• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I made the mistake again...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Followed a social media rabbit hole over to another Facebook, based on a post

Just someone who has an incredible collection of vintage sports cars (in the same province), something I do not have... And thus their life is probably far more exciting than mine... It almost depresses me to even look at their posts about all the nice cars they own, when I have the world's most humblest car and not all that terribly special

Anyway, withdrew from that before I got my head into too much trouble :oops:

Omg. Can you imagine the upkeep and the insurance costs of warehousing that collection. It's nicer to admire from afar. Take pictures, and enjoy that. :)

Somebody just stole a Mercedes where l live recently. It's not like you can jump in your antique car and mosey over to the coffee shop without worrying about where you parked it. And somebody just stole the license's plate off a Telsa for the tabs. This couple went to a restaurant up the street from me, came back and noticed the plate was gone.

Last edited:
Omg. Can you imagine the upkeep and the insurance costs of warehousing that collection. It's nicer to admire from afar. Take pictures, and enjoy that. :)

No worries there, I could deal with that just fine (assuming I had enough money), but... Reality bites, I don't get all the fun... :rolleyes:

Says the guy who does the street portraits I'm green with envy over. At the end of the day cars are just stuff. You can connect with people in ways I don't think I ever will. That is its own kind of wealth, sir.
But a great sports car would be so much fun too :p

I have seen too many people with exotics that just end up being street divas. That is why I bought an inexpensive used MR2 that I do not need to keep in pristine condition as I modify the interior and engine to run it on track days. It is satisfying when I can corner better than heavier, more powerful, cars. Next year I'm dropping a 2ZZ-GE powerplant and six speed tranny in it and looking for a tighter track.

But a great sports car would be so much fun too
I used to think that then I owned several. They turned out to not be any more fun than my cheap cars except for being much more expensive. I'm happy with the sedan I bought used because it carries my cameras and myself around. Here's the irony of my life: When I was fifteen all I could think about was getting a car so I didn't have to walk everywhere. Now that I'm in my fifties, I'm mainly interested in using my car to go to places where I'd like to walk.

@Gerald Wilgus -

I agree that some with exotics do treat them as garage queens, but I drive mine every chance I get and so do my friends. These cars are meant to be shared with other enthusiasts and it always warms my heart when I see a young child go nuts when I let them sit in mine.

I owned a 1980 Turbo Capri, great car to drive nicely balanced, would corner lie a train on a track. broke down all the time, high maintenance. Glad us quality Engineers changed that over the last 40 years. Only bought used cars since, much more reliable.

I don't think I ever had so much fun with a car as I did with my first one. A brand new teal 1974 MG Midget. Loved the way it handled over winding roads with the top down. Didn't even have to drive fast to appreciate that.

Tragically it was stolen in 1982, never to be recovered. Broke my heart, and remains most of my PTSD over having a car stolen at a time when I could least afford it. To this day when I can't immediately see my car in a parking lot my heart starts to race...wondering if the worst has happened.

Next year I'm dropping a 2ZZ-GE powerplant and six speed tranny in it and looking for a tighter track.

Wish I could talk you out of that.

Loved my 2000 Celica GTS with that engine/transmission, but be very aware of the input shaft bearing issues. Where your engine will eventually begin to get noisier and rattle. The sort of sound like a throwout bearing going out on the clutch, but it's inside the tran$mission. One of those rare issues where Toyota dealers seemed to play dumb about.

I suppose the prudent thing would be to ensure that the transmission for such an engine was recently rebuilt. Though that in itself may not halt the input shaft bearing from eventually going bad. I started hearing mine about five years into owning my Celica GTS, purchased new in 2000.

Took me several years just to learn about that damn input shaft bearing issue.

But these days I still manage to enjoy my Mazda 3 GT Hatchback...but mostly for the comfort amenities I never had on all my earlier cars. With a 9-speaker Bose audio system and my entire music collection accessible via USB. :cool:

Last edited:
This guy does have a TVR Tuscan and a Jaguar... Also a Ford EXP... I'm pretty sure they aren't trailer queens...

And it was only a brief thought anyway... :)

This guy does have a TVR Tuscan and a Jaguar... Also a Ford EXP... I'm pretty sure they aren't trailer queens...

And it was only a brief thought anyway... :)
Cool. I've never even seen a TVR on the road before!

Cool. I've never even seen a TVR on the road before!
I've seen several but not often... They did sell the Tuscan and 1970's M Series in North America... I've seen the Tuscan he owns a few years ago at a car show, this one is a RHD private import, but there are LHD examples around too...

Last edited:
I've seen several but not often... They did sell the Tuscan and 1970's M Series in North America...
That's definitely one car I would have noticed had I ever seen one on the road ! I think the first time I ever even heard of TVR was from Road & Track magazine.

That's definitely one car I would have noticed had I ever seen one on the road ! I think the first time I ever even heard of TVR was from Road & Track magazine.
And I should mention that I've only seen them at car shows, but even then not that often

@Gerald Wilgus -

I agree that some with exotics do treat them as garage queens, but I drive mine every chance I get and so do my friends. These cars are meant to be shared with other enthusiasts and it always warms my heart when I see a young child go nuts when I let them sit in mine.
You haven't said what your ride is. I hope you are getting it out on track days

I don't think I ever had so much fun with a car as I did with my first one. A brand new teal 1974 MG Midget. Loved the way it handled over winding roads with the top down. Didn't even have to drive fast to appreciate that.

Tragically it was stolen in 1982, never to be recovered. Broke my heart, and remains most of my PTSD over having a car stolen at a time when I could least afford it. To this day when I can't immediately see my car in a parking lot my heart starts to race...wondering if the worst has happened.
Of the English cars, I wish I could afford a Sunbeam Tiger with the Ford 289. But I think it is not as well balanced as my MR2.

Growing up I could never afford or justify anything good. My first car was a 10 year old, 1956 Buick Roadmaster convertible. A horrible tank of a car. Though the worst was a Toyota Tercel. With 2 whitewater boats on top it could barely go 65 mph and the radiator fan was in front of the radiator . . . Once going across Montana, through swarms of grasshoppers, they packed the fan cowling full and burnt out the motor. What a horrible mess to fix.

Last edited:
Of the English cars, I wish I could afford a Sunbeam Tiger with the Ford 289. But I think it is not as well balanced as my MR2.

Growing up I could never afford or justify anything good. My first car was a 10 year old, 1956 Buick Roadmaster convertible. A horrible tank of a car. Though the worst was a Toyota Tercel. With 2 whitewater boats on top it could barely go 65 mph and the radiator fan was in front of the radiator . . . Once going across Montana, through swarms of grasshoppers, they packed the fan cowling full and burnt out the motor. What a horrible mess to fix.

Sunbeam Tiger isn't as much a sports as a Toyota MR2 is, so you would be correct...

I think I've said it before but I've never really owned what I would call (what most people would call) a "nice car", I'm not sure I will ever be able to at the rate I'm going at financially

New Threads

Top Bottom