• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jena

So I was a seasonal employee last summer at this zoo. I left for the fall and winter because I had to focus on college work. And reapplied for the same posistion for the summer season. However to my suprise I was denied.

Now I can't figure out why I was denied despite working there with no real issues last summer. (i have aspergers so it's hard for me to read situations and so forth but quite a bit of my coworkers told me I was the hardest worker there and was told I do a very good job.

I was the first one at the first job fair to reapply. So it was impossible to fill up quick. And my friend and coworker was shocked I was denied as well as my whole family.

Does anyone know why I was denied to work there again or have any idea? Also anyone else on the spectrum relate to this? I do know my boss knew I had aspergers so my biggest fear that it had something to do with it.

I had the same thing happen to me. I used to work at a marina for the season and I worked there for 4 years and I replied for the 5th year and got denied. I later found out that the reason I didn't get rehired was because the marina was having financial troubles and could not hire a bunch of other people as well. I would not take it personally and think that it's your fault. There are a lot of other factors that may have lead to you not getting the job this year.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me. I used to work at a marina for the season and I worked there for 4 years and I replied for the 5th year and got denied. I later found out that the reason I didn't get rehired was because the marina was having financial troubles and could not hire a bunch of other people as well. I would not take it personally and think that it's your fault. There are a lot of other factors that may have lead to you not getting the job this year.

well if it is financial reason I wish they would of told me. Anyways my mom is very mad they didn't rehire me and gonna have a word with them. To find out why.

well if it is financial reason I wish they would of told me. Anyways my mom is very mad they didn't rehire me and gonna have a word with them. To find out why.

They never told me that when I was denied. I only found out about it later when it hit the news. Sadly though. Employers are not required to tell you why, and a lot of the times, they don't for PR reasons.

They never told me that when I was denied. I only found out about it later when it hit the news. Sadly though. Employers are not required to tell you why, and a lot of the times, they don't for PR reasons.

PR reasons and mostly it's a matter of liability. The more they tell you, the greater at risk they might be for discriminatory practices. Consequently it's best to say nothing at all.

PR reasons and mostly it's a matter of liability. The more they tell you, the greater at risk they might be for discriminatory practices. Consequently it's best to say nothing at all.
really? cause I literally looked online and found that it is best to reply to a rejection email and ask questions?

i feel they should though because what if it was the resume, or something that I can fix. My mom owns her own buisness and finds it not right. (she designs kitchens and bathrooms). Generally speaking my mom has this sense if something isn't right and will get to the bottom of it with or without me. And my mom's instincts are usually right. Like 9/10. My lifecoach even was fine with her finding out why.

really? cause I literally looked online and found that it is best to reply to a rejection email and ask questions?

It can't hurt to ask. Though understand that asking in no way assures an answer, let alone whether it's factual or contrived to avoid potential legal consequences.

It's potentially a personal injury liability exposure to tell much of anyone why they didn't get a job. Especially if there's a perception of a disability involved. Equally it's precarious for a former employer to go into an elaborate explanation of why they terminated someone. The less said, the better.

Last edited:
If you ask why they WILL tell you, so don’t worry about that. If you don’t ask, you’ll never know. It’s just the way it is.

I know we now live in an age of helicopter parents.. But.. Don't you think you should just go an ask yourself?
If I was the employer, and your mom came to ask me about your employment status, I would not be impressed.. It says you can't stand up and speak for yourself..

I know we now live in an age of helicopter parents.. But.. Don't you think you should just go an ask yourself?
If I was the employer, and your mom came to ask me about your employment status, I would not be impressed.. It says you can't stand up and speak for yourself..

I did sent her a email asking already. Mom getting to the bottom of it has nothing to do with what I should or shouldn't do. I mean it kinda says a lot though that my lifecoach who you know is suppose to guide me and such wasn't against the idea of mom going to find out why.

Like I said, I already did sent her a email asking why. I sent it Friday and so far got no reply yet.

I did sent her a email asking already. Mom getting to the bottom of it has nothing to do with what I should or shouldn't do. I mean it kinda says a lot though that my lifecoach who you know is suppose to guide me and such wasn't against the idea of mom going to find out why.

Like I said, I already did sent her a email asking why. I sent it Friday and so far got no reply yet.

That's a good first step sending an email asking!
And I don't mean offence to you or your life coach either..

