• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

i think my mom has Aspergers and dont know what to do..

gmwnyc

Hello -
I am posting here because i am hoping for some words of wisdom from others who may have been in this situation. For background, I am a 37 yr old woman and my mom is 64. Ever since the first time i read about Aspergers about 15 years ago I was convinced my mother had it. She has never been diagnosed nor, to my knowledge does she think she has it or even is aware of what Aspergers is. She has so many symptoms though -- takes everything super literal, doesnt pick up on social cues, doesnt know how to behave in many situations, among other things. in some ways she is high functioning - has a job that she does well at, and has people she calls friends but doesn't really have normal friendships with them. it has strained our relationship considerably. i try to cut her slack because i really do think it is likely she has this illness, but of course i am not sure, and dont know really how much of her behavior is in her control. sometimes i think if she only became aware of her condition and got some help, maybe things could get better, not just for me and her, but for her other relationships too which are suffering. but likely if i tell her my suspicions she will be hurt, shocked, angry, etc., and it will not lead to any constructive changes. i am on the fence though. i would think if i had this condition and was unaware i would want someone to tell me, but who knows. what kind of help is there and what changes are really possible? has anyone ever confronted someone in their family who was unaware that they had the condition? how did it go?
thanks in advance!!!!

Simply reading about AS isn't a good way of diagnosing someone else with it. Getting an official diagnosis is your best bet.

Hello -
I am posting here because i am hoping for some words of wisdom from others who may have been in this situation. For background, I am a 37 yr old woman and my mom is 64. Ever since the first time i read about Aspergers about 15 years ago I was convinced my mother had it. She has never been diagnosed nor, to my knowledge does she think she has it or even is aware of what Aspergers is. She has so many symptoms though -- takes everything super literal, doesnt pick up on social cues, doesnt know how to behave in many situations, among other things. in some ways she is high functioning - has a job that she does well at, and has people she calls friends but doesn't really have normal friendships with them. it has strained our relationship considerably. i try to cut her slack because i really do think it is likely she has this illness, but of course i am not sure, and dont know really how much of her behavior is in her control. sometimes i think if she only became aware of her condition and got some help, maybe things could get better, not just for me and her, but for her other relationships too which are suffering. but likely if i tell her my suspicions she will be hurt, shocked, angry, etc., and it will not lead to any constructive changes. i am on the fence though. i would think if i had this condition and was unaware i would want someone to tell me, but who knows. what kind of help is there and what changes are really possible? has anyone ever confronted someone in their family who was unaware that they had the condition? how did it go?
thanks in advance!!!!
Gosh. So many things to respond to. First of all, your concern for your mother's well being is evident. Next, Aspergers isn't a disease. In fact, it can't really be treated, at least not in the usual sense. It does sound as though your mother has many of the traits often associated with Aspergers. Even if you do not tell her your suspicions, perhaps you could read up on it yourself. It may give you some insight into your mom's behavior, and your newfound awareness may make having a relationship with her easier. I am sorry that it has been tough on you; if she does have Aspergers, please remember that it has been tough on her too.

New Threads

Top Bottom