• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel I am too easily worried

Keith

I was on Yahoo Answers and someone asked if the world is going to end next year like the Maya predicted. I answered by asking if he was thinking of 2012 and stating that I have seen no conspiracies regarding his question.

Regardless, I am still nervous about next year now. I was nervous in 2011 and even about Camping's predictions. I know I shouldn't be, but I guess I don't have enough to do to keep it out of my mind.

Even if you worry about it; what are you going to do about it? Can you change it? No? Stop worrying!

Yes, that's easier said than done... but really, unless you can address the problem, worrying doesn't get you anywhere.

I have my fair amount of worries, but I'm trying really hard to solve them one way or another so they stop becoming issues. Yeah... the end of the world as such is something that can't be fixed or adressed (unless; I don't know.. you sign up for a one-way ticket to mars) but really, it controls some peoples life too much.

A while ago on the news I saw a video about refugees in Syria. It was quite inspiring. They reported about 4 million Syrians fleeing the country; however, they did a segment from the capital down in the south of the country and no one was batting an eye. They were partying and chilling out; even while there were mortars being shot. One of the people they asked why he was partying simply said "Why should I worry about this? My life goes on; if I have to stop doing what I'm doing for fear that something bad happens, my life doesn't go anywhere".

And he's quite right with that.

Yes, I know this is an aspie forum and many deal with anxiety, but I say, either see if you can do something about your anxiety or about the situation and stop worrying.

The Mayans didn't even predict any end of the world. They just didn't have the time to carve out an infinite calendar, so they let it end at some random point, probably without giving it much thought.

It's like when Winnie the Pooh thought there were no more days after December 31.

And when it comes to Christians predicting the end times… well, let's just say they don't have a very good track record. If they were right in their predictions, the world has ended at least three times a year since y2k.

The Mayans didn't even predict any end of the world. They just didn't have the time to carve out an infinite calendar, so they let it end at some random point, probably without giving it much thought.

It's like when Winnie the Pooh thought there were no more days after December 31.

And when it comes to Christians predicting the end times… well, let's just say they don't have a very good track record. If they were right in their predictions, the world has ended at least three times a year since y2k.

Agree, although mainstream Christians don't buy that stuff, because Jesus said "no one knows but the Father." The attribute of a false prophet is to be proven false.

I wish we had about 6000 years of newspapers archived. I'd like to know just how many times humans have said the world was going to end during recorded history. Assuming some of the oldest records are at least 6000 year old rocks, anyway.

I battle anxiety all the time. Some little things, some life changing possible. I get it when someone puts a thought in your head. I can tell myself that it is not worth the worry, but I still get anxious.

My solution usually is just as King_Oni said: work towards a solution if there is one. In your case, are your affairs in order? Morbid I know, but might relieve some anxiety. Also, if you do, is it worth it? What if you survive and no one else does? Would you want to stick around?

Please don't think I'm being glib. I totally get this and battle it frequently. I had a friend recently leave this for me in an email.

It made me giggle. Maybe this can lighten your load for a bit? I view it often when I'm in a huff.

I battle anxiety all the time. Some little things, some life changing possible. I get it when someone puts a thought in your head. I can tell myself that it is not worth the worry, but I still get anxious.

My solution usually is just as King_Oni said: work towards a solution if there is one. In your case, are your affairs in order? Morbid I know, but might relieve some anxiety. Also, if you do, is it worth it? What if you survive and no one else does? Would you want to stick around?

Please don't think I'm being glib. I totally get this and battle it frequently. I had a friend recently leave this for me in an email.

It made me giggle. Maybe this can lighten your load for a bit? I view it often when I'm in a huff.

Thanks. I needed that. Reminds me of the SNL character Kenan Thompson played a few years ago where he kept saying "Fix it!".

I once woke up in the night believing I had pancreatic cancer. I spent an hour on my laptop trying to work out where my pancreas was.

My dad always told me that the worrying is always worse than the outcome, which I think is true. The worst things in life hit you when you are not expecting it. I still worry though.

As for the end of the world/conspiracy theories, there is a lot of rumours, lies and imaginative interptretations of the truth out there so you have to tread carefully. And of course if you don't get involved in that side of the internet then it can't cross your worried mind.

Somebody, somewhere, has probably said tomorrow is the end of the world, every single day for thousands of years.

End of World Predictors - 0
Tommorrow - 345,876,399,550

I like the prediction:
Coming Soon, The End of the World As We Know It.
That one is always true. Every time.

I was on Yahoo Answers and someone asked if the world is going to end next year like the Maya predicted. I answered by asking if he was thinking of 2012 and stating that I have seen no conspiracies regarding his question.

Regardless, I am still nervous about next year now. I was nervous in 2011 and even about Camping's predictions. I know I shouldn't be, but I guess I don't have enough to do to keep it out of my mind.

This makes me think of my situation about worry. My problem is that I do not worry enough. I did not make a conscious decision not to worry, it is just the way that I am. It has caused me problems before, like things getting put off way to long. It drives my wife crazy. In fact if it was not for her, I would get a lot less done. I guess this another example of how we not only want each other, but need each other also.

About the Mayan prediction, Ylva is right. They did not predict the end of the world, it was just the end of their calendar. I read a interesting possible reason for this. Maybe whoever gave them that calendar was supposed to come back and give them another one.

I like the prediction:
Coming Soon, The End of the World As We Know It.
That one is always true. Every time.

Very true. The only thing that is for sure, is that everything will change.
Unfortunate for someone who does not like change.

Last edited:
Some day the world will end, nothing lasts forever, not even the universe. But since that is in the very, very distant future, my most immediate problem right now is my own mortality. I worry a lot about having cancer and dying young.

I wonder if there are anyone else who idly wonders if they will live to the evening of the next day - like I do?
There are so many things that may happen any moment with my life or lives of my dearest - that I do not really worry about the destiny of humankind.
Why? I'm just a passanger on this Earth and most likely it will continue to spin long after I die.
I'm ecologically conscious and I try to do my best with the garbage (sadly there are no garbage-sorting facilities near my city and people just bury the garbage in the soil).
What I can do more to prevent 'end of humankind'?
I talk and act to people as honest as I can. I share my thoughts with people who, in my mind, may benefit from exchange of opinions with me - and from whom I can benefit by hearing their opinion.

If ther will be some catastrophe in my lifetime - I keep in mind that human phisiology is very smart and most ways of dying (like suffocating, drowning or freezing) accompanied with dulling of body senses and numbing of mind (I experienced drowning twice - accidently - once I was on the edge of loosing my consiousness).

What are you really afraid of due to the 'end of world'?
Are you afraid of experience of dying?
- Body shock won't let you suffer too much (human phisiology is very smart and mercyful)
Are you afraid of loosing your way you live now?
- Live your life as full as you can afford - whether the world ends ever soon - or keeps going.
Are you afraid of the turnover of everything you know and got used to?
- Welcome to my company - and I think there are plenty people around like us. Let's feel this fear together and do the best from our lives right now.

I think I'm not very empathic but I try to be as supportive as I can :)

Not to mention, the Bible itself says that nobody knows the day or time. So if that's true, there's not really much point in worrying about trying to figure it out. If a Christian says they've figured out when it will happen, if anything that's an indication if when it will NOT happen! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom