• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think society has a problem

Mister Anonymity

It's funny but I think Autistic people are treated differently. I know I've been treated differently due to my condition. It's funny, but I think that society has a lack of accountability for the way it treats minorities like Autistic people. They kick, beat and pummel us into a corner until we have no other recourse but to snap. Some of us never had the same opportunities as neurotypicals to have a good career, a clean bill of health, friends or a girlfriend or children. We've had the worst odds in life. Some of us aren't financially independent and have to rely on dependents to get through life. Some of these dependents are abusive and take advantage of us. When we seek outside help, we are spurned by the community like its our fault. In the course of these events, we develop a crutch like a dark sense of humor to combat the harsh realities of life. Then to add insult to injury, they ask us what's wrong and when we tell them, they force feed us medication and they try to sedate us when nothing is wrong with us. Things are terribly wrong with society. Yet, they blame us for their mistakes. They tell us that if we continue to react poorly to certain external situations, we are only victimizing ourselves. The truth is, us Autistic people, are victims of society. We are victims of perpetual and endless suffering in a cycle of victimization that never ends.

Does anyone feel like this? If you don't, please give me your opinion. I know that each of us have had different sets of experiences so I'm not judging.

I feel like society doesn't have a problem. There are plenty :D
Of course you've been treated differently due to your condition. Maybe you received favors, maybe you didn't.
When living abroad I've been treated differently because I wasn't from that country, the doctors have refused me treatments I needed unfairly because I was considered an immigrant. This has never happened in my country. I've been treated differently because of my accent and my name.
I've been treated differently because I'm a woman.
I've been treated differently because I'm weird and can't express myself "correctly".
I've been treated differently because I was the elder.
I've certainly been treated differently because I'm white.
I've been treated differently because I'm not fat, and I am treated differently when I loose 5 kilos.
I've been treated differently depending on what clothes I was wearing.
I've been treated differently as a kid and now as an adult. I'll be treated differently when I'll be old. I'll be treated differently because I won't have kids. I'd be treated differently if I ever had. I'd be treated differently if I was in a relationship.
I'm treated differently if people know I've been studying and what type of studies it was.

There are many, many, many issues in society and tons of reasons to discriminate others. There are people who won't treat you differently and people who would. Most people don't care. Some people are highly toxic and dangerous. Some others want to exploit others. Some others are fine. Again, that's situational. I don't believe I'm a victim all the time. I've been a victim of certain hard situations, events, and actions. But I don't see myself as a victim all the time, that would be over simplifying.

Also, the fact that there were times of my life when I've been a victim doesn't turn me a saint myself. Just looking at myself and own behaviour, I've done stuffs that made others suffer as well. I'm part of society. Everyone is. Whether you're very engaged in it or not at all, it doesn't matter. Being in the position of a "perpetual" victim isn't giving you any room to move...

Last edited:
I refuse to play the victim and be part of society's other problem, the emotional freeloader. Not saying that's y'all, but there are some autism blogs out there eat up with this stuff to the point of toxicity.

Society has a problem with just about everybody. If you realize that general unrest and chaos is control of the masses then you won't feel so singled out. We are especially living thru this right now.

Last edited:
My bad. I’m sorry I fed into the toxicity. I didn’t realize that this is a safe space for us away from toxic problems. I should be more mindful of other people on this channel.

My bad. I’m sorry I fed into the toxicity. I didn’t realize that this is a safe space for us away from toxic problems. I should be more mindful of other people on this channel.

We tend to internalize and blame ourself for everything, think that's being on the spectrum.

I refuse to play the victim and be part of society's other problem, the emotional freeloader. Not saying that's y'all, but there are some autism blogs out there eat up with this stuff to the point of toxicity.
That's how I feel. The best solution to this problem IMO is to work hard in order to learn, accept, and overcome your flaws in order to succeed in this world.

An ASD diagnosis shouldn't be a reason to despair about what you couldn't control but should instead be an visualization of one problems with the treatment that follows one's diagnosis being the way to liberate yourself from your suffering and find a place in this world.

So I’m not on the spectrum? I think I’m autistic but I blame other people for external situations and not being able to fit in.
So do a lot of people! You may be 100% correct. Some people may be that rude. Other times, someone may blame everyone else & it be their fault. Most of the time it's a combination, and the "blame" shifts from person to person, and from situation to situation.

That's how I feel. The best solution to this problem IMO is to work hard in order to learn, accept, and overcome your flaws in order to succeed in this world.

An ASD diagnosis shouldn't be a reason to despair about what you couldn't control but should instead be an visualization of one problems with the treatment that follows one's diagnosis being the way to liberate yourself from your suffering and find a place in this world.

