• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I want to be like Albert Einstein

According to typical tests and methods I should not be able to read, write, or do math, but I have been doing all three since the age of 3.

I have dysphonentic dyslexia and dyscalculia. I was always honour roll and I have my Bachler's and an MFA. But according to a standardized screening I cannot read. My brain is different, not defective.

Getting to know what piques one's interest and how one processes information are critical to any learning process. It is amazing what can be achieved when one works with one's brain instead of against it.

Last edited:
According to typical tests and methods I should not be able to read, write, or do math, but I have been doing all three since the age of 3.

I have dysphonentic dyslexia and dyscalculia. I was always honour roll and I have my Bachler's and an MFA. But according to a standardized screening I cannot read. My brain is different, not defective.

Getting to know what piques one's interest and how one processes information are critical to any learning process. It is amazing what can be achieved when one works with one's brain instead of against it.

I agree.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm smarter than I give myself credit for too. And smarter than some other people give me credit for! Lol
But I'm not a genius, by any means. I have some strengths and talents and then I have things that are VERY hard for me.
I have dyscalculia and I cannot do math at all. It's impossible. But I'm good at a lot of other things.

Einstein is admired by many.
But, there is no one else exactly like him, nor exactly like you.

Guess it depends on what each of us admire and are attracted to.
Tesla, Stephen Hawkings and others steeped in knowledge of physics/sciences, I admire also.
I suppose I am admirable of those who are naturally outstanding in science and especially physics.
It is a field of interest.

Got to admit there is something unique about Einstein. Maybe because he is well known?
Nah, it's got to be the hair!

ein.jpg

This is a topic where we, as autistics and the people around us, must understand that one of the "hallmarks" found in autistic individuals is asymmetrical intelligences,...more specifically the types of asymmetry that goes beyond what is found in the neurotypical brain. I had a much greater appreciation for this after having been tested.

It was rather unsettling,...and eye opening,...to go through testing and look at my results as compared to the general population. There were things that I found easy,...that I scored well in,...and didn't (Dunning-Kruger phenomenon). There were things that I struggled with,...that I didn't score well in,...and did (Dunning-Kruger phenomenon). There were things that my brain literally couldn't do at all and had to stop the testing,...very weird,...I've never, ever had such an experience,...rattled me a bit. Another way to think about it was that how "easy or difficult" things were during testing did not necessarily correlate well with my scores. Going into testing, I thought I had a handle on what my strengths and weaknesses were,...but I was wrong in a few cases.

I am not sure that most people have a good sense of how intelligent or not intelligent they are in certain areas.

I hide what I can do and know. People IRL, and online to some extent, make there own assumptions. People, NTs in particular, get weird, occasionally, hostile if they think they are not the smartest person in the room. And my own biggest fail masking is when I talk, especially on a topic I like. People tend to be surprised.

Very much akin to Billina the Chicken is Ozma of Oz and her actions in the chapter Purple, Green, and Gold. I try to go in with an understanding that there is always something more to learn. Do what you can and you might be surprised.

Last edited:
I hide what I can do and know. People IRL, and online to some extent, make there own assumptions. Very much akin to Billina the Chicken is Ozma of Oz and her actions in the chapter Purple, Green, and Gold. I try to go in with an understanding that there is always something more to learn. Do what you can and you might be surprised.

Hey man, thanks!

I've found that a hunger for knowledge is actually very common within autistic people. When something takes your interest you need to know everything, its spellbinding. It's purpose, its origin, what its made from, if it could be better ect. Atleast that's my own experience.

And by intellectual disability, maybe you're not referring to intellect at all, but the social side of things? As that's where alot of us have issues.

I've found that a hunger for knowledge is actually very common within autistic people. When something takes your interest you need to know everything, its spellbinding. It's purpose, its origin, what its made from, if it could be better ect. Atleast that's my own experience.

And by intellectual disability, maybe you're not referring to intellect at all, but the social side of things? As that's where alot of us have issues.

Now, that accurately describes me. Thank you! The only thing is my social skills is more developed though, but I do milder problems with social-emotional reciprocity and interpreting the context of some social cues.

Now, that accurately describes me. Thank you! The only thing is my social skills is more developed though, but I do milder problems with social-emotional reciprocity and interpreting the context of some social cues.

Sounds pretty similar to myself in all honesty, i managed socially for years never knowing I was autistic. I always knew I was different, but couldn't really comprehend or articulate why for a long time.

Must admit it takes some doing to put together a theory which passes the test of time for over a hundred years and just keeps being tested to greater and greater accuracy. Amazing achievement I would be hard pressed to think of any other person that comes even close. Other contenders, such as Darwin theories were still being tweaked, years later as more data was collected. Relativity just seemed to approach the truth each time more data was collected, getting more difficult to falsify.

Einstein is an interesting topic, there's a popular psychologist who studies Autism by the name of Simon-Baren-Cohen, he believes Einstein and Newton showed many traits of Autism.

For wanting to be like him, I don't really know what to suggest. I don't know your skills and interests so I'd just say choose what you love and dedicate time to study and understanding of it.

Einstein may or may not have had dyscalculia, but he took a very unique approach to looking at the universe - an approach which was natural to him, but apparently not tried by any of his predecessors or peers. Literally, he was just doing what he knew how to do, regardless of others' approaches.

For you to do the same, learn your strengths and develop them. Pay attention to your own behavior and see what things you like to do, what things you can't live without doing, or that you do as easily as breathing.

Look into different aptitude tests - either in school (if you're in school) or online.

When you find the things that you naturally do or do more easily than others - that's a strength.

This is good advice for anyone.

New Threads

Top Bottom