• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I want to walk and be independent

Update: Several months later.

Well, I'm still in the same boat, although I am physically and mentally stronger. I also have much more hope.

I was starting to do really well. We would take daily walks where I was in my wheelchair and my daughter walked along side. For variety, we always took a different path and ended up somewhere different.

Once I found a patch of trail or road that was even enough, I'd jump out of my wheelchair and order my daughter to sit in it (so she wouldn't be tempted to help). I then walked as far as I could *almost* to the point of exertion, where everything felt like it was just about to hurt, but not quite yet. Then, I'd walk back to the wheelchair. The distances were getting longer and longer, and I was feeling so good.

At home I was doing squats, yoga, marching in place, and also standing for as long as possible until total fatigue set in, where I would collapse into the recliner until I felt better.

Then my dumb butt decided to go out in the rain for multiple days without wearing proper outdoor gear. I really do know better, but I guess the hot summer messed me up, so I was still wearing semi-summer type clothing. I ended up catching pneumonia. I also have liver problems and that caused a dangerous form of edema to build up in my liver and lungs. Oh my gosh I was so sick, for weeks really. Not eating much. Always thirsty. Intermittent fevers and chills. Sleeping all the time. Hard to do much of anything.

So now I'm getting better. I still sometimes feel sick or cold at night, and I do sleep a lot. I still wander out in the rain (but dressed a bit more tactically for all weather) every night. But now I'm back in the wheelchair. I haven't done much walking or exercise. Because really, I was just so sick, I didn't even think of it.

The thing is, as I'm coming out of this last illness, I feel stronger than before. Like it did something to me. I'm better at reading. I'm better with my hands. I feel more energetic, and I'm starting to think about trying walking again. But I'm still a bit convalescy from that nasty illness. Maybe when I'm a wee bit stronger, eventually trying out the seated machines at the gym.

Oh yeah! I got a walker. The insurance paid for it and had it delivered. They let me pick out the color. It's candy apple red, like the Corvette I always wanted. It's made by Nova and has a little bench, and handbrakes, just like everyone suggested.

I'm sort of prejudiced against it though. I'm being bad. It's more of a coat rack right now. When I use it, all hunched over, I am embarrassed and feel like a saggy, unattractive old nanny goat with rollers in her hair. I feel more pride when I sit in my wheelchair or use a cane. So I have to get over that silliness if I'm to really regain my strength.

Nova is a great brand. Proud of you for getting that done. The cane I needed used to bother me. I hated it so much I broke two of them. The walkers are usually adjustable for height dear one, perhaps let the kid play with it a little, bc you arent supposed to be bending over with a walker! I have two. One is holding up a saddle and the other is out in the barn in case I take another fall out there. I stepped in a hole on Tuesday, not a good thing.

It's a balance between drive and discretion. You want to get stronger, but you dont want to get hurt. Cheering for you over here!

You have to keep working at it , it takes time to rewire the brain. I go for walks every day, stationary bike as back up on colder days. be stubborn with yourself is the lesson I learned I refused to use a wheel chair from day one, first walker in hospital. they tried a cane once did not work. only walking was good enough for me.

I am sorry you were sick again! Still, it is very positive that you are feeling stronger than before. I have no explaination for you as to why you feel stronger, but I do like it!

Your walker sounds great. Don't resent it. It is literally the next step, not the last. Love it with everything you are. I had a knee walker when I broke me leg. I put a bike bell and stickers on it. Make it fun to use.

Nova is a great brand. Proud of you for getting that done. The cane I needed used to bother me. I hated it so much I broke two of them. The walkers are usually adjustable for height dear one, perhaps let the kid play with it a little, bc you arent supposed to be bending over with a walker! I have two. One is holding up a saddle and the other is out in the barn in case I take another fall out there. I stepped in a hole on Tuesday, not a good thing.

It's a balance between drive and discretion. You want to get stronger, but you dont want to get hurt. Cheering for you over here!
Thanks. It's good to know I have people rooting for me. And thanks for letting me know about adjusting the handles. Later on, I think my daughter and I will play with it to figure out what you're talking about.

<3 pls don't die
OMG I'm not going to die! I promise. I'm getting better! I used to be very sick, and every day I feel better and better. Don't worry. This is my recovery. It's just slow.

You're such a sweet kid. You have 2 letters coming btw!

Last edited:

I haven't seen the links, but just the thought of exoskeleton made me think of this:

latest

It really does remind me of the power armor frame from Bethesda's Fallout series of games.
The primary purpose of the frame itself is to hold the armor plating and to assist with greater mobility. Far greater speed, strength, endurance and so on.

New Threads

Top Bottom