• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have been fired

Moomin

“My servants never die!”
hello, I’m new and today I was fired.

It began last Saturday. It was an event for children, and I have done many before with good results. I’ve also enjoyed them. Last Saturday was horrible and I am feeling very upset, angry and confused— despite it being explained to me what went wrong.

The event was split for six hours for different age and ability ranges. Unfortunately, my colleague and I had to deal with a child that was not suited for the event. The child was feral. He vandalized property to the extent of severely damaging several pieces of equipment and also attacking one of the other kids viciously with equipment. His mother was called several times to handle her child but she didn’t take the necessary steps that I guess you’d expect a reasonable person to do. After refusing to participate, further damages and overall awkwardness that prevented other kids to participate and enjoy the event, my colleague had had enough, so I volunteered to take over. It did not work. I gave the option to play or time out and didn’t get a response. And earns me a kick. I walked away to focus on the other kid who wanted to play and the next thing I knew was that the mother comes on, is in my personal space screaming at me. She would not stop shouting and yelling insults at me. So I snapped and yelled at her to get off. Whilst she’s still going on, with more insults and cussing at me.

I know that it’s not the best response to give, and after talking about it by saying this, I gave her ammunition to Have something tangible to complain about. But her behavior was also wrong. And while I’ve spoken about this to explore what went wrong and learning from it and stuff, I don’t understand what gives someone the right to speak to someone (me in this case) like that when it all could have been avoided if she had parented properly and removed her kid.

The rest of the hour went by and then that section was finished. I was organizing for the next lot when this man approached me, asked to speak to me, took me aside and blocked me into a corner before identifying himself as the father. I got pretty much the same that his wife gave me except more personally directed insults and giving me the *f word. Whilst backing me into a corner and jabbing his finger violently in my face. When I told him not to swear at me, he said that he could do whatever he wanted. I was fearful that he was going to hit me. Anyway, another father approached and thanked me for the time I spent with his child, that his child enjoyed it...and that broke me. I cried and ran away but was not allowed to leave to go home until the end of the event.

Since then I’ve gone through everything. Analyzing everything over and over. And all who I’ve spoken with think the parents were out of order. We spent almost two hours focusing on one child when there were several more during that slot. Despite the violence to others and property, and the parental refusal to do anything about it. And yet, today it seems that the place of work supports abuse of it staff.

I have worked with difficult parents and children before and I have never had any issues or verbal abuse and physical intimidation before last weekend. I’ve worked with on the spectrum kids and various other disabilities and needs. Whilst it can be trying at times, I’ve learnt to be diplomatic. I thought so anyway...

So I have been fired. Because of what happened. I don’t know if there was a written complaint but anyway, I’m no longer allowed to do these events. Despite the previous ones that went well.... so I’m confused. I’m upset. I’m angry. And I’ve hurt myself because of it, I feel such a deep feeling of depression in me.

I’ve always tried to do my best in anything I do. My boss has purposefully chosen to ignore all the good things and has focused on one. I could have been as bad as them, but all I did was give the kid a time out. Why am I being punished when it is these people who are wrong? Why is it okay to verbally abuse someone? Fortunately my family (dad and sibling) are just as angry but I’ve been told to just let it go and take it as a learning experience. But I can’t get over this. I had a meltdown Saturday evening when I got back home and have been emotionally unstable since. And this firing is just another knock. I’m done with people.

Thank you for reading this long post/rant.

-moomin

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

I'm sorry you had that happen to you, there will always be entitled parents, horrible parents, and kids whose parents don't know how to parent them as well. It would seem the child needs therapy or something, otherwise there's a good chance he'll have some issues with the law when he's older.

Doubly crappy. To get kid from hell and mr & mrs satan and then no support from boss or staff. Unless you can appeal the decision (if you even want to) it is a live and learn situation. Maybe try to get supervisor/boss involved in problems earlier rather then take abuse yourself. Pushing problems up the chain is a time honored way to get the monkey off your back.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

I'm sorry you had that happen to you, there will always be entitled parents, horrible parents, and kids whose parents don't know how to parent them as well. It would seem the child needs therapy or something, otherwise there's a good chance he'll have some issues with the law when he's older.
Thank you! Funny, that’s what my Sibling said! I know, that’s the logical bit of me saying the same. I mean, afterward my meltdown and the cutting, I had made the decision that I wasn’t going to do it anymore anyway but I keep analyzing it, I didn’t think that my boss would just fire me over it. I would understand why if I had physically attacked on every of them, cussed them or well pretty much did what they did to me. Horrible people. I think what upsets me the most is that I’ve always thought that there was good in people. That it’s worth standing up for yourself too..but I guess that’s incredibly naive of me. I should just taken it.

At least I’m fired so I won’t have to go back. And I guess my boss fired me Because it embarrassed him...

Doubly crappy. To get kid from hell and mr & mrs satan and then no support from boss or staff. Unless you can appeal the decision (if you even want to) it is a live and learn situation. Maybe try to get supervisor/boss involved in problems earlier rather then take abuse yourself. Pushing problems up the chain is a time honored way to get the monkey off your back.
Thank you! Yeah, my dad said the same thing about the chain of command. Although my colleague was higher than me...

It’s a sucky situation l it could have been dealt with before it got to a further stage. But I guess it’s easier to punish me for it.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand people. But I’m trying to take it as a learning experience, although right now it doesn’t feel like one.

Welcome, and I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have no advice to offer, all I can do is echo the message that it's a horrible, horrible thing that you should not have had to deal with....sometimes people suck.

Welcome, and I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have no advice to offer, all I can do is echo the message that it's a horrible, horrible thing that you should not have had to deal with....sometimes people suck.

No worries! Thank you for taking the time to respond.It eases me greatly to know that the situation and people sucked. I really hope I don’t have this again too soon. I don’t think I’d be an to cope.

I have had the same type of experience, with pretty much the same reaction as you. I'm so sorry that happened to you. We try our best, and when we make a mistake, we are ripped apart by people who seemingly enjoy it. Those people have no empathy. I'm continually amazed that they aren't ashamed by their inhumanity. To be human is to make mistakes, it's how we learn. To be on the spectrum, and to go through that trauma is devastating. I know it was for me. I truly hope you recover from this horrendous event. Take care.

The kid’s parents obviously talked to your boss and he made the decision to fire you rather than have to deal with those two jerks.
Of course it is all going to happen again to the next employee.
I don’t see that you did anything wrong, in fact you kept the children safe in a dangerous situation.
The world sucks sometimes.

I guess the only way I could conceive of you having been at fault in anyway would have to be what you said that "gave her something tangible to complain about". Nothing else you did was wrong in any way, and I'm not saying what you said was wrong either, because I don't know what you said. I doubt you said any of the awful things I'm thinking up as examples of things that would mean you did something wrong, because they're pretty ridiculous. But I don't know. :eek:

But if you didn't say anything wildly offensive, then I'm not sure if this even is a learning experience, unless you didn't know ****** people or cowards existed. Maybe it's just a crappy experience. A stupid one. A pointlessly traumatic and awful one, because some people are awful and so terrified of facing and dealing with the problems in their child that they'd instead show us why the child has problems in the first place by behaving like language-advanced gorillas.

I'm sorry it happened! I hate when stuff happens.

I worked as a so called knowledge worker for almost 25 years. Most of those jobs were working customer service/technical support/configuration management. Saying anything, other than what was “on script”, was enough to get you fired. It’s bad enough you get abuse by a customer, and have to “suck it up, buttercup!” I’m assuming there was no documentation of what transpired, else I would have brought this up at an unemployment appeal. It won’t get your job back, but it would make the state aware of the “bad faith” practiced by this firm.

