• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate isolation.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Every weekend in a house in an area without public transit on weekends, the only places nearby are restaurants, bars and shopping, and a gym. Not much to do around here if I do not have cash on hand. And all my local friends are with their families on the weekends, so I can forget about having visitors.

I hate this with every fiber of my being. I am resentful. I feel like buying a case of beer just to numb this out a bit. I know that will not help.

Television and Internet can only do so much for this.

This is a reality for many these days. The high cost of everything has changed how we spend our time. Perhaps find a new passion that isn't too costly.

This is a reality for many these days. The high cost of everything has changed how we spend our time. Perhaps find a new passion that isn't too costly.
Maybe I could buy myself some sedatives and sleep through these damn weekends.

I hate it too. Getting a new hobby is a good idea, i used to spend hours on duolingo during the pandemic

David Blaine spent 44 days in a glass box. I'm sure he hated isolation too by the end of it. I bet
NO Television and NO Internet for 44 days! The man is inhuman.

Well, I know you like cinema. Are the any groups who enjoy cinema discussion that you may get involved in. I do not know why you are mobility impaired, but it sounds like your city is hostile to people without cars. Have you considered alternatives? Bicycling? A small motorcycle? The MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) offers courses. But, I'd start out with a bicycle (though I ride a recumbent, tadpole, trike, now).

I don't know if it is the isolation bothering you instead of loneliness. But, unfortunately many communities are so car-centric that to relieve the latter, one needs transportation. I could understand why you are feeling cabin fever. I feel for you, I honestly do, as one who used to spend Friday nights watching The Muppet Show and quietly getting stoned in hopes of distracting myself from my sense of loneliness.

You have posted about this a few times, but you need to take some action about it. It's no good sitting there moaning and waiting for a decent bus service. You are getting similar replies, and I totally understand this is a difficult issue, but what is your plan? Good parenting of yourself isn't to just express your feelings, but also to take actions to make things better. I know you can do this!

Another great review on Yr review thread, btw. Not gonna watch that one though! Scarey and too much spatter. But sounds very well made.

I feel like buying a case of beer just to numb this out a bit.

Maybe I could buy myself some sedatives and sleep through these damn weekends

I am only new here, but am I right that you are trying to stick to sobriety? I can totally absolutely understand the sentiments of wanting to zone out, numb out, whatever it is where you wake up and the loneliness is over. If I am right and you are wanting to stay sober, then I recognize this is the moment – this is the moment where you need to find what will replace your drug of choice. I struggle with this too, so I have no advice, but I think this is what people are talking about when they say that you have to find something to replace your addictions. You know these things are a hopeless path. I know that, too.

@Metalhead
"...the only places nearby are restaurants, bars and shopping, and a gym."

Those are in walking distance?

Places nearby me are a marsh, a pond, 3 horses on one side of the road,
5 horses on the other side of the road, the yak farm, a Christmas tree farm,
the cemetery, the township hall, another pond that is dignified by being
called a lake.

I just got home from the gym. I figured I may as well do something to get endorphins going.

I spend an hour on a treadmill with an incline and fifteen minutes in the steam room.

I should do this more often.

@Metalhead
"...the only places nearby are restaurants, bars and shopping, and a gym."

Those are in walking distance?

Places nearby me are a marsh, a pond, 3 horses on one side of the road,
5 horses on the other side of the road, the yak farm, a Christmas tree farm,
the cemetery, the township hall.
I would not want to live near a cemetery if the zombie apocalypse starts.

@Metalhead

I think they'd probably head on in to town.
Zombies are big hikers aren't they?
*The Walking Dead.*

Pickings would be better where the population
is denser. Nearest WalMart is 35 miles away....

@Metalhead

I think they'd probably head on in to town.
Zombies are big hikers aren't they?
*The Walking Dead.*

Pickings would be better where the population
is denser. Nearest WalMart is 35 miles away....
If zombies ever attacked a WalMart, they would decay due to the starvation from the lack of brains.

I feel like I have lost all motivation and all interest in all hobbies. I feel like I want to fall asleep and never wake up again.

Maybe I could buy myself some sedatives and sleep through these damn weekends.

I like reading your posts. I saw this and I wondered if you have tried VR (virtual reality). I learned about it on Aspie Central from someone and it is the most amazing thing I have ever done. I hope you will try it.

It is not possible to describe it but I will try a bit. You put on the headset and everything you see is in three dimensions so immediately it is like you are not in your room any more. I play lots of games but one of my favorite programs let me go to a desert lake with rocks and cliffs around it and birds in the sky. I could go there, cross the water and lay on the beach looking up. No people any where, very peaceful and safe. You can press a button and it will change into night. Wonderful.

I mention VR because it is wonderful for making time go away but always it is like going to real places. I think you could like it. There are many different VR headsets to get and some new ones coming. I have a Valve Index but it is very expensive and requires an expensive fast PC (computer).

At the store website for the Quest 2, they have refurbished headsets for $249 and they do not need anything to work, no PC. Also there was amazing exercise programs in VR. Powerbeats is incredible, with an incredible view while you punch at balls while you are outer space. You can play it slow or faster.

Anyway, I thought VR might help you. Oh and I think it's really neat you have friends you see in person, I think a lot of people do not.

I do not want to live like this.

You mean you do not want to live in isolation no matter how you could pass the time? I think you were making that clear in your title and your post and I was not careful enough to understand. I apologize.

I like reading your posts. I saw this and I wondered if you have tried VR (virtual reality). I learned about it on Aspie Central from someone and it is the most amazing thing I have ever done. I hope you will try it.

It is not possible to describe it but I will try a bit. You put on the headset and everything you see is in three dimensions so immediately it is like you are not in your room any more. I play lots of games but one of my favorite programs let me go to a desert lake with rocks and cliffs around it and birds in the sky. I could go there, cross the water and lay on the beach looking up. No people any where, very peaceful and safe. You can press a button and it will change into night. Wonderful.

I mention VR because it is wonderful for making time go away but always it is like going to real places. I think you could like it. There are many different VR headsets to get and some new ones coming. I have a Valve Index but it is very expensive and requires an expensive fast PC (computer).

At the store website for the Quest 2, they have refurbished headsets for $249 and they do not need anything to work, no PC. Also there was amazing exercise programs in VR. Powerbeats is incredible, with an incredible view while you punch at balls while you are outer space. You can play it slow or faster.

Anyway, I thought VR might help you. Oh and I think it's really neat you have friends you see in person, I think a lot of people do not.

I agree. VR has potential for opening new worlds. I don’t think this applies here (??), but the benefits of VR for some people with physical disabilities and limited mobility are really huge.

I’m inclined to think anything that gets you physically active and moving around is likely beneficial, even as a stepping stone toward something outside the home.

New Threads

Top Bottom