Agreed. Let's forget about "ableist" and "autistic pride" here. Let's see--you mention autism diagnoses being for healing, and that is what they are. They're not meant to be status symbols; if that's what one uses them for, that's kinda twisted.. "Hello, Amtrak? I'm traveling by overnight sleeper. I'm my own fake emotional support animal! And I even have the little certificate...Yes, the ESA? it's a, um, equid; specifically, a Colossal Ass. What do you mean I can't travel? You bigots!"

I got diagnosed at 18 or 19, and it was good for me in ways that I am still discovering. Knowing I am different helps me be patient with myself. And even better, it helps me with theory of mind; I'm kind of empathetic in practical situations but sometimes seem super callous. Not really good at managing empathy except for being everyone's shoulder to cry on and the Shoulder is getting metaphorically arthritic.

Understanding that NT's have struggles of their own, that my view of reality is not actually reality, and that I'm not alone, have all been major blessings and I think we all have a place in the world. Bear with me, but it's to fulfill what we were made for. They say we find purpose in religion but they mean emotional fuzzies. I say my religion gives me an actual purpose by saying people were created by God to know, love, and serve Him, and that's more than one person can do so we never run out of something to strive for.

Well, I do know it's tough out there for us and all that, but I do also think we don't have to blame people. We can treat it as part & parcel of being different, which we are.

It has more than a few problems, yeah. I won't disagree with that. It also has plenty of distractions and diversions too. You might want to find some instead of dwelling on everything that's wrong.

Reading about the history of autism, the history of of mental illness, or much history at all will give context to this issue but it's a problem as old as society.

Forgive me. I’ve been selfish. I should dwell on other important things. I apologize deeply.
No, it's OK to dwell on something that's important to you! If no one ever shares their thoughts then how will they ever dig through them all?
I thought your post was very thought-provoking and though I don't 100% agree with the idea of being a victim to circumstances I totally do see how someone with a run of particularly bad luck could feel himself as one.

l have had some bad luck. l am going to hibernate for a year in my next place. It will take me a year to recuperate. That means little to no phone calls and staring at my walls for at 12 months. This is the first time l wished l had never been born. I just got thru bad luck in another city where l just barely escaped with my life (l questioned if l would die from extreme heat) and was recuperating from that. And l had nobody to tell this too, because nobody would believe me. Now to me, safety means sitting in my place just regulating my breathing.

Last edited:
l have had some bad luck. l am going to hibernate for a year in my next place. It will take me a year to recuperate. That means little to no phone calls and staring at my walls for at 12 months. This is the first time l wished l had never been born. I just barely got thru bad luck in another city where l just barely escaped with my life and was recuperating from that. And l had nobody to tell this too, because nobody would believe me. Now l feel safe just staring at my walls.

You've put a smile on my face. I thought I was the only one. Additionally, I can barely sleep. Right now, it is midnight for me. I keep thinking about all of my bad luck. It keeps me awake through the night. I'm literally an insomniac who happens to be deteriorating on a physiological level. I can't go to sleep until I've written something down on this forum in order to assuage the turbulence of my unsavory emotions. I feel myself falling to pieces under the weight of my turbulent past and the emotions that arise from them. I've begged my mother for sleeping pills, but she's afraid I might end up becoming a drug addict. I'm sorry. I have to go to sleep. I'll talk to you in the morning. Damn it. I'm afraid I might wake up in the afternoon. It's a vicious cycle of sleep deprivation and waking up at the wrong times.

For me, writing is a release. It tidies up all those emotions and plants them somewhere else while setting me free. Then l release the need to ruminate about my random day of insulting monkeys that descended and decided l am here to provide entertainment value to their empty existance.

Since going thru my divorce, it seems better for me to stay in and away from people. My world is easier to make sense of. People have hidden agendas and their agendas are usually pretty evil. So relaxing by myself seems helpful.

Last edited:
What a great thread! So intresting views and opinnions. @Els wrote down my thoughts already quite perfectly. I only would like to add that it is ourself that writes the story in our head. Sure being on spectrum makes the plot a bit more special, but still the story is written by ourself. I think the following can help somebody to reflect the reality, if you don’t believe in God, it is easy modify the beginning slightly.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

OR

I aim to gain the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

I understand your feelings because i have been made to feel like a victim too. I find people too cruel and heartless sometimes.
I think the best thing to do is try to think good of people while staying away from toxic ones, find ways to protect yourself from them. Try not to expect much from people and help those who are in need of help. Be grateful for the kind people in your life. Protect yourself from negativity and toxic people, concentrate on the things that make you happy. Those are what i try to do to be a peaceful person, that and the thought of karma.

New Threads

Top Bottom