• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have an idea for science fiction

Keith

How about a world one century from now where scientists have created a time window where they can see the past but not interact with it? Through this archaeologists and historians can provide a dramatically increasingly more accurate depiction and understanding of the past and trial results can be presented a lot more accurately. This also avoids the time travel paradox.

Isn't this essentially what history books do?

And if anything; how many times have mankind not learned from past mistakes?

Though it would make up for more accurate reports on history rather than eyewitness reports of people who experienced trauma and such and are recalling it at an old age (First and Second world war come to mind)./

It would help make history books more accurate by providing a visual, animate view of the actual past.

Oh, I'm not argueing about that. But I'm doubtful that it would actually make for better decision making in the long run. Even with the history records we have now, some mistakes still get made. If we'd learn, we wouldn't have a single war.

How about a world one century from now where scientists have created a time window where they can see the past but not interact with it? Through this archaeologists and historians can provide a dramatically increasingly more accurate depiction and understanding of the past and trial results can be presented a lot more accurately. This also avoids the time travel paradox.

This sounds pretty cool for a futuristic history class in school :D

What I meant is:

1) Historians and archaeology would have more accurate historical data
2) Trials would be able to use the portal to determine what actually happened

What I meant is:

Trials would be able to use the portal to determine what actually happened

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where Lt. Commander Ben Finney set up Captain Kirk by falsifying the computer account of Finney's supposed death as a result of the captain's actions. Of course they figure out that Kirk was framed.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen "Minority Report"? Technology didn't work out in proving guilt and innocence in that case either. :p

Art imitating future life? Maybe. Maybe not. ;)

Last edited:
What about privacy? People are people, you just know that it will be used by horny students and lonely professors to watch Cleopatra seducing Julius Caesar, or something alike. :)
Is there some way to prevent the machine from working? Can I seal my house with lead lining or so, so I can still take a shower without feeling watched?

What about privacy? People are people, you just know that it will be used by horny students and lonely professors to watch Cleopatra seducing Julius Caesar, or something alike. :)
Is there some way to prevent the machine from working? Can I seal my house with lead lining or so, so I can still take a shower without feeling watched?

Unfortunately, any moment anywhere anytime would be viewable.

Unfortunately, any moment anywhere anytime would be viewable.
Hmm, in that case I shall turn of the lights. Ha! Perverts of the future, I shall thwart your voyeuristic scheming, even if it means constantly bumping into stuff.

Hmm, in that case I shall turn of the lights. Ha! Perverts of the future, I shall thwart your voyeuristic scheming, even if it means constantly bumping into stuff.
Lawl! That struck me as particularly funny for some reason. My blood sugar must be low. Better eat.

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm going to, anyway. Isn't the idea of science fiction to entertain? There has to be conflict, story arcs, have to be characters we care about. As long as we're imagining things, time travel is so much more amenable to an engaging work of fiction.

This idea would make a great SNL skit though...

"Behold! My new invention! The past-peeker!!!!!!"
"Ohhh we can travel back and forward in time!"
"Ummm no, you can't travel into the future....."
"But I can still walk the streets of London in 1670?"
"Well, no....but....you can LOOK AT THEM!!!!!"
"So, I can see into the future, then?"
"Look, you can see the past, OK?"

Crowd dissipates, except for pervert from back of crowd, who conspires with inventor in a whisper,
"I can watch anything, anywhere from the past, without being detected?"
(uneasily) "Ummm, yes...?"

Pervert looks exultant. Inventor defeated as he takes the $20 offered.

Ooh, I like it. I have always wanted to be a fly on the wall in history, and the time travel paradox has always bugged me. Maybe they could travel on either end - backwards to the past and forwards to the future, too.

What would you do with it, plot-wise?

New Threads

Top Bottom