• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think this place is good luck.

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Long story short, I have been out of work for two years, but I have been really trying to get a job. Well, it’s time! Tomorrow, I will start my new job as a delivery driver for homebound seniors – I will be bringing them meals. My head is a cacophony of excitement and anxiety, but all in all it is a very good thing.

So, did you all cause this? What the heck, since I joined this forum very good things have been happening. I have never ever had “a group” and never ever announced something to people, but hey, I am trying new things. So, tomorrow, back to work.

Luck or coincidence? I think that it is merely a shift in your own outlook. After all, something brought you to this forum! That something was most likely due to you searching for some positivity in your life. You were seeking a change and looking to take control of life's vagaries. I have always believed that attitude is a major component of outcome, so not luck so much as you deciding to make a change.

The pandemic created a time of uncertainty. I applaud you for reconnecting and getting yourself back out there. Congratulations, and may you continue to expand your horizon.

We're good news twins. My leader asked me to handle all of our team's Trademarks this morning as few errors were found in my records while I was on paternity leave and they want me to clean up the records and start fresh correctly on new applications.

This forum has done two things for me. I came here a hot mess with sloppy thinking I couldn't get out of alone and multiple members helped reframe my thinking.

Second, it's put my condition in context. I was told that I have a mild case but without a frame of reference, that information didn't really help anything.

While I still have struggles I am not struggling like some members and I need to be more grateful for my life and help where I can those who're struggling where I am not.

Congratulations on your position!

Congratulations! I think that it is all of the good vibes that we all put out for one another. It is very healing.

You are responsible for your good fortune. As @Richelle-H points out, one's attitude is a big component. I think, depending on one's attitude, one can prime themselves to be open to those opportunities for growth and success.

Great news. I worked in a retirement home, and some of the older ladies had a sparkle in their eyes. I enjoy making them laugh. They taught me to smile and laugh with them. I was grateful for the time l worked there. I believe my male boss was on the spectrum, he was a very nice boss.

Congratulations! :)

As we tend to have White & Black thinking and feeling issues, let me give you and advice:

Try your best to stay calm and balanced at work. Observe what others do and try your best to do like them, more listening than speaking, no oversharing, no overtrusting. Take your time to get used to the new rutines.

Im glad you got this new job, I also think its because of what you did. :)

This is a really nice moment and I am (pleasantly) overwhelmed by the responses here. I have taken to heart the advice and support, and it is really powerful to hear that it is OK if I take some credit for the good things, and not just the bad ones.

I would add that I just did a practice run to the new job so the commute won’t be too much of a surprise tomorrow and the ride is beautiful - the roads are quiet and I pass a waterfall and an old brick factory, two of my favorite things.

So, good vibes all around, I will do my best to pay it forward! I love hearing of other successes – happy for you @Alaric593 !

This is a really nice moment and I am (pleasantly) overwhelmed by the responses here. I have taken to heart the advice and support, and it is really powerful to hear that it is OK if I take some credit for the good things, and not just the bad ones.

I would add that I just did a practice run to the new job so the commute won’t be too much of a surprise tomorrow and the ride is beautiful - the roads are quiet and I pass a waterfall and an old brick factory, two of my favorite things.

So, good vibes all around, I will do my best to pay it forward! I love hearing of other successes – happy for you @Alaric593 !

We must take credit for our own success because few others will unless they're close as well as the means to frame our thinking to not focus on our defeats all the time getting us in to stinking thinking.

I'm happy for you and it's Good work. You'll be bringing health and happiness to our elders. Little more Noble of a profession if I may be so bold.

We have a huge shortage of workers up here, too many of use retired. Cannot bring in people fast enough. Hospitality industry really hurting . First no customers due to Covid, now no employees. The last news I saw we are short just shy of 0ne million workers. the worst it has ever been.

Last edited:
People are complaining here about bad service, but everybody is struggling to hire. And l noticed the wage has dropped from 12 to 10 dollars an hour. Wait, l can't afford gas, food, housing, and you just dropped the wage? Who is going to drive to a job, collect hardship pay, put up with rude bosses and customers. No wonder everyone is leaving in droves. With the shortage of workers, restaurants are cutting corners, so be careful where you eat and what you order.

People are complaining here about bad service, but everybody is struggling to hire. And l noticed the wage has dropped from 12 to 10 dollars an hour. Wait, l can't afford gas, food, housing, and you just dropped the wage? Who is going to drive to a job, collect hardship pay, put up with rude bosses and customers. No wonder everyone is leaving in droves. With the shortage of workers, restaurants are cutting corners, so be careful where you eat and what you order.
Wages are going up here, supply and demand. Our issue is not just hospitality rather ever industry, medical, construction. My son is a manager of a small plating shop, no one wants to work in a factory, they all want desk jobs. Time for robots which my second son fixes. Apparently robots now competitive with minimum wage. With my generation many companies got to picky asked for too much education, because they could, now they have to go back 50 years train in house.

Last edited:
I was just reading the ALICE (Asset Limited Income Constrained, Employed) report for my state and in my county a full 38% of households do not earn the minimum to afford a basic quality of life. That disturbs me and here the tourist economy is a significant driver of income inequality.

Every country is different, up here it is us baby boomers retiring causing the issue. Cities like Toronto are livable without owing a car, good transit system variety of industries as it is our biggest city. So if you have a skill their is a place for you.

Weekend Update :cool:
Hello lovely people, I just wanted to give a quick update as I begin my first weekend in almost 2 years (because I actually have a work week again). My first two days on the job were totally overwhelming. But, of course they were! It was all okay.

Your messages and your advice were super helpful in just getting through all the training and I am on to the phase where I will spend most of my days solo or having brief one on one interactions. I am so stoked and optimistic in a way that I have not been for a long time.

I am working out of a re-purposed factory and I get to walk by this amazing behemoth every day!
upload_2022-7-8_14-34-36.jpeg

I appreciate y’all.

New Threads

Top Bottom