A horrible situation you were in and these parents should never have been permitted to act toward you as they did. I hope you can get over it soon. I've had things happen to me at work that 20 years later, if I'm reminded I still get just as upset and still want to go tell them they were wrong. Can you file for unemployment? And keep in mind that they always deny you at first hoping you'll just drop it. So you appeal and win. Even with this child you were placed in a situation that was unsafe. People can be absolutely nuts!

I have had the same type of experience, with pretty much the same reaction as you. I'm so sorry that happened to you. We try our best, and when we make a mistake, we are ripped apart by people who seemingly enjoy it. Those people have no empathy. I'm continually amazed that they aren't ashamed by their inhumanity. To be human is to make mistakes, it's how we learn. To be on the spectrum, and to go through that trauma is devastating. I know it was for me. I truly hope you recover from this horrendous event. Take care.

I’m sorry that you have had this experience too. It would have been okay if the parents had spoken to me like normal people do. Instead SHE came, got into my face and it descended from there. I am so pleased that I did not cuss or insult. I am not pleased that I let her get at me for her to provoke the reaction of me yelling her . I’m devastated. My arm is a testament to how I’m feeling, and I’ve been told to let it go. I’m honestly trying to but then I mull over it again when I’m having a pause. It’s going to take a while to truly not care about this.

The kid’s parents obviously talked to your boss and he made the decision to fire you rather than have to deal with those two jerks.
Of course it is all going to happen again to the next employee.
I don’t see that you did anything wrong, in fact you kept the children safe in a dangerous situation.
The world sucks sometimes.

Yes. I’m inclined to believe that too. I feel that this situation has besmirched my morals. I’m pretty strong on doing right. I strive very hard to be good, and instead this has happened. My dad feels that this is an OTT reaction. It’s not like I physically beat the kid because then I’d understand why. I’d also feel very guilty about this but all I feel is sad, anger and confusion.

It’s okay to abuse people?
It’s okay to have dangerously behavior at the risk of others as long as money is being made?

I guess the only way I could conceive of you having been at fault in anyway would have to be what you said that "gave her something tangible to complain about". Nothing else you did was wrong in any way, and I'm not saying what you said was wrong either, because I don't know what you said. I doubt you said any of the awful things I'm thinking up as examples of things that would mean you did something wrong, because they're pretty ridiculous. But I don't know. :eek:

But if you didn't say anything wildly offensive, then I'm not sure if this even is a learning experience, unless you didn't know nasty people or cowards existed. Maybe it's just a crappy experience. A stupid one. A pointlessly traumatic and awful one, because some people are awful and so terrified of facing and dealing with the problems in their child that they'd instead show us why the child has problems in the first place by behaving like language-advanced gorillas.

I'm sorry it happened! I hate when stuff happens.
Yes, I too would understand if I had done something. Heck, I’d even get it if I had hit the kid. My dad (and sibling actually) don’t hold back on the constructive criticism when I do something wrong. I remember conversations, especially during my many over analyzing, and yeah it’s only because I yelled at her to get off because she wouldn’t even let me defend myself, she just kept going on and on with insults *is xenophobic comments insults? and she acts like the almost two hours of her child’s behavior and staff efforts didn’t happen ......? And yes, I know that I shouldn’t have snapped, I really do. But everything else...

I’m probably dumb enough to believe that nasty adults didn’t really exist. Having only experienced nasty kids during bullying, I had hoped that maturity would improve behavior, that there was good in people....etc.

Now, I’ve obviously come to the conclusion that I’m naive and that I have to be wary from now on.

And all because two people are lacking in morals and parenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked as a so called knowledge worker for almost 25 years. Most of those jobs were working customer service/technical support/configuration management. Saying anything, other than what was “on script”, was enough to get you fired. It’s bad enough you get abuse by a customer, and have to “suck it up, buttercup!” I’m assuming there was no documentation of what transpired, else I would have brought this up at an unemployment appeal. It won’t get your job back, but it would make the state aware of the “bad faith” practiced by this firm.
Unfortunately not. I think, like another poster mentioned, that the only form of documentation is the parents “complaint “ email. I haven’t even had chance to tell what happened myself, and my colleague is like “I’m unhappy here too, I want to leave but now I’m on my own doing these events”. I’m not sure how helpful that is? And to be honest, after the way it was handled by the boss and how two people thought that it’s acceptable to do what they did, I don’t want to work with a business that thinks that any abuse for staff is ok. I expected better. I thought that the boss was reasonably fair but I’m proven wrong yet again.

What makes it okay to have someone hurl abuse at you, but you can’t stand up to it? Where’s the respect? Humanity? Good manners? It validates their behavior. I mean, as a kid I had angry outbursts, and that was always punished. I’d be an issue if my behavior had been validated.

A horrible situation you were in and these parents should never have been permitted to act toward you as they did. I hope you can get over it soon. I've had things happen to me at work that 20 years later, if I'm reminded I still get just as upset and still want to go tell them they were wrong. Can you file for unemployment? And keep in mind that they always deny you at first hoping you'll just drop it. So you appeal and win. Even with this child you were placed in a situation that was unsafe. People can be absolutely nuts!
I hope so too! I feel like a Justice has been denied. I feel like I’ve been punished for their bad parenting (lack of parenting and slapped in the face for the effort that was tried, I feel like I’ve been thrown out because my boss has chosen to ignore all the other good events to appease this.

Fortunately, like it’s been pointed out to me, I do have other things I can do in the meantime. Like tutoring, and I should really double down on it now that I have more hours. And it does give me a reason to look fo something more suitable and equal to my skills.

It’s just a blow. Especially when I’m factoring in how confused I am that it’s apparently acceptable behavior to abuse but I can’t stand up for myself? Although even then, I really didn’t have much of an opportunity to try to do it diplomatically...

It really is a learning experience, but it doesn’t feel like one.

Sorry to hear such an unjust tale, but even sorrier to observe that it's far from unusual.
Years ago whilst working in a retail position I had a customer who had paid a token deposit but had not settled their bill. I was unable to release the goods without payment and told them so, politely and according to company guidelines. He blew his top and held me up against the wall by my throat. I struggled to pry his fingers off and failed. A couple of colleagues managed to pull him off and he was finally ejected and the police called (no legal action was taken though). A couple of weeks later I was given a final written warning for "allowing the customer to escalate the situation" and "participating in a violent incident". I protested that I was the victim on both counts. I had followed company procedure and been physically attacked because of it. I hadn't fought back physically or even with strong language! I was told the decision was final and there would be no discussion. Needless to say I was out of there as soon as I found alternative employment.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that life sometimes sucks bigtime and can be tremendously unfair. The odds can be stacked against you no matter how morally correct you are. It can often be the only option left is to swallow it in the knowledge that you have the moral, if not the legal high ground, and move on. I hope you come to terms with this soon and find a new job that will value and protect you better :)

Wow, I’m sorry that it happened to you. How disgusting!

You’d think that there would be protection for employees but it obviously seems to not be the case...

In some ways I’m relieved that situations have happened to others, I’m not alone in this and i should not take it personally. Although that’s easier said than done.

This really sucks. You were abused, and the other members of staff didn't support or defend you. It sounds like a scapegoat has been made of you and the boss/supervisor 'sacrified' you in order to save face... or not lose a client. What kind of organisation organises these events, is it a school? Is it a private school or institution? Schools are businesses and are all about public relations and profit, not always about what is right and wrong or fair. I am a private language tutor and used to work in a school, but I couldn't handle the environment and now I work freelance with individuals, it's better that way. I don't want to get involved with office/staff petty politics or have to deal with parents without the support and backup of the other staff.

New Threads

Top Bottom