But, I have previously been in a management position.. So I'm sharing with you what my perception would be if I was approached by the parent of an employee..
Not only would I be unimpressed, I would likely consider it reinforcement that I made the correct decision not to re-employ you.. I would also be very unlikely to explain anything to a parent. I would inform your mom that the employment contract was between the company and you, not the company and your mom, and I have no obligation or inclination to discuss your employment details with her..
In short, she wouldn't get an answer out of me, and I'd likely feel I made the right decision..

I would, in contrast, be far more impressed if you came in to talk to me your job, and pitch to me all the reasons you feel you should be re-employed..

I'm just one person though who's been in that type of role.. Obviously, not all managers would respond the same way.. As I say, I mean no offence.. And I'm sorry if you took it as such.

That's a good first step sending an email asking!
And I don't mean offence to you or your life coach either..

But, I have previously been in a management position.. So I'm sharing with you what my perception would be if I was approached by the parent of an employee..
Not only would I be unimpressed, I would likely consider it reinforcement that I made the correct decision not to re-employ you.. I would also be very unlikely to explain anything to a parent. I would inform your mom that the employment contract was between the company and you, not the company and your mom, and I have no obligation or inclination to discuss your employment details with her..
In short, she wouldn't get an answer out of me, and I'd likely feel I made the right decision..

I would, in contrast, be far more impressed if you came in to talk to me your job, and pitch to me all the reasons you feel you should be re-employed..

I'm just one person though who's been in that type of role.. Obviously, not all managers would respond the same way.. As I say, I mean no offence.. And I'm sorry if you took it as such.

I don’t think mom was planning on talking to her though. I already did that. I think she was planning on talking to the First Lady that helped get me the job to begin with. Anyways my mom has these ppl skills that I lack. But it still doesn’t make any sense when coworkers told me I was the hardest worker there. Like I manage to bring injured budgies to the vet with minimal help on crowded days and short staff, and always stayed on task. But now I have a new theory and that it has to do with this Coronavirus. My zoo temporarily closed until March 27th (for now, could extend) she sent the email a few days before it was announced. So I’m wondering if it’s really the timing then anything else

I don’t think mom was planning on talking to her though. I already did that. I think she was planning on talking to the First Lady that helped get me the job to begin with. Anyways my mom has these ppl skills that I lack. But it still doesn’t make any sense when coworkers told me I was the hardest worker there. Like I manage to bring injured budgies to the vet with minimal help on crowded days and short staff, and always stayed on task. But now I have a new theory and that it has to do with this Coronavirus. My zoo temporarily closed until March 27th (for now, could extend) she sent the email a few days before it was announced. So I’m wondering if it’s really the timing then anything else

Hmm.. Totally could be.. A lot of people, including myself, are just sort of in a "wait and see" mode before making any major spending decisions..
Perhaps the manager didn't want to hire a lot of people only to have to turn around and lay off everyone again.. Cause that would suck, for both you and the manager..

Perhaps when this all blows over, if it doesn't take too long, she'll come back and bring on a bunch more people for summer...

@GrownupGirl - Hey, I totally understand you're going through a really rough patch of anxiety and meltdown at the moment. But there's no need to take it out on @Jena.. She's needs our help and support too, just like you, just like all of us at times.. We're here for you, we're here for her. That's how it works. I care.

@GrownupGirl

That was uncalled for. While we understand your situation, it may be better in the future to ignore a thread you're not interested in instead of putting in something that shows not only lack of empathy but also could be considered quite offensive to the OP.

REMINDER

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules, report it to a member of staff using the report button. Do not reply to the thread. If you are having a problem with another member of the forums, you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

General Rules & Guidelines

Hmm.. Totally could be.. A lot of people, including myself, are just sort of in a "wait and see" mode before making any major spending decisions..
Perhaps the manager didn't want to hire a lot of people only to have to turn around and lay off everyone again.. Cause that would suck, for both you and the manager..

Perhaps when this all blows over, if it doesn't take too long, she'll come back and bring on a bunch more people for summer...

mabye well I do hope so. My mom just spoke to my life coach and agrees that going to the higher ups that my mom contacted with in the first place (that got me the job to begin with) is the best route to take. It honestly doesn't make sense because the zoo is successful and has grown a lot within just a few years, and is accreddited with the AZA and is a big part of my county that recieves a lot of funding for a small zoo. My mom is planning on asking the the lady why I was denied the job and figure out what I can do.

And yes I did express your concern with my mom about being "off-putting" and mom told my life coach and my life coach says this is really completely different.

New Threads

Top Bottom