• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday

aspieworldcitizen

Hey all,

I had to put one of my cats to sleep yesterday, and I feel absolutely horrible. I was already pretty depressed to begin with, so this has really thrown me over the edge. I loved that little furrball so much, and I don't feel it was yet her time to go :-( Like many of you, I've had trouble making friends throughout my life, so animals have always played a particularly special role in my life. My husband keeps telling me I need to focus on him and our cat Jasper, but it is just so hard. The pain is so strong, it makes me not want to keep going. I've lost animals before, but this is the first one I've had to put one to sleep, and this also the closest animal I've ever had. I'm in so much pain, I can't take it any more.

Hey Aspie World Citizen,

I am so so sorry :( I have two dogs, and they mean the world to me. Time will dull the pain, but in the meantime please know I'm thinking of you.

If you want a hug, then this hug is for you ((((Aspie World Citizen)))) and if you don't like hugs, then just ignore it.

Take care

Oh, no . . . I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. These things are never easy, but you'll pull through. Whenever I get depressed, I write down my feelings so they're not pent up inside. Maybe it would help you to write down how you feel.

Sorry to hear your sad news - in time it will feel better. In the mean time take care of yourself or better still let your husband take care of you

Total bummer aspieworldcitizen. The last cat I had was the best. Got him at a shelter when my son lived with me. All 3 of us had a great time. The most affectionate 17 lb cat, he was there to help when my parents suddenly died 12 days apart & a year later my best brother died. When I missed my son, da kitty kat was there to sleep on my chest. He knew when I was sick or depressed. Takes some time & what helped me was staying busy. Best of luck

I want to thank everyone for the kind messages. It has been very tough on my husband and I, but I gradually feel like it will be ok. I still have times when I can't believe she's gone forever, and when I just weep uncontrolably, but I figure it just goes to show how much we loved her. We rescued her from a shelter almost 9 years ago, and she had been emaciated and had a number of health problems. We nursed her back to health, and she flourished. We even brought her to Germany with us from the US (we wouldn't have moved if the kitties couldn't come with us). She was the most loving, gentle cat I could've ever asked for. It is even hard for me to type on my laptop right now, because she used to lie on my left arm whenever I did that. We have decided (at least for the time being) not to have children, so she was our daughter. It was also tough that we decided to let the vet burn her body with those of other animals. It feels as if we had just abandonded her there, but we decided that whatever money it would cost to cremate her ourselves or bury her would be better spent in donating it to a shelter. After all, she's already gone, and that is just a body. She came from a shelter, and she would have wanted us to help other kitties like her. Next week we'll look into maybe getting another cat that is Jasper's age (Jasper is our other cat) so she has a companion. I'm sure she misses her sister, and it is so hard not to be able to explain it to her, so we're just showering her with lots of love. Anyhow, thanks again everyone.

Hey all,

I had to put one of my cats to sleep yesterday, and I feel absolutely horrible. I was already pretty depressed to begin with, so this has really thrown me over the edge. I loved that little furrball so much, and I don't feel it was yet her time to go :-( Like many of you, I've had trouble making friends throughout my life, so animals have always played a particularly special role in my life. My husband keeps telling me I need to focus on him and our cat Jasper, but it is just so hard. The pain is so strong, it makes me not want to keep going. I've lost animals before, but this is the first one I've had to put one to sleep, and this also the closest animal I've ever had. I'm in so much pain, I can't take it any more.

i hate this. i had to put a cat to sleep and one more died. it was absolutely terrible. first the vet said she's going to die, and then she ran away for almost two and a half months and i was sure she was dead, and then she arrived, and then she died over two months later. it's like i lost her and got her back and lost her again. so, at first i was going crazy. i walked toward the grocery store and suddently forgot where i was and what i was doing there and how to get home, and i just stood in the middle of the street and stared, and it took me a few minutes to get back to reality. i lost wieght, couldnt eat, couldnt sleep, but because i lost and got back and lost again, and then had to put the other one to sleep as well, i kinda got numb, and that helped me go to go on.
i hate it when people say, oh, it's just a cat/dog, just buy another one. i grieved very badly and my days went in a fog. i'm real sorry this had to happen to you, but it does get so much better in time. even if at first it feels like someone stuck a knife in your heart. it gets better, it really does. i know someone who lost her fiancee when she was nineteen and a half, and half a year later i saw her walking like a zombie and she didnt recognize me and was staring into space, but a year and a half after it happened, i heard she got married and was expecting a baby. i know people who'd gone through hell on earth evern worse than that and they picked themselves up and kept going. life's a struggle. you just have to keep going.

Hey all,

Very sorry to hear. I so understand. Only the other night I was opening up my bottom dresser drawer and noticed my little Yorkie's blanket and collar. Had to take them out and hold them for bit. A few tears are always shed when I do this a few times a year.

I lost her in 2005...having had to do the same. Take her to the vet one last time. The only thing though, I know in my heart that it was the right thing to do. She was in pain and literally falling apart after 13 wonderful years.

I haven't had a pet since then. Not sure if I ever will.

I have made that sad trip to the vet many times, the last was in October. I had a healthy, happy tortoisehell who was nine years old. Two days before she was due for her annual checkup she developed symptoms of what I thought was an abscessed tooth, so I called and had the appointment moved up. Turned out it was inoperable cancer. We had three wonderful weeks together of saying goodbye and taking long walks, then it was time. So I know what it is like and it doesn't get any easier.

I'm sorry for your loss, Aspieworldcitizen. Last December, I had to have Precious, my 10 year-old cat put to sleep, and it was awful. I just hope that we won't have to do the same for our surviving cats, or our dogs, for a long time yet. I felt exactly the same as you when I lost Precious; she was "my" cat in the sense that I was the one who had the strongest bond with her. I still miss her though, and I still have days when I get upset thinking about her, but I feel privileged to have known and loved her in my life, and to have been a part of hers. I hope that in time you can take comfort in the good memories that you shared with your cat, and appreciate that she had a good life with you and was loved.

New Threads

Top Bottom