• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need your comments in kids' anxiety

If you are saying you found a way to stop developing seemingly random phobias when you grew up, I beg you to tell us how. I am nearly thirty, and the last thing I was afraid of was my dog dying because of some mistake on the veterinary's part earlier today. She was getting her claws trimmed.

I don't know if it's what others here say, about learning that a thing can happen to others thus realizing it can happen to yourself. Surely, that is part of it. But then, if she was feeling dizzy that might be interpreted as a fear of falling. Information doesn't always get processed in time. Escalators, however, they're objectively scary. They are noisy and in motion and can eat your shoe, cut off your foot, or kill you, depending on how alert you are. You know where it's hard to be alert? In a mall. Noisy, movy place full of people.

When it comes to still sleeping where his brother sleeps, maybe he chooses to change one thing at a time.

Fear of heights is natural, and also vertigo may be in the mix.

Im fine rock climbing, but I get real vertigo and feer from open ,high spaces like escalators over multiple stories. I still hate them now, but have not much feer climbing 100 feet and jumping off to abseil down.

I don't believe I could overcome that as it's built in and not a phobia.

The other thing is dreams. I used to get vivid dreams that I could not seperate from reality as a kid. I used to dream of crawling up a stair case that spiralled around a huge room, and the banister disappeared and the stairs got narrow until they were a few feet wide.

Just a thought.

Their was my life once and still is to a point. I'm anxious about things I enjoy and things no one even thinks about. Before I started taking fluoxetine and doing so speech thearpy my anxiety was at the point I wouldn't do anything.

As upsetting as this post sounds. I'm just trying to say help is available.

I don't know what to say about the boy's issues, but for the girl, has she recently entered puberty? As you probably already know, with extremities growing first, adolescents become clumsy even if they weren't before. If she has a sense of that, it might increase her anxiety. (Late pregnancy had the same effect [on sense of balance] for my wife.)

A process that I read about for getting rid of phobias is called "desensitization". The basic idea as I understand it is: first the phobic pictures the thing they r afraid of in the distance, then closer and closer. Then they start with the actual thing they r afraid of, etc.

I will see if I can find a link with more about it.

Here you go: Systematic desensitization - Wikipedia

I have used this myself, on my own. I think other people could also do this and perhaps help their children do it too. Since therapists cost a lot or are not available, it is probably worthwhile to consider trying it, carefully.

It can take a long time with one phobia. It can be daunting if there are a lot of phobias, but this is better than nothing. This is where a narrow focus can come in handy. Just think of one phobia at a time. Do not overwhelm yourself with the rest of the phobias.

Last edited:
A process that I read about for getting rid of phobias is called "desensitization". The basic idea as I understand it is: first the phobic pictures the thing they r afraid of in the distance, then closer and closer. Then they start with the actual thing they r afraid of, etc.

I will see if I can find a link with more about it.

Here you go: Systematic desensitization - Wikipedia

I have used this myself, on my own. I think other people could also do this and perhaps help their children do it too. Since therapists cost a lot or are not available, it is probably worthwhile to consider trying it, carefully.

It can take a long time with one phobia. It can be daunting if there are a lot of phobias, but this is better than nothing. This is where a narrow focus can come in handy. Just think of one phobia at a time. Do not overwhelm yourself with the rest of the phobias.

Yes Alaska, I think desensitization seems similar to or may be a part of immersion therapy, which is detailed below:

Quoting wikipedia:

"Immersion therapy

Immersion therapy is a psychological technique which allows a patient to overcome fears (phobias), but can be used for anxiety, panic, and sexuality disorders as well.[1]

First a fear-hierarchy is created: the patient is asked a series of questions to determine the level of discomfort the fear causes in various conditions. Can the patient talk about the object of their fear, can the patient tolerate a picture of it or watch a movie which has the object of their fear, can they be in the same room with the object of their fear, and/or can they be in physical contact with it?

Once these questions have been ordered beginning with least discomfort to most discomfort, the patient is taught a relaxation exercise. Such an exercise might be tensing all the muscles in the patient's body then relaxing them and saying "relax", and then repeating this process until the patient is calm.

Next, the patient is exposed to the object of their fear in a condition with which they are most comfortable - such as merely talking about the object of their fear. Then, while in such an environment, the patient performs the relaxation exercise until she or he is comfortable at that level.

After that, the patient moves up the hierarchy to the next condition, such as a picture or movie of the object of fear, and then to the next level in the hierarchy and so on until the patient is able to cope with the fear directly.

Although it may take several sessions to achieve a resolution, the technique is regarded as successful. Many research studies are being conducted in regard to achieving immersion therapy goals in a virtual computer based program, although results are not conclusive."

End quote.

Also, besides immersion therapy, I myself loved resorting to positive visualizations of me overcoming any severe anxiety, fear or phobia For instance, if I feared giving speeches in front of a certain group of people or groups of people in general, I visualized vividly in colorful detail of me giving fluid, confident and calm speeches in front of that particular group I feared, or in front of different imagined groups of people in varying different environments.

For those positive visualizations of me succeeeding, at something I feared or could not do, my theory was that if I had those visions over and over again in my head, over time this would either replace those actual negative experiences of me failing, or if I had never failed before but feared that thing nevertheless, it created more positive reinforcement, thus making it seem like eventually that those visualizations where starting to resemble positive actual experiences of me succeeding at speaking.

For those vivid visions, I usually did it three times per day, about ten to fifteen minutes each in length. I would imagine my posture and facial expressions as being appropriate for the speech too, and my ways of moving about, whether standing in one position, or moving a little depending on the audience. In all those detailed daydreams, I would see the small or large audience in my mind, too, and their facial expressions and eyes showed they loved my speeches, and sometimes with them standing and clapping at the end, if it was a big event.

Another self-help trick is to actually change ones posture and expressions in real life to alter ones mood. Sometimes that will work instantly for those who have not masked their facial expressions and postures most of their life. The theory for that is if many persons smile when happy, frown when sad, have hunched posture when depressed, are confident when standing straight up and with shoulders back, or have eyes diverted when shy, etc., then if one wants to feel a certain way, just change that posture or facial expression to that more positive and confident state to jump start one into a better mood.

Also, it should be noted although doctors will often say genetics is behind certain obsessions, anxieties, fears, depression, and stress, they are just guessing in many cases the cause, or with agenda to say such,, and the easy thing is to prescribe drugs, and to keep have the patient coming back. As well, cognitive and talk therapy therapists want to often drag out treatment long term too, partly for money reasons. The therapist does not want to give all the cognitive or self-help solutions written out and upfront to patients, as they would be out of work. It's better to do things best for their timing.

Self-help is not for all persons, as I have learned over the years, as many do not want to change or put forth the effort, or cannot. Many should not change. But, if one wants to do something each day to head in the right direction without relying on doctors as much, and without costing money, and without things extending numerous years, why not at least try it? If doctors had all the answers so many persons would not be still suffering at their hands. For those who are fine without any change and do not need that, be yourself. Live life how you want it to the best of your ability based on who you are.

For me, I see no point in worrying long term over any issue. I just focus on giving good effort, in several different ways, and by analyzing each situation differently, and tailoring a plan for that, and by being as constructive and truthful as possible. Often this requires being positive. And that can be achieved too by being around supportive persons, self-praise, distancing ourselves from bad persons, and by changing negative thoughts or situation into something positive, or by diverting the mind from some negative thought to something else positive.

A quick example. Let's say I just got pulled over by a police officer for a speeding ticket, after driving too fast. Although it is understandable to be upset at that, as cops can be scary, and as that upset feeling is needed to help learn to not do that again, then change your thoughts to something more positive instead of blaming the police officer, by telling yourself he is doing you the favor by saving you your life possibly one day. Or let's say I was worrying about some past criticism from another. Before that turns into some prolonged obsession, shift your mind to something totally different like you looking forward to going to the park with the children.

Or just do something positive when despair starts creeping in. Often those who are depressed, anxious or fearful are thinking too much, and just sitting or laying in bed where negative thoughts and feelings then build up steam and flourish. Do something you enjoy and are good at, more often. More time doing positive, fun, and relaxing things, means less times worrying. As well, use humor more. Try making light of any perceived flaws. This does not mean taking lightly abuse, and things that should be upsetting. That needs to be dealt with.

Although I think self-help will not solve everything, too often persons do not resort to trying it. They rather always blame events, life situations, or others for keeping them down, anxious and fearful, and so that is why they do not act. I realize though there are persons that thrive under stress, but others tend to crumble. Some genetically have less stress tolerance, and so that is why finding ways to reduce stress is important. Eating healthier, exercising, and for many, being in sunlight helps, and does not hurt. Many may need drugs, if self-help is not for them. The point of saying all of this is: be proactive in being your best. Research things if need be too. Do not rely always on others and events to put you in that proper frame of mind.

Last edited:
Yes Alaska, I think desensitization seems similar to or may be a part of immersion therapy, which is detailed below:

Quoting wikipedia:

"Immersion therapy

Immersion therapy is a psychological technique which allows a patient to overcome fears (phobias), but can be used for anxiety, panic, and sexuality disorders as well.[1]

First a fear-hierarchy is created: the patient is asked a series of questions to determine the level of discomfort the fear causes in various conditions. Can the patient talk about the object of their fear, can the patient tolerate a picture of it or watch a movie which has the object of their fear, can they be in the same room with the object of their fear, and/or can they be in physical contact with it?

Once these questions have been ordered beginning with least discomfort to most discomfort, the patient is taught a relaxation exercise. Such an exercise might be tensing all the muscles in the patient's body then relaxing them and saying "relax", and then repeating this process until the patient is calm.

Next, the patient is exposed to the object of their fear in a condition with which they are most comfortable - such as merely talking about the object of their fear. Then, while in such an environment, the patient performs the relaxation exercise until she or he is comfortable at that level.

After that, the patient moves up the hierarchy to the next condition, such as a picture or movie of the object of fear, and then to the next level in the hierarchy and so on until the patient is able to cope with the fear directly.

Although it may take several sessions to achieve a resolution, the technique is regarded as successful. Many research studies are being conducted in regard to achieving immersion therapy goals in a virtual computer based program, although results are not conclusive."

End quote.

Also, besides immersion therapy, I myself loved resorting to positive visualizations of me overcoming any severe anxiety, fear or phobia For instance, if I feared giving speeches in front of a certain group of people or groups of people in general, I visualized vividly in colorful detail of me giving fluid, confident and calm speeches in front of that particular group I feared, or in front of different imagined groups of people in varying different environments.

For those positive visualizations of me succeeeding, at something I feared or could not do, my theory was that if I had those visions over and over again in my head, over time this would either replace those actual negative experiences of me failing, or if I had never failed before but feared that thing nevertheless, it created more positive reinforcement, thus making it seem like eventually that those visualizations where starting to resemble positive actual experiences of me succeeding at speaking.

For those vivid visions, I usually did it three times per day, about ten to fifteen minutes each in length. I would imagine my posture and facial expressions as being appropriate for the speech too, and my ways of moving about, whether standing in one position, or moving a little depending on the audience. In all those detailed daydreams, I would see the small or large audience in my mind, too, and their facial expressions and eyes showed they loved my speeches, and sometimes with them standing and clapping at the end, if it was a big event.

Another self-help trick is to actually change ones posture and expressions in real life to alter ones mood. Sometimes that will work instantly for those who have not masked their facial expressions and postures most of their life. The theory for that is if many persons smile when happy, frown when sad, have hunched posture when depressed, are confident when standing straight up and with shoulders back, or have eyes diverted when shy, etc., then if one wants to feel a certain way, just change that posture or facial expression to that more positive and confident state to jump start one into a better mood.

Also, it should be noted although doctors will often say genetics is behind certain obsessions, anxieties, fears, depression, and stress, they are just guessing in many cases the cause, or with agenda to say such,, and the easy thing is to prescribe drugs, and to keep have the patient coming back. As well, cognitive and talk therapy therapists want to often drag out treatment long term too, partly for money reasons. The therapist does not want to give all the cognitive or self-help solutions written out and upfront to patients, as they would be out of work. It's better to do things best for their timing.

Self-help is not for all persons, as I have learned over the years, as many do not want to change or put forth the effort, or cannot. Many should not change. But, if one wants to do something each day to head in the right direction without relying on doctors as much, and without costing money, and without things extending numerous years, why not at least try it? If doctors had all the answers so many persons would not be still suffering at their hands. For those who are fine without any change and do not need that, be yourself. Live life how you want it to the best of your ability based on who you are.

For me, I see no point in worrying long term over any issue. I just focus on giving good effort, in several different ways, and by analyzing each situation differently, and tailoring a plan for that, and by being as constructive and truthful as possible. Often this requires being positive. And that can be achieved too by being around supportive persons, self-praise, distancing ourselves from bad persons, and by changing negative thoughts or situation into something positive, or by diverting the mind from some negative thought to something else positive.

A quick example. Let's say I just got pulled over by a police officer for a speeding ticket, after driving too fast. Although it is understandable to be upset at that, as cops can be scary, and as that upset feeling is needed to help learn to not do that again, then change your thoughts to something more positive instead of blaming the police officer, by telling yourself he is doing you the favor by saving you your life possibly one day. Or let's say I was worrying about some past criticism from another. Before that turns into some prolonged obsession, shift your mind to something totally different like you looking forward to going to the park with the children.

Or just do something positive when despair starts creeping in. Often those who are depressed, anxious or fearful are thinking too much, and just sitting or laying in bed where negative thoughts and feelings then build up steam and flourish. Do something you enjoy and are good at, more often. More time doing positive, fun, and relaxing things, means less times worrying. As well, use humor more. Try making light of any perceived flaws. This does not mean taking lightly abuse, and things that should be upsetting. That needs to be dealt with.

Although I think self-help will not solve everything, too often persons do not resort to trying it. They rather always blame events, life situations, or others for keeping them down, anxious and fearful, and so that is why they do not act. I realize though there are persons that thrive under stress, but others tend to crumble. Some genetically have less stress tolerance, and so that is why finding ways to reduce stress is important. Eating healthier, exercising, and for many, being in sunlight helps, and does not hurt. Many may need drugs, if self-help is not for them. The point of saying all of this is: be proactive in being your best. Research things if need be too. Do not rely always on others and events to put you in that proper frame of mind.

There are a lot of therapies that can be foisted on us, so it is hard to sort them out. I think, "immersion therapy" is closer to, "flooding therapy" than it is to desensitization. I do not like either immersion therapy or flooding, because they are rather violent to the person suffering from the phobia they are meant to cure. They also are not as likely to last as well as desensitization is.

Here is a link to a site that explains the different phobia cures: http://www.healthguideinfo.com/phobias/p104414/

Flooding and immersion cures are very fast, compared to desensitization. That part is good. The bad part is how they do it. If, for example, you are afraid of snakes, they will end up shutting you in a room with a snake until you are cured. This is little better than medieval torture methods, as far as I am concerned.

It is about the last thing I would want to do to a child, especially a loved one.

I like desensitization much better than immersion therapy or flooding. I learned enough to try using it on myself. My phobias were rapidly multiplying at the time, so I got in lots of practice using desensitization. I was able to thin my phobias out a lot, although it took some time.

I am not saying that I think this do-it-yourself approach is for everyone, but for those who can manage it, it is a great help. If you can not afford a therapist it is really important to have the choice to use desensitization.

Last edited:
There are a lot of therapies that can be foisted on us, so it is hard to sort them out. I think, "immersion therapy" is closer to, "flooding therapy" than it is to desensitization. I do not like either immersion therapy or flooding, because they are rather violent to the person suffering from the phobia they are meant to cure. They also are not as likely to last as well as desensitization is.

Here is a link to a site that explains the different phobia cures: http://www.healthguideinfo.com/phobias/p104414/

Flooding and immersion cures are very fast, compared to desensitization. That part is good. The bad part is how they do it. If, for example, you are afraid of snakes, they will end up shutting you in a room with a snake until you are cured. This is little better than medieval torture methods, as far as I am concerned.

It is about the last thing I would want to do to a child, especially a loved one.

I like desensitization much better than immersion therapy or flooding. I learned enough to try using it on myself. My phobias were rapidly multiplying at the time, so I got in lots of practice using desensitization. I was able to thin my phobias out a lot, although it took some time.

I am not saying that I think this do-it-yourself approach is for everyone, but for those who can manage it, it is a great help. If you can not afford a therapist it is really important to have the choice to use desensitization.

That was informative, thanks. For me I knew most of my anxietiy and fear issues likely were environment related. Yes, I had some uncles who were. a bit shy, but nowhere as much as dysfunctional as me growing up. So, the choice was easy to put me back on that path to doing self-help in reclaiming my identity.

For our children with Autism, we are not doing such self-help things, as just like religion and politics, that is a personal choice. It is not our right to impose such is our feeling. They come from a loving environment, and so any issues they have is genetic. Prior to diagnostics and a bit after, they got treatments, and everything was tried except meds, but after we saw all treatments were not helpful, or with wrong intentions we discarded everything.

Our children are happy persons being themselves, and us focusing on just bringing out their best in our various educational instructions, and through a healthy home environment, and through more proper parenting methods. Of course for sensory issues and intolerances, we are always mindful of that. If there are issues they can work through naturally, some may need to be broken down step by step. We go at their paces, and do things often in their needed ways.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom