how it goes! I'd definitely be interested to hear. Hopefully it's just a Covid thing, and they'll hire you a little later in the season.. I'll be hoping for you! :)

In some places, some people don't look at hard work. They look at who they get along with the best, or they want to get their friend in, or maybe they feel they can hire someone who can do enough of what you do, but at a cheaper price. It's not right, but these are some things that can happen. As you had a good experience prior, you can ask people for recommendations and look for other better opportunities.

In some places, some people don't look at hard work. They look at who they get along with the best, or they want to get their friend in, or maybe they feel they can hire someone who can do enough of what you do, but at a cheaper price. It's not right, but these are some things that can happen. As you had a good experience prior, you can ask people for recommendations and look for other better opportunities.

at a cheaper price? bruh all of us are paid the same thing in that poisition and there are 0 promotions. Honestly I loved working there to the point I would do it for free. Sadly I live where that is the only opprotunity I can get. I live in NJ which is a small state not known for any zoological opprotunities like california provides. The other zoos like the bronx zoo is in the Bronx NY is 45 min drive and is in a heavily populated area where the traffic is a nightmare. Trains are also very crowded too. The only other place that deals with animals near me is petsmart. And I want nothing to do with petsmart due to them having documents of animal cruelity.

So basically I am stuck trying to fight for the poisition. Which my mom and life coach are in the process of helping me figure out why and how I can get my job back and so forth. The thing is, I been studying my local zoo for years. I know their layout of their zoo so well I can confidently tell people where things are, and is the only zoo I don't need a map. And I have over thousands of photos from the place because I am such a frequent visitor that I have a zoo membership. I even studied and read their masterplan rough draft when it was released online to the public. I even attend some special events at the zoo. I want to be a zoologist, so working at a zoo, around wildlife is really important to help with my future of my career.

A suggestion for the future - and forgive me if you already did this. But since you loved working there as a seasonal employee, at the end of the season it would be wise to make sure your boss knew that you would be thrilled to work again this summer.

I do think many of these types of jobs are "on hold" due to the coronavirus situation, and that's nobody's fault (I'm trying to avoid politics here!).

at a cheaper price? bruh all of us are paid the same thing in that poisition and there are 0 promotions. Honestly I loved working there to the point I would do it for free. Sadly I live where that is the only opprotunity I can get. I live in NJ which is a small state not known for any zoological opprotunities like california provides. The other zoos like the bronx zoo is in the Bronx NY is 45 min drive and is in a heavily populated area where the traffic is a nightmare. Trains are also very crowded too. T. . .

S. . . The thing is, I been studying my local zoo for years. I know their layout of their zoo so well I can confidently tell people where things are, and is the only zoo I don't need a map. And I have over thousands of photos from the place because I am such a frequent visitor that I have a zoo membership. I even studied and read their masterplan rough draft when it was released online to the public. I even attend some special events at the zoo. I want to be a zoologist, so working at a zoo, around wildlife is really important to help with my future of my career.

Actually, you aren't "stuck" at all. This depends on YOU though.

You would need to be willing to move where their is a need.
Maybe a veterinary clinic or animal hospital or dog kennel would be a good place to consider working to gain some potentially related experience. In any of these scenarios, you can aim to get to know the landscape and blueprints of buildings and such without a map and blueprints.
Someone/organization will probably appreciate you for your skills, but honestly, it doesn't sound like this particular zoo and it is most likely for social reasons not related to your job skills.

The idea that you feel you have to limit yourself to this particular zoo (and job) could indirectly be a reflection of your current situation, and maybe the people who made this decision feel that and don't want to work with it since they have the option.

A suggestion for the future - and forgive me if you already did this. But since you loved working there as a seasonal employee, at the end of the season it would be wise to make sure your boss knew that you would be thrilled to work again this summer.

I do think many of these types of jobs are "on hold" due to the coronavirus situation, and that's nobody's fault (I'm trying to avoid politics here!).

I actually did do that believe it or not. I even had a whole conversation wiith her about me working there again and asked her if it is easier the second time in which she said it is. Idk I said I'll be back but Idk if a neurotypical knows that means I liked working there and I want to work there again.

Actually, you aren't "stuck" at all. This depends on YOU though.

You would need to be willing to move where their is a need.
Maybe a veterinary clinic or animal hospital or dog kennel would be a good place to consider working to gain some potentially related experience. In any of these scenarios, you can aim to get to know the landscape and blueprints of buildings and such without a map and blueprints.
Someone/organization will probably appreciate you for your skills, but honestly, it doesn't sound like this particular zoo and it is most likely for social reasons not related to your job skills.

The idea that you feel you have to limit yourself to this particular zoo (and job) could indirectly be a reflection of your current situation, and maybe the people who made this decision feel that and don't want to work with it since they have the option.

I limted myself to this zoo not based on social stuff. But based off of the fact I been following and studying this zoo for years. In fact when I did work there last summer I knew more about the zoo then 99% of my coworkers. Cause I even had conversations with them and most even told me that they never even walked around the zoo prior to getting this job and don't know what animals the zoo has in their collection. I also don't drive despite having a license (little fear) and relay on my parents to drive me to work (yeah im working on this). And this zoo is only 5 miles from where I live. Out of all animal places, this zoo I am the most passionate about and in fact see my profile picture of a prairie dog? That was taken at this same zoo. A vets office is my last resort but right now I am going to fight for this job. But I honestly think the reason I was denied was this coronavirus thing. Cause now zoos accross the USA are closing until futher notice. And this poisiton I am trying to get again deals with the public as a major part of the job. No public=corona virus outbreak= no reason for hiring. I'm extremely passionated about zoos and conservation.

New Threads

Top Bottom