• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I tend to develop obsessions

mikeanthony

When I get interested in something it becomes an obsession for me. I spend every moment learning as much as I can about the subject. Scouring the internet for bits of information and watching countless videos. It really becomes difficult for me to think of other interests when an obsession takes over.

Its weird, i dont see other people become consumed with interests like I do.

Also, if I attempt to have a conversation with someone I almost always lead it to plants or something Im interested in. I dont know how to have a conversation with things that dont interest me. My mind just shuts off. Its hard to explain.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what we call special interests. Only a problem if it is interfering with your life in some way. Luckily, online you can find people willing to discuss any topic. I find this somewhat dampens my urge to annoy people with my special interests in person.

When I get interested in something it becomes an obsession for me. I spend every moment learning as much as I can about the subject. Scouring the internet for bits of information and watching countless videos. It really becomes difficult for me to think of other interests when an obsession takes over.

Its weird, i dont see other people become consumed with interests like I do.

Also, if I attempt to have a conversation with someone I almost always lead it to plants or something Im interested in. I dont know how to have a conversation with things that dont interest me. My mind just shuts off. Its hard to explain.

Exactly. Welcome to the club.:D

Perseveration is the term used in pejorative way, usually in regard to meltdowns, etc....but I think it can also be used for special interest intensity. When you say, "Special Interest" that does not really describe the massive engulfing that takes place. Like Michelangelo and his all-encompassing obsession with marble. It's not an interest. It can be life consuming in a grand and beautiful way.

Its weird, i dont see other people become consumed with interests like I do

Appearently you haven't met any neuro divergent people. Then again, you might have done but many of us mask so well you would never know how deeply our special interests affect us.

Perseveration is the term used in pejorative way, usually in regard to meltdowns, etc....but I think it can also be used for special interest intensity. When you say, "Special Interest" that does not really describe the massive engulfing that takes place. Like Michelangelo and his all-encompassing obsession with marble. It's not an interest. It can be life consuming in a grand and beautiful way.

Yes, 'life consuming' is the correct wording! Its funny, since I was interested in plants Ive tried doing all I could to get my wife to move to place where I could have land,

I have this overwhelming desire to have a farm and 'live off the land'. I have many books on how to raise farm animals and even books on butchering the meats.

At my house in the city on 1/4 acre Ive raised:
30 meat chickens
8 hens
1 turkey
Beehive
500gallon aquaponics.
100s of fruit trees
several raised garden beds
microgreens
learned how to graft my own trees

Ive also planted 100s of fruit trees at the fire station when I worked there. I dont understand why more people dont grow fruit trees in their..It doesnt make sense to me...Im sure they have good reasons but my obsessive mind doesnt comprehend...

Appearently you haven't met any neuro divergent people. Then again, you might have done but many of us mask so well you would never know how deeply our special interests affect us.

No, Ive never been good at meeting people and dont have any friends really...

Its weird, I don't see other people become consumed with interests like I do.

Now you will. ;)

Computers have been a special interest of mine since the mid 80s. I haven't built one since the one I'm using, but Microsoft in their infinite greed has decided that most of us must purchase or build a new computer to accommodate their latest operating system.

So suddenly I'm immersed into all the changes of PCs since around 2013. A lot of catching up to do, particularly involving thermodynamics pertinent to GPUs and CPUs. In the last three days I've spent much of my time viewing YouTube videos reviewing air cooled and fluid cooled motherboards. So much for prime time television!

Yeah- our "special interests" may tend to define who- and what we are. Now, you'll have to excuse me, but I'm off to continue my research when yes, I probably have better things to do but likely won't. :p

Ive also planted 100s of fruit trees at the fire station when I worked there. I dont understand why more people dont grow fruit trees in their..It doesnt make sense to me...Im sure they have good

I have never understood why cities don't plant fruit trees on public land. The fruit could go a long way to providing supplemental nutrition to the poor and homless without increasing land scaping budgets.

I sure relate to what you've said - I love a good rabbit hole of information and can easily spend hours collecting zillions of tidbits about that week's obsession.

New Threads

Top Bottom