• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have been fired

This really sucks. You were abused, and the other members of staff didn't support or defend you. It sounds like a scapegoat has been made of you and the boss/supervisor 'sacrified' you in order to save face... or not lose a client. What kind of organisation organises these events, is it a school? Is it a private school or institution? Schools are businesses and are all about public relations and profit, not always about what is right and wrong or fair. I am a private language tutor and used to work in a school, but I couldn't handle the environment and now I work freelance with individuals, it's better that way. I don't want to get involved with office/staff petty politics or have to deal with parents without the support and backup of the other staff.
Yes, it certainly feels like that. I do think that instead of telling the parents that they were responsible, that it’s done to save face to shutting them up. I’d hope so anyway because I don’t think someone can be so ignorant to ignore the other Good events. The organization is a tennis center. It was actusually a tournament that was not suitable for two of the kids. The boss chose to walk off because he couldn’t or wouldn’t handle the two that he wanted to make an obstacle course for *not a tournament for them. And we were left to juggle several kids under the age of 10, between 4-8 whilst one of the kids (4 )attacked others, vandalized property and was just an awkward little .....with “great “ parenting.

I should look at it that I’ve been done a favor. I can now look for something better suited for my vocation. But doesn’t feel like that at the moment. I don’t even want to do things or interact with people.

You’d think that there would be protection for employees but it obviously seems to not be the case...

There is protection against such abuse but it can be difficult to enforce. I only know the state of play in the UK in any detail and here the odds are stacked against you. If you are wronged you can go to a tribunal but you can bet your house that the company will hire more expensive lawyers than you can afford. Then it's entirely up to you to support your claims which will often hinge on support from colleagues who frequently look out for their own interests rather than yours. It's often best to walk away because the protracted process of pursuing what is in effect a civil case against an employer is painful and frustrating in it's own right.
I did pursue such a case a few years back and I received a healthy compensation payment because of it, but it was HARD and caused no end of stress and meltdowns in it's own right. Whether or not to go down that road is a big decision ;)
BTW - welcome to the forum :)

I should look at it that I’ve been done a favor. I can now look for something better suited for my vocation. But doesn’t feel like that at the moment. I don’t even want to do things or interact with people.
Yes, perhaps it is for the better. I would take a week or so off to calm down and recover, and then look around for other options, perhaps private tutoring if you are a teacher/instructor.

Thank you! I’m really glad that I found this forum and joined it. You’re all supportive and understanding. It’s very nice to have that again.

I can tell you, that I would have had several meltdowns with the pure injustice of it all!

Obviously what has happened is putting the reputation of the group, ahead of caring for the staff and why, you got fired and nothing done with the diobolical "parents" and no doubt, why their child behaves in such a manner.

Generally, children are aggressive, due to lack of being listened to.

Anyway, I shall echo what every one is saying: welcome to aspiecentral.

It’s just a blow. Especially when I’m factoring in how confused I am that it’s apparently acceptable behavior to abuse but I can’t stand up for myself? Although even then, I really didn’t have much of an opportunity to try to do it diplomatically...

I would just think of it as people not listening to you or caring about your side of things (meaning your boss; obviously those parents don't care but I wouldn't expect them to after how they acted), not as people condoning abusive behavior, per se. (Those parents likely have no insight into their own behavior, perhaps justify it away with a convenient and heavily warped double-standard wherein everyone must treat them with deference but they can do whatever they like.)

When those parents complained about you, I'm quite certain they would not have mentioned anything they did wrong, and I would not be at all surprised if they completely misrepresented their own behavior as being the epitome of politeness. So it's your word against theirs.

Your boss should have done a proper investigation of the incident; They should have asked for your side of the story and tried to talk to your co-workers and maybe even other parents at the event (to get witness corroboration for one side or the other).

You're not the mother and you're not responsible for anyone else's behavior aside from your own, which (I believe) you handled fairly well given the circumstances. The parents are at fault here, not you, and that's just completely outrageous the way THEY dealt with this situation. Absolutely uncalled for, but in the end they're going to have a bigger problem down the road should their child(ren) continue this sort of behavior, and it'll be their problem alone to deal with eventually.

This sounds like a stroke of really bad luck and I'm sorry you went through this. Try to keep your head up and let it blow over if you can, plenty of other opportunities out there that hopefully won't put you through this sort of mess again.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Unfortunately, before I had to make the real effort to go out, work normally and be happy whilst doing it. It was a real struggle. I also don’t want to go tutoring later tonight but unfortunately it’s too late to cancel it. I’m so drained from it.

hello, I’m new and today I was fired.

It began last Saturday. It was an event for children, and I have done many before with good results. I’ve also enjoyed them. Last Saturday was horrible and I am feeling very upset, angry and confused— despite it being explained to me what went wrong.

The event was split for six hours for different age and ability ranges. Unfortunately, my colleague and I had to deal with a child that was not suited for the event. The child was feral. He vandalized property to the extent of severely damaging several pieces of equipment and also attacking one of the other kids viciously with equipment. His mother was called several times to handle her child but she didn’t take the necessary steps that I guess you’d expect a reasonable person to do. After refusing to participate, further damages and overall awkwardness that prevented other kids to participate and enjoy the event, my colleague had had enough, so I volunteered to take over. It did not work. I gave the option to play or time out and didn’t get a response. And earns me a kick. I walked away to focus on the other kid who wanted to play and the next thing I knew was that the mother comes on, is in my personal space screaming at me. She would not stop shouting and yelling insults at me. So I snapped and yelled at her to get off. Whilst she’s still going on, with more insults and cussing at me.

I know that it’s not the best response to give, and after talking about it by saying this, I gave her ammunition to Have something tangible to complain about. But her behavior was also wrong. And while I’ve spoken about this to explore what went wrong and learning from it and stuff, I don’t understand what gives someone the right to speak to someone (me in this case) like that when it all could have been avoided if she had parented properly and removed her kid.

The rest of the hour went by and then that section was finished. I was organizing for the next lot when this man approached me, asked to speak to me, took me aside and blocked me into a corner before identifying himself as the father. I got pretty much the same that his wife gave me except more personally directed insults and giving me the *f word. Whilst backing me into a corner and jabbing his finger violently in my face. When I told him not to swear at me, he said that he could do whatever he wanted. I was fearful that he was going to hit me. Anyway, another father approached and thanked me for the time I spent with his child, that his child enjoyed it...and that broke me. I cried and ran away but was not allowed to leave to go home until the end of the event.

Since then I’ve gone through everything. Analyzing everything over and over. And all who I’ve spoken with think the parents were out of order. We spent almost two hours focusing on one child when there were several more during that slot. Despite the violence to others and property, and the parental refusal to do anything about it. And yet, today it seems that the place of work supports abuse of it staff.

I have worked with difficult parents and children before and I have never had any issues or verbal abuse and physical intimidation before last weekend. I’ve worked with on the spectrum kids and various other disabilities and needs. Whilst it can be trying at times, I’ve learnt to be diplomatic. I thought so anyway...

So I have been fired. Because of what happened. I don’t know if there was a written complaint but anyway, I’m no longer allowed to do these events. Despite the previous ones that went well.... so I’m confused. I’m upset. I’m angry. And I’ve hurt myself because of it, I feel such a deep feeling of depression in me.

I’ve always tried to do my best in anything I do. My boss has purposefully chosen to ignore all the good things and has focused on one. I could have been as bad as them, but all I did was give the kid a time out. Why am I being punished when it is these people who are wrong? Why is it okay to verbally abuse someone? Fortunately my family (dad and sibling) are just as angry but I’ve been told to just let it go and take it as a learning experience. But I can’t get over this. I had a meltdown Saturday evening when I got back home and have been emotionally unstable since. And this firing is just another knock. I’m done with people.

Thank you for reading this long post/rant.

-moomin
Realize this isn't your fault. And that bad things happen to good people. Sounds like you've got support, remember your tools, and do what you have to to get through this.

For what it is worth, that father crossed the line BIG time. Backing you into a corner and acting as he did qualifies as forcible detainment and that combined with his other actions would equate to assault in my view. If I had witnessed this I would have reported it.

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like it was done unfairly which makes it even worse. I wish you all the best in the future, you will get another position.

Mattymat, people are getting a million times worse. They should be ashamed of themselves for being out of control bullies to people that can’t fight back. When you are employed, you have to be nice to the customers. So they are easily victimized and the bullies should be ashamed of their chicken s#1t selves.

I’m currently trying to take everything by the moment. Im hoping that today will be a little better. My sibling has already invited...insisted actually...that we are going to go out on Saturday as their treat.

I’m currently trying to take everything by the moment. Im hoping that today will be a little better. My sibling has already invited...insisted actually...that we are going to go out on Saturday as their treat.

Sounds good to me :) Recover first, rebuild after ;)

Your mistake was confronting a customer/whatever she was. It doesn't matter that she is wrong, this is not a personal situation but a professional one. Whatever you say will reflect on the company or person that you work for.

The only thing to do in that situation is to leave it to someone that has the authority to have these people removed from the event. Bothering with them as a person without that authority is a sure-fire way to get fired.

New Threads

Top Bottom