• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I.Q. 131 normal for an aspie?

For me tests don't mean much, I can make mistakes in the simplest assignments when I'm overloaded, or have a migraine. Plus I've always had issues with letters and numbers, mostly with letters... the best score I ever got was something like 182 or 183... but again, I don't believe that scores can really indicate how intelligent some people are.

IIRC, the DSM makes no mention of IQ in its entry on Autism Spectrum Disorders. Perhaps some on the spectrum develop a higher IQ than average because they tend to pursue intellectual pursuits, read a lot, try a lot of different things; in short, being naturally prone to absorbing knowledge faster than perhaps an average neurotypical would. But I don't believe Aspies are any more naturally inclined to higher IQ's than those off the spectrum (speaking from personal experience here, being around a lot of NT's who are ridiculously more intelligent than I am, heh).

I think the way lot of those tests are created is quite beneficial for the Autistic brain. It's very little else than a number.
I got 138 on an official test back in high school, especially when I was younger I often found myself wishing I was dumber, because I thought it would make me more accessible to other people.

For me tests don't mean much, I can make mistakes in the simplest assignments when I'm overloaded, or have a migraine. Plus I've always had issues with letters and numbers, mostly with letters... the best score I ever got was something like 182 or 183... but again, I don't believe that scores can really indicate how intelligent some people are.
It's quite lonely on the top I'd imagine.

I don't think that people "have an IQ" any more than they "have an SAT." It's a test score that can be improved with practice. It can be fun to take them, but don't define your potential by them.

What many people do not know is that even though an Aspie may have a high or average IQ, if you break the IQ test down into sections you will see areas of poor performance and areas of extremely good performance but since an IQ test is one score it averages out to average or high overall IQ score. There are many types of intelligences and I urge my clients to remember that and not simply cling to that one number.

I recently took an I.Q. test and I scored 131. Whats a normal IQ for an individual with Asperger's? whats your iq?

I'm not sure what the normal IQ is for an individual with Asperger's but my IQ was, according to my psychologist Dr. Lawrence, "in the high average range at the 90th percentile." That would make it around 118-120.

Personally I am not a fan of IQ tests because so many variables can affect the score, like low thyroid function, wheat and dairy intolerance, dehydration, and other nutritional factors. Heavy metal toxicity can adversely affect IQ scores as well.

I took a free IQ test on computer but found that it was too long. Because I found it hard to concentrate after some time, I just quit.

However, we Aspies are all intelligent, so we should all be grateful for what we do have intellectually, and not bemoan our shortcomings like mine : learning disabilities, poor working memory, and social awkwardness. I am grateful that my life is much closer to normal than it was two years ago.

A higher IQ makes life richer - it is great to have better ability to understand and appreciate the complex things of life, and a better ability to explain what appears to be impossible to explain for many NT's.

If you've taken the SAT or GRE tests there is a conversion formula to get an IQ number. I scored extremely high on verbal aptitude, but a glazed donut would outscore me on math. The two scores added together come out to about 130 IQ. I come out above average on fluid intelligence tests.

I believe that what is overlooked or ignored in Aspies is VISUAL intelligence. I have addressed this in several posts on my blog:

Asperger: The HypoSocial Human | Investigating the Asperger brain as a legacy of ancestral humans

Einstein said: “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Life is precious, EVERY LIFE MATTERS, and "Different" is a gift that is never appreciated until all "normals" are in need of rescue from certain peril, then they ALL cry for "Different" to save them from themselves.

Celebrate your own uniqueness!! It's a gift

I recently took an I.Q. test and I scored 131.
On which test/scale? (Just for clarification.)
My IQ is 160, according to a MENSA test.
I have taken Mensa tests, too. That is a qualifying score, but each test has its own scale (like Celsius vs. Fahrenheit). A 160 on the Cattell is not the same as a 160 on the Wechsler. In fact, a 160 Cattell = 137.5 WAIS. It is a z-score of +2.5 . (+2 is the threshold for Mensa.)

Last edited:
I believe that what is overlooked or ignored in Aspies is VISUAL intelligence.
The Ravens test (and similar*) is known to measure this quality. WAIS-IV includes a similar set of sub-tests/sub-scores (my highest of the four).

*THIS TEST is pretty consistent with my official scores. It is scored in the same scale as the WAIS-IV, IIRC.

edit: I like your term, hyposocial.

Last edited:
I'm super good at taking tests, so I score rather high. My handling of day to day life might suggest that I am not so smart.

I've tested consistently at right around 125 since 6th grade. I wouldn't say I'm one of the more book-smart Aspies, but I may not have as many Aspie challenges either. I'm not sure I'd want to be a genius. There's a lot of responsibility and pressure to perform at that level. I'd say it all balances out in the long run anyway.

I am at around 128 in the two online tests I have taken. I never considered myself highly intelligent but I guess I'm good at figuring out patterns on these crazy tests.

I joke with my wife that I'm only 32 points from being Einstein. She's not impressed.

I've tested consistently at right around 125 since 6th grade. I wouldn't say I'm one of the more book-smart Aspies, but I may not have as many Aspie challenges either. I'm not sure I'd want to be a genius. There's a lot of responsibility and pressure to perform at that level. I'd say it all balances out in the long run anyway.
I'll have to think about responsibility part :p

Pressure? Never,you'll get your answer when I am ready to give it to you :D

I've taken them a number of times over the years scoring from 137 to 141. But I've never really seen them used as any practical benchmark when it comes to determining just how smart or clever one actually is or can be. Ultimately it's just a number...not much else.

Unlike your FICO score...now that's another matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom