• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Only See in Black and White

I Only See in Black and White 2021-06-20

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
VictorR submitted a new resource:

I Only See in Black and White - Journal style book by a young autistic woman

After being diagnosed with autism at age seven, Keara faced various challenges socially and struggled to find acceptance from her peers.

In her 20s Keara still encounters similar struggles with dating and making friends. However, the obstacles she has faced throughout her life have helped shape her into the strong woman she is today.

I Only See in Black and White covers a wide range of topics, such as food sensitivities, rejection, employment for autistic individuals, and body image...

Read more about this resource...

Chapter List:

1. The Power of Friendship
2. Why I’m Selective of Friends
3. Maintaining Healthy Friendships and Relationships
4. Why Making Friends as an Autistic Woman Can Be Challenging
5. Why It’s Challenging to Manage Multiple Friendships Simultaneously
6. Dating – Why it’s Hard to Trust Men
7. My Opinions on Dating
8. Guide to Dating an Autistic Woman
9. Moving On
10. Writing Advice and Thoughts on Tutoring
11. How Romance Movies Influence My Writing
12. How Being Autistic Makes Me Sensitive to Touch
13. Five Songs that Help Me Cope with My Anxiety
14. Why It’s Difficult to Trust People
15. Why It’s Hard to be Myself
16. Why I’m Sensitive to Sound
17. Making Eye Contact is Hard for Me
18. Why I Do Not Want Children as an Autistic Woman
19. Racism
20. Trying to Understand Boundaries
21. Why It’s Difficult to Disclose my Disability to Co-workers
22. The Seven Most Confusing Text Messages to Decipher
23. How Adopting My Cat Has Helped Me Cope with Autism
24. Why Neurotypical Individuals are Difficult to Understand
25. Why I Don’t Drive
26. Food Sensitivities
27. Why Battling an Eating Disorder as Hard as an Autistic Woman
28. What People Should Not Say to an Autistic Woman Suffering from an Eating Disorder
29. The Importance of Fitness
30. A Deeper Thought on Health and Fitness

One of the interesting things about being on the spectrum is how we can really get into a topic, and this will be book review #20 from me on autism related books.

This book has a bit of an unusual distinction for me in that last month, a fellow forum member had asked about suitable books for their probably autistic teenaged daughter, and this was one of the two recommendations I made – though I had not read this book yet myself. I’m not one to give recommendations lightly, and I gave the recommendation on the strength of reviews I have read, and felt that I really should read it myself, and so here we are. And yes, I’ll stand by my recommendation.

This is the third book I’ve read which has been written by someone who grew up with a childhood diagnosis, after Funny, You Don't Look Autistic and Take it From the Expert: Sixteen Years of Living on the Autism Spectrum As with the latter, this provides a female perspective, and is written in an open diary format that gives you an close and intimate look at the author’s thoughts as you’re having a conversation with a close friend. As can be seen in the chapter list, she doesn’t hold back, and delves into some heavy topics, like friendships, trust, eating disorders, cyberbullying and mental health. A lot of these topics impact everyone, but they do more so for those on the spectrum.

I appreciate that some topics, like on having children as an autistic individual, aren’t really covered in other books – this one is only the third I’ve seen to touch on the topic. Another, on not driving, is something that is more common in younger generations, and so it’s also nice to see that as a topic. Exercise is something that we talk about here on the forums a fair bit but is seldom addressed in books on autism, so it’s also nice to see that.

She really breaks from the traditional format of "here's a backgrounder on autism and here's my life story" and I have to give credit for her on bringing up, as noted, topics not frequently covered for whatever reason.

I think what I appreciate most, aside from her candidness, is her maturity and wisdom on a lot of the topics, especially on relationships and having self-respect, along with her willingness to delve into sensitive and personal topics of anxiety and depression. That makes this a great book for everyone, of all ages.

BTW, "why don't I have a girlfriend?" related depression comes up a fair bit for some of the younger guys on our forum. You know who you are, and if you're reading this, consider getting this book and read through the first 7 or so chapters.

A welcome addition to the world of autistic womens’ stories. 5.0/5.0

I've been asked questions like, "You don't have a boyfriend?" (when I was in my teens.)
"You don't want children?"
and the most asked question: " Why didn't you ever marry?"

I finally came up with a generic answer for that one..." I never found another me."

That does look like an interesting book.

New Threads

Top Bottom