• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate isolation.

I decided to go to meetup.com to see what was in my town on weekends. I found a couple of possibilities that I can budget an Uber lift to and from. I also will make sure that I start every weekend with at least $50 of cash in my wallet so I can afford to go out and do things other than the gym from now on.

Oy! Quit whining! (I say this with love. It's the same thing I'd say a child, if they complained over and over with "I should just..." suggestions)

I'm in a damned wheelchair, and I make less than $1,000 a month.

You don't need substances. Go take a walk or something. Take up a hobby that uses up some of your nervous energy.

Write. Do art. Learn to knit. Cook. Paint the walls. Fix something. Volunteer at a church homeless feed.

Get a bicycle. Eat chocolate.

You can do this!

You Skook 'em, Chuck!

We live not too far from a place in Washington called "Skookumchuck". So whenever we want to encourage each other, we say "You Skook 'em, Chuck!"

Last edited:
I would not want to live near a cemetery if the zombie apocalypse starts.
I used to live next to an old catholic cemetery. It is as old as Oregon. At night I'd look down and sometimes see shadows moving across the ground. They were probably the shadows of owls, bats, or raccoons in the trees, but it sure spooked me out.

Best neighbors you could ask for though. Other than moonlight and the light from my house, it was pitch black and silent at night. No loud parties, no litter. Couldn't ask for better neighbors.

Best neighbors you could ask for though. Other than moonlight and the light from my house, it was pitch black and silent at night. No loud parties, no litter. Couldn't ask for better neighbors.
I have seen enough horror movies where kids break into the cemetery to drink beer, smoke weed and have sex in the middle of the night, only to awaken an ultimate evil that ends up taking over the rest of the town.

I know this will sound cliche, but some of this is up to attitude and such.

I live in the middle of bloody nowhere. There’s less around me than even what @tree described. Let’s see… there’s a farm (and by “farm” I mean “unending corn”), a road nobody uses that doesn’t really go anywhere, a small forest preserve, and this sorta barn thing that’s practically crumbling. That’s it. Even a basic store ain’t so easy to get to... that’s quite some distance away. “Edge of civilization and endless grass” is how I usually describe the location of the house.

Yet even I can find ways to not be isolated if I so choose. Even I can find things to do that dont involve sitting in the house.

And yes, I know, there’s a tendency to say something like “but I cant drive” or whatever, but come on… we live in a hyper-connected world. That’s not an excuse anymore.

There are options available to you beyond just what you list. But it’s up to YOU to find them. We cant do it for you.

Before that, though, you should probably stop telling yourself how totally stuck you perceive yourself to be. I say it all the time: The moment you say “I cant” is the moment you’ve lost the fight.

You won the fight against alcoholism. Considering that achievement, I think you can handle finding a solution to this particular problem.

You are getting some good advice on here.
I have a hard time looking at online socialization as the equivalent to regular old hanging-out-with-friends: been lonely for a long time, & though online chatting with people can feel less lonely, it still settles in deep.
Bicycling helped. It's a low-cost way to go anywhere in town you want, and you can probably ride farther than you think.

I found a couple of local movie night groups, a couple of local mixed gender book clubs, and a farmers market I can walk to every Saturday during the summer, I think I am set for a short while.

Every weekend in a house in an area without public transit on weekends, the only places nearby are restaurants, bars and shopping, and a gym. Not much to do around here if I do not have cash on hand. And all my local friends are with their families on the weekends, so I can forget about having visitors.

I hate this with every fiber of my being. I am resentful. I feel like buying a case of beer just to numb this out a bit. I know that will not help.

Television and Internet can only do so much for this.
Don't know if this will help, but have you thought of maybe starting a project to build on on those days that you can look forward to. Something you enjoy like gaming? Maybe starting a channel that connects you to other gamers. I'm alone most of the time and like it, but I wish I could offer some company. You seem like a good person.

I spent last Saturday night at a jazz bar, paid a cover charge, got a soft drink and an appetizer, and listened to the band play.

I think I may be a regular at that place. It will get me out on Saturday nights.

I found another one of the bars within walking distance has karaoke on weekends, as well.

And yet another one has stand up comedy on occasion.

I no longer have any excuse to stay home on weekend evenings.

I spent last Saturday night at a jazz bar, paid a cover charge, got a soft drink and an appetizer, and listened to the band play.

I think I may be a regular at that place. It will get me out on Saturday nights.

I found another one of the bars within walking distance has karaoke on weekends, as well.

And yet another one has stand up comedy on occasion.

I no longer have any excuse to stay home on weekend evenings.
Kudos to you for going and exploring. I'm gonna follow that example.

I visited a bicycle shop to look around to try to decide how much cash I want to invest into this. A couple thousand bucks can get me something decent to get around town.

i didn't know bikes were that much! must be amazing quality. i bought a bike from walmart and returned it the next day. there must be a science to getting a good bike. i hope you find one you like.

I found a couple of local movie night groups, a couple of local mixed gender book clubs, and a farmers market I can walk to every Saturday during the summer, I think I am set for a short while.
when you describe your ventures and outings, it's like i can imagine going and doing these fun things. like your avatar is the character that goes and does these things. very cool.

I visited a bicycle shop to look around to try to decide how much cash I want to invest into this. A couple thousand bucks can get me something decent to get around town.
That should get you a rather nice bike. My preference and I think a good starting point for you is a good touring bike. The frames are set up for long distance comfort and are usually steel. They are durable. A Fuji or Trek-400 touring bike will probably run around $1,400. I've had both in the past but settled on the Fuji. A handy thing to have is a handlebar bag that clips onto a mount that is easily removable for things like phone and keys. You will need to get a helmet, floor pump, water bottle cage(s) and a decent lock. I think both will come with a rear rack. The disk brakes on the Fuji do not fade in wet conditions. Both are known for quality components in their build and excellent frames.

I currently ride a tadpole recumbent trike (two 20" wheels in front, a single 26" drive wheel in back) The most cost effective model is one that my spouse uses, the CatTrike 559, but that is over your budget. Mine is an ICE Sprint. These are fun to ride but their wide stance and low position is not good for urban streets. Plus they are generally slower uphill as you do not have weight working for you.

Have fun.

New Threads

Top Bottom