• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need your crafting expertise to fix a problem with buckyballs

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I know a lot of people here do lots of different arts and crafts. I'm hoping maybe you have some suggestions.

So, I have a lot of buckyballs (small magnetic balls, like these). I love to fidget with them and I make all sorts of geometric shapes with them. I had a bunch in different colors, but decided that I wanted them all to be the same color so I could make bigger things without worrying about color coordination. So, at my wife's suggestion, I bathed some in acetone to remove the outer layer of colored paint. It worked great so I decided to do the rest.

Here's where I messed up. To do the next batch, I bought some acetone that wasn't just acetone - it had "nail strengthening" chemicals and other stuff in it. But it destroyed the paint and the protective coating underneath! Now those buckyballs have a rough and ugly surface that prevents the magnets from sliding into their optimal alignment when I use them. And, when I work with those ones, my fingers wind up discolored with a dirty dark grey film.

In this picture, the top group is buckyballs that were originally silver colored, or ones that I stripped the paint from with the right acetone. You can see some color differences between the originally-silver ones and the originally-another-color-but-now-stripped-ones, but I'm okay with that. The bottom group are the buckyballs I ruined with the wrong acetone.
Picture1.jpg

I'm so sad because these things are expensive. 216 buckyballs costs around $20-$30 and I just ruined about 800 of them. I've tried buying more (like those in the link I posted above), but they've changed since I bought these one over a decade ago. The new buckyballs are noticeably smaller and weaker. Because of their size, they're not compatible with the ones I already have, and because they're weaker, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to make the larger structures I like to make with the ones I already have. So, I'm desperate to fix these ones that I ruined.

My wife suggested trying to spray paint them. I'm thinking of trying that. I can find a small metal sheet to put them on so that they're separated. Then I can try some super light and quick passes with some spray paint. I'll have to turn them over individually to do the other side - this will be very tedious, but it's the only idea I've got so far.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

ohhhh
buckyballs
Not Buckeye balls.

I should go have breakfast.

My wife suggested trying to spray paint them. I'm thinking of trying that. I can find a small metal sheet to put them on so that they're separated. Then I can try some super light and quick passes with some spray paint. I'll have to turn them over individually to do the other side - this will be very tedious, but it's the only idea I've got so far.

Trying to spray paint onto a very light spherical surface? The object in question will quickly roll away. Where when you attempt to paint a portion that remains unpainted, your fingers inevitably touch painted areas and spoil it.

Reminds me of airbrushing individual plastic parts with compressed air that aren't somehow anchored down. Where it becomes tedious in attempting to uniformly coating such surfaces with paint.

In essence the flow of air on the balls will likely keep you from ever achieving a uniformly painted surface.

Probably best to chalk it up as a loss and simply buy some new ones. Besides, the odds of being able to paint something that would last comparable to industrial methods and specs seem remote at best.

Last edited:

I think I would try to spray paint them and then wait until they are dry. And then roll all of them around a little and spray paint them again. And just keep doing that until everything was covered. It sounds like a never ending job to turn them over individually.

Trying to spray paint onto a very light spherical surface? The object in question will quickly roll away. Where when you attempt to paint a portion that remains unpainted, your fingers inevitably touch painted areas and spoil it.

Reminds me of airbrushing individual plastic parts with compressed air that aren't somehow anchored down. Where it becomes tedious in attempting to uniformly coating such surfaces with paint.

In essence the flow of air on the balls will likely keep you from ever achieving a uniformly painted surface.

Probably best to chalk it up as a loss and simply buy some new ones. Besides, the odds of being able to paint something that would last comparable to industrial methods and specs seem remote at best.
Alas, I've tried buying new ones from two different sources (Temu and buckyballstore.com) and the new buckyballs are smaller and weaker - definitely not up to the quality that they used to be. I've returned the order from Temu and still need to return the order from buckyballstore.com. Years ago, I got some of them from Ali Express, which I haven't tried, but after two bad samples, I'm afraid that all the new buckyballs are going to be smaller and weaker.

I know trying to spray paint these will be a pain, but they can't get any more broken than they already are. I've got nothing to lose by trying.

Last edited:
Alas, I've tried buying new ones from two different sources (Temu and buckyballstore.com) and the new buckyballs are smaller and weaker - definitely not up to the quality that they used to be.

I know trying to spray paint these will be a pain, but they can't get any more broken than they already are. I've got nothing to lose by trying.
I'd think part of the charm- and functionality of such a product would be the consistency of its surface. Especially being spherical. That any surface aberrations could degrade their performance. Repainting them in particular, given the use of specific types of acetone that has already spoiled their surface.

I just know about attempting to efficiently spray paint items that are not securely anchored. Often an exercise in futility. Though you might consider attempting to place the balls one-by-one on some kind of mildly adhesive paper/surface. Which might give you more control in attempting to paint them. Then being able to reposition them to cleanly paint the portion of the balls that were previously stuck to the surface.

Something I've had some minor success doing using weak adhesive/masking tape. But you have to be very patient in allowing paint to dry before repositioning the items on the same mild adhesive surface. The one case where very light balls might withstand the force of compressed air being blown on them.

Hint: Masking Tape vs. Painter’s Tape: Selecting the Right Supply for Your Painting Project

Last edited:
I think I would try to spray paint them and then wait until they are dry. And then roll all of them around a little and spray paint them again. And just keep doing that until everything was covered. It sounds like a never ending job to turn them over individually.
It does sound like a never-ending, tedious job. I don't know of any way around that. I could probably keep them separated if I just do a few at a time. If two of them get within about an inch and a half of each other, their magnetism will pull them together.

Hmm. Not a chemist but what does occur to me is not painting but trying to refinish. I don't work with metals but in art and wood projects I often use clear finish products. They usually come in flat, satin or gloss types. I usually use acrylic products rather then enamels (which are stronger chemicals) but don't know what works with metals best. There are brush on and spray can types. If it was me I would brush on half of each, let dry and do the other half. But try to really wash off the acetone residue first just with soapy water.

I really dislike the strong chemicals like acetone and so avoid them if at all possible. And if I use I try and not touch or breath in the fumes. They are pretty harsh on skin and lungs.

They just don't make Buckyballs like they used to. ;)

I think I'm going to try @Tom's and @Judge's ideas combined. The color isn't too far off - I don't really need them painted so much as I need them smoothed. A finish might do the trick.

And I can put them on a metal sheet. Because they're magnets, they'll stay in place and I can apply a finish as lightly as possible to one side, let it dry, then do the other side.

I've got a busy next two weeks, so it might be a while before I can try it out, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you for your input.

I just realized that I need to try something simpler first - I need to wash them.

If I'm okay with the color being a bit off then the only real problem is the residue they leave on my fingers. Maybe that'll wash off.

I should at least try that first.

Cannot help much after the fact next time use MEK rather than acetone very similar. sounds like your acetone had some sort of ester in it. probably recycled nail polish remover. metal sheet sounds like it may work. stick with clear finish no pigment. Keep in mind acetone evaporate very quickly. MEK is to go to for us paint guys.

On reflection rewash with MEK your sticky fingers tell me you probably have ester residue on the balls.

Last edited:
And I can put them on a metal sheet. Because they're magnets, they'll stay in place and I can apply a finish as lightly as possible to one side, let it dry, then do the other side.
Good point, assuming the magnetic strength is sufficient to overcome the air spray. That may indeed work. And the remainder of the ball to paint should be minimal since its spherical. Hope it works to your satisfaction.

Could you use some sort of dyi spinning drum design to apply either paint or finish? This seems like a common way to coat spherical objects in both cooking and crafting.

1686013729368.jpg

Cannot help much after the fact next time use MEK rather than acetone very similar. sounds like your acetone had some sort of ester in it. probably recycled nail polish remover. metal sheet sounds like it may work. stick with clear finish no pigment. Keep in mind acetone evaporate very quickly. MEK is to go to for us paint guys.

On reflection rewash with MEK your sticky fingers tell me you probably have ester residue on the balls.

The last line gave me a (unintended) chuckle. ;)

Ester residue on the balls sounds sounds extremely flammable. Stay away from gas stations, and fire pits, could be charred balls next. @Tom may have more insight on this.

Last edited:
I'd see if I could get the balls to present random sides to the spray can, so that many light coats would average out. A sticky surface might help. Or, with a surface made of pin points, they might need fewer coats, and the tiny pits left would polish over in use. Any chance of doing magnetic levitation on them?

New Threads

Top Bottom