• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I see a lot of memes stereotyping ADHD and autism.

How should i react to it ? I get really sad that a lot of memers dont understand these conditions, and just try to use them to look funny.

Example: One time i sawed a " gumball portrayed by " video about mental disorders, and the time autism came, it just represented it as people screaming. It really angered me.

How should i react to it ?

The fact that this post even has to be made really is upsetting and shows how ableism is rampant.

Anyway, my advice to you is to not look for where the dirt is, and to try and avoid such disturbing mockery and negativity.

Stereotypes have existed since the rise of civilization. Unfortunately it is inherent in human nature. For many it is unconscious behaviour and for others it is a way to stir the pot and cause harm. Speak up when you can, but it is like trying to put smoke back in Pandora's jar.

Internet memes make a caricature out of everything and everyone. Not a single one is completely accurate and most of them are wildly inaccurate as they spread based on what is found in the "public consciousness" which is almost always incorrect and there is very limited space to convey an idea (or "joke").

In other words, this problem definitely isn't specific to autism so try not to take it personally (I appreciate that it can be difficult). That's why I have never really liked them. Essays are much more accurate (and can be quite funny as well!:D)

People are jerks on the Internet. I’d probably just roll my eyes and move on.

T
They are just jealous they aren't blessed with being awesome :)

We are like Ba
Internet memes make a caricature out of everything and everyone. Not a single one is completely accurate and most of them are wildly inaccurate as they spread based on what is found in the "public consciousness" which is almost always incorrect and there is very limited space to convey an idea (or "joke").

In other words, this problem definitely isn't specific to autism so try not to take it personally (I appreciate that it can be difficult). That's why I have never really liked them. Essays are much more accurate (and can be quite funny as well!:D)

I really dont like memes that are offensive. I love the ones that are just completely stupid and nonsensical, like the amogus one.

Why would they care to understand these conditions? They can life their life just fine remaining completely ignorant, it won't effect them in any way whatsoever.

Personally I don't know anything about schizophrenia for instance, and I don't plan on either. I am not going to put hours into studying this condition just so I can be certain I don't possibly stereotype someone who suffers from it.

Last edited:
Why would they care to understand these conditions? They can life their life just fine remaining completely ignorant, it won't effect them in any way whatsoever.

Personally I don't know anything about schizophrenia for instance, and I don't plan on either. I am not going to put hours into studying this condition just so I can be certain I don't possibly stereotype someone who suffers from it.

This argument is really good , to say the least.

To be sincere, they can stereotype, but i dont like when theyre harmful. Even ones pf groups in not in offend me. ( for spme reason )

How should i react to it ? I get really sad that a lot of memers dont understand these conditions, and just try to use them to look funny.

Example: One time i sawed a " gumball portrayed by " video about mental disorders, and the time autism came, it just represented it as people screaming. It really angered me.

How should i react to it ?
Don’t react to it at all, would be my advice.

Live by meme, die by meme

ogsv6ukjm8j61.png

;)

I ignore and avoid this part of the internet. Makes me angry. Look up #actuallyautisticmemes or join the Autism Comedy Club on Facebook.

Frankly I've always thought of memes first and foremost as a way of projecting something "snarky"; not likely intended to reflect any kind sentiments. -Period.

I would just try to avoid memes/meme culture.
It’s because these days there are a lot of mean-spirited memes that all just say “person who likes X is bad!” (X being anything, from a franchise to a thing you use) just to bully people for what they like.
Example memes include “X fans explaining Y” or “X fan starter pack” or “X fans when Y happens” or even “X fans as portrayed by Y”, exactly similar to “Mental disorders portrayed by Gumball”. All of which just stereotype people who like anything so they can be seen as “bad” across the Internet.
This is why I don’t browse much, ‘cause all it takes is for one meme like these to get you down in the dumps :(

Edit: forgot to put “fans” after the last “X”. Put “fans” after the last “X” so people don’t get confused.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom