• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need help but no one believes me

Dreadful Dante

What would be a good selection of words, expressions and body language to properly explain to someone that I need help?Apparently, my voice tone is too monotome and my speech is to formal with no emotional peaks to it and these characteristics make me seem absolutely calm and definitely not in need of help.

When I'm being honest, I sound like that. When I act, I can purposefully create these emotional "responses" but it would be a lie to myself if I did that in a psyche professional's office.

I've been to professionals who didn't help me because I looked "very normal".

Ok, I know I'm normal, but I still need help. I had to wear a mask for so long that when I need to be honest, I panic afraid it's going to result in someone being profoundly offended by some attitude of mine (it happened again a few hours ago).

When I'm texting, it's worse. I can't read people's non-verbal responses to adapt my sentences according to them.

I really want to be honest with someone and not be called stupid or selfish. I REALLY REALLY REALY want it.

How can I tell them I need help using inteligible sentences that will certainly make sense to them?

Maybe writing it (long form, without interruption -- not texting), instead, is an option?

I know I'm able to be much, much more expressive and intelligible on the page. Sometimes, especially if I'm overwrought, and then find myself at a verbal impasse (and go all flat affect to boot), it's really the only option that works for me.

I have written around 12 pages on my journal. 7 when I went to the last psychiatrist I saw. She said I was giving too much thought to a problem I didn't have when I told her that. It didn't help me with my problem at all.

I'll read my data to the next psychologist I go to. Hope she understands.

Forgot to say that I even have interviews with my family members where I ask them to describe me since my childhood and they precisely depict what I've written on my journal.

I did this so I wouldn't need to try and verbalize all of my issues. I would just show them the audios instead.

BUT, until I'm able to actually show them I need help, I can't ask of them to listen to a whole hour of my family members rambling about how cold and isolated I am.

Thank you, Turanga. It means a lot to me that you answered my thread.

Hi Dante! You might just be overwhelming your therapist with details, so she can't hear your big picture/message.Try a list. Make your list of short sentences. Here's an example:

I need help, and my situation is urgent.
My anxiety makes it so that I can not function without struggle.
I feel so depressed, that my very existence is excruciating.

After your short list, write down what you want her to help you with:

Please sign me up for a medication consult with a prescribing colleague.
Please tell me which coping skills books you would suggest.
Please begin to train me in coping skills or mindfulness practice.

Keeping things succinct might help her hear your message better. Best of luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom