• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel really thrown for a loop

I just told her I hoped she was feeling better (she was tired last night), and that I wished her good luck with her DnD game tonight.
Yet you are waiting for a reply. Two possibilities:

1. You're concerned she might be lamenting how no-one cares about her tiredness and DnD games, but would be reassured if she read the message
2. Although you sent the message with genuine good wishes, its real purpose is to gauge where you stand with a relationship and to try and move her to restore the relationship to where it was: to put things back on track to how you would like things to be.

Don't answer. It's the latter. It's not always the case, of course, some people just send stuff the whole time. And they look genuinely confused when challenged. But the majority of the time it's the latter.

And people can read that. People in sales learn strategies on avoiding that being read and get paid handsomely if they are good at it.

The uncertainty of these kinds of situations are really hard, I know. I think it's important to let yourself feel how you feel and find a way to put in self-protective boundaries, even though, it seems she's broken through your defenses and that is disconcerting and scary. An emotionally vulnerable time for you, so say the least.

This hits the nail on the head. But you just need to live with the uncertainty I'm afraid. Because if you try to impose control on the situation to make it predictable, you'll probably find the other person pushing back against that.

You may have too many expectations in too short a time frame. Where you have to accept a good deal of those "uncertainties" for a while..but not likely indefinitely.

When the best you can do is to be attentive, but not aggressive. Giving her time and space needed to work out whatever her issues are, apart from your own.

Yet you are waiting for a reply. Two possibilities:

1. You're concerned she might be lamenting how no-one cares about her tiredness and DnD games, but would be reassured if she read the message
2. Although you sent the message with genuine good wishes, its real purpose is to gauge where you stand with a relationship and to try and move her to restore the relationship to where it was: to put things back on track to how you would like things to be.

Don't answer. It's the latter. It's not always the case, of course, some people just send stuff the whole time. And they look genuinely confused when challenged. But the majority of the time it's the latter.

And people can read that. People in sales learn strategies on avoiding that being read and get paid handsomely if they are good at it.

This hits the nail on the head. But you just need to live with the uncertainty I'm afraid. Because if you try to impose control on the situation to make it predictable, you'll probably find the other person pushing back against that.
1. Others might care, but what’s to say I don’t? I genuinely want to care for someone.

2. Yes, I’m going to try to salvage this if I can, and I see it says it was delivered to her phone, but no response and I think it’ll be a miracle if she does respond.

Everything’s in her court now. I checked in, and nothing more that I can do.

You may have too many expectations in too short a time frame. Where you have to accept a good deal of those "uncertainties" for a while..but not likely indefinitely.

When the best you can do is to be attentive, but not aggressive. Giving her time and space needed to work out whatever her issues are, apart from your own.
I can be patient, but I hope that if she works out her issues, she finds her way back to me somehow.

If she needs to sort out her problems before getting back to me, not a problem.

If not, she’s just like everybody else when I thought she was different.
We can be folks with issues too. When we can only hope that we are given space enough to deal with them successfully. I had my own situation somewhat similar. I really misinterpreted her feelings, partially based on my own patterns of rejection. I still remember when she came back to me, temporarily sidelined by unrelated issues. I had her all wrong...though luckily she had no idea what I was thinking until then.

We can be folks with issues too. When we can only hope that we are given space enough to deal with them successfully. I had my own situation somewhat similar. I really misinterpreted her feelings, partially based on my own patterns of rejection. I still remember when she came back to me, temporarily sidelined by unrelated issues. I had her all wrong...though luckily she had no idea what I was thinking until then.
Remember, I’m in the spectrum myself, and ideally, she’d be patient with me like I’d be willing to for her.

I was shell shocked last night and wasn’t ready or expecting that and it changed my mood the two hours we were together.

My partner was a bit like this at first. I was the one to tell him I had feelings for him (we met through our children being best friends) and he got physical with me and later backed off.
In his case he'd had a lot of relational trauma and he got scared. Things were moving too fast.
He did say he wanted friendship with me.
So initially, after hot steamy attraction. I was friend zoned and I was devastated because I had zero doubts about him. I was so attracted, I quickly became obsessed.

I had to back off. And I respected his boundaries. I accepted the friendship and eventually he was ready to trust that I was a safe enough person to proceed with and now we've been together for 14 years and we're still crazy about each other.

You know what I did? I played the field while waiting for him to be ready for more. I got on with my life. I studied. I worked. I got in great shape. I cried a lot in the shower. I had some shallow meaningless sex with people I wasn't invested in too, which, I'll admit, I'm not super proud of, and I don't particularly condone or1 recommend but I was nursing a broken heart and doing whatever I could to distract myself.

We talked a lot on the phone and we both valued each other as a friend, first and foremost, because both being autistic people we have both had a lot of loneliness, bullying, very hard times and a decided lack of real friends, so the most beautiful thing WAS the fact that, FINALLY, we both found a friend.

It sounds like there is attraction between you, so my advice would be to relax, take it easy, see her as a person, as a friend, don't try to get heavy or rush things.

As a woman you get sick of the fact that, pretty much nearly every man you meet, wants to get in your pants and that's about all he really seems interested in. That's boring because any woman will do. We all have the right body parts. But a guy who sees you? As a person, first and foremost? That's rare. Someone who doesn't have that same Ole obvious agenda? Who is willing to get to know you and see if you really are compatible for a long term relationship? That's worth taking your time for. That's worth pursuing.

I was the one to initiate in my relationship, which, I know, is rare for a female. I'm an unusual woman, to say the least, but, I am in a successful relationship, after a lot of very painful, lonely and hard times and I've got there by being respectful, being patient, letting go of my expectations and attachments time and time again, listening to my heart and honoring myself, doing self care and being proactive in developing myself, being courageous and reaching out and communicating, time and time again, getting over feeling sorry for myself while at the same time, having compassion and understanding for myself, putting myself "out there" and building social confidence and just generally getting on with my life and that made me infinitely more attractive and alluring to the person I wanted to attract.
Neri,
Wow. So, I texted her at 6:00. Not only has there been no response, it appears my message hasn’t even been delivered.

I’m afraid I might be blocked.
I am sorry. I would not text her again. You deserve somebody better

Yes I wish love was straight forward like it seemed to be in the past. I think autistics would have fared better.

In fairness, much of that directness involved betrothal, arranged marriage, and/or people wedding for material gain. In other words, needing a husband because they could not work. The business agreements were direct, but the emotions probably less so.

As an alternative idea: this woman may have been okay with being affectionate on a first date, but scared at being called "sweetheart," and having things defined more as a relationship after just one date. It's possible she feels more contact would only encourage connection at a speed she is uncomfortable with. This situation is not necessarily entirely her fault.

@BewilderedPerson

You need to wait out the emotions. Just give it time.

In the meantime, as I understand it you're waiting on a response. So there's no need to over-think your situation.
Get on with your life, or binge-watch a TV show, or play "Helldivers 2" or "Palworld".

Communication-wise:

You send one "open" text (done?), soliciting a reply, then wait (1-3 days).
If you don't get anything back, send some kind of "sad puppy" looking for a reply, and "start the timer" again.

After that, it's up to you. In general the "right" thing to do is move on, learning what you can from the experience.
But everyone is different.

BTW - we have some kind of ongoing in-forum DM, but I don't know how to use those, (nor even find them, except via the "Alerts" icon, which isn't convenient). The chat still exists though, with some content from me you may not have seen (it may not be relevant now, but I don't know how to delete it).

@Mr. Stevens I suppose thats the danger of casual dating rather than more formal and less 'romantic' and functional arrangements in the past. One party is always likely to develop more feelings and want a deeper connection than the other and gets hurt. Whether prioritising feelings over utility leads to more successful partnerships is not always a given, what with single parenthood and divorce rates at an all time high. I would even say emotions are a pretty unreliable method of judgement to use in choosing a mate, but much more exciting!

Last edited:
As an alternative idea: this woman may have been okay with being affectionate on a first date, but scared at being called "sweetheart," and having things defined more as a relationship after just one date. It's possible she feels more contact would only encourage connection at a speed she is uncomfortable with. This situation is not necessarily entirely her fault.
Thats possible. Maybe I misread her, but if she was scared, she didn’t openly convey it or stop talking to me or reaching out altogether.

Furthermore, if she’s being affectionate like she was on the first date and was reaching out and planning reschedules like she was, plus her saying ‘Smooth’ to one of my texts the day of, my thought process was she was into me.

I can’t read people, especially women when it comes to dating. Furthermore, I’m the type of person who tends to go for stuff, dating or otherwise.

@BewilderedPerson

Don't think too much about this until your emotions are completely balanced and you're ready to analyze the flow of events.

You both made mistakes. You may both still be winding down. 80+ % chance you'll communicate at least once more.. Over 50% that you can reset (I don't have enough data for a good estimate of that).

When you're ready, there's something that you can prepare as part of a "contingency plan".

@BewilderedPerson

Don't think too much about this until your emotions are completely balanced and you're ready to analyze the flow of events.

You both made mistakes. You may both still be winding down. 80+ % chance you'll communicate at least once more.. Over 50% that you can reset (I don't have enough data for a good estimate of that).

When you're ready, there's something that you can prepare as part of a "contingency plan".
Maybe so, and if I did, I own it. Like I said, I took her affection and reaching out to me through messages and texts as interest. Furthermore, I’ve had women call me ‘babe’ and ‘darling’ before we even met, one of who became my first.

Women aren’t all the same, for better or for worse, but I know some women are okay with some things and others aren’t.

I’m not one to have a balance in emotions. But I hope she remembers I’m on the spectrum as well and not just her. I guess I need things spelled out to me.

If you can't read her, maybe she is still checking you out. It takes awhile to know someone. I understand you are on go forward, move ahead, where she maybe in the pause mode, (do l really like them, am l really attracted or do l just need some time with someone because l feel lonely).

If you can't read her, maybe she is still checking you out. It takes awhile to know someone. I understand you are on go forward, move ahead, where she maybe in the pause mode, (do l really like them, am l really attracted or do l just needed a "hug".)
I fear two meetings and that’s it.

If she wants space, she can have it. If she’s in the pause mode, I hope she comes back, but I doubt it.

If she just needed a hug, that doesn’t feel good in hindsight.

It’s not just a her thing, I have trouble reading people in general. I’ve always struggled with social cues. Always.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom