• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't want to have Aspergers

I think it's a personal thing really. As AS can affect people differently, and people have different circumstances, it's not really for anyone to judge if a person is unhappy with having AS.

In saying that, if you are concerned about a diagnoses, but have no real issues regarding it, up until now, it may just be nerves from fear of being judged by others, or insecurities about who you are; in which case, it may simply be a matter of learning to accept that it may be a part of who you are, and that you are still the same person you were yesterday; just more informed.

Of course it is not wrong. It is neither wrong to have it, nor to wish you did not. Having Aspergers (or any other difference) causes increased difficulty in an already difficult world. You never hear people that do not have it saying "I wish I had Aspergers".
If you do have it, the only thing you can do is recognize how it makes you different and try to make the adjustments to get to where you want to be, if you can.

So, do you hope you don't have an AS diagnosis? Or do you wish you don't have AS in terms of symptoms?

I ask because here's an interesting thing; A girl with whom I was together, got her AS diagnosis, partially because they couldn't label her with anything else. Granted, she showed AS traits, but it was beyond that. If they didn't give her an AS diagnosis, it wouldn't take away for her behavior... it just meant that she would have to get through life without any support because in this day and age diagnosis seems to be the gatekeeper to try and get on the "right" track again.

I agree Oni, it does seem that in order to achieve anything in life we need a paper trail. Hence the diagnosis, which is the only reason I am chasing my formal diagnosis

I agree Oni, it does seem that in order to achieve anything in life we need a paper trail. Hence the diagnosis, which is the only reason I am chasing my formal diagnosis

Yeah, that's why I got my diagnosis as well. A therapist back in 2011 figured that with the difficulties I had in the past, that a diagnosis would be a safe bet to at least see if there were any services I could get into, so my life wouldn't spiral out of control even more.

I suppose it is what it is. Though I can understand why one needs a diagnosis by a professional. Just saying "I have some issues" doesn't really seem to cut it, heh. On the other hand, I can also understand why some people are reluctant to get a diagnosis. Though I don't think one should think differently of oneself just because of a diagnosis.

After I came to terms with my diagnosis, I was better able to cope with my AS as I began to research it on my own. This was all while working with a professional. What sucks is there is basicly nothing in the states help wise for an adult with AS. Everything is geared towards kids on the spectrum or adults with more profound cases of Autism. That being said, I am still very happy I have my formal diagnosis. Mikie

I tell a different story Steph...being from an older time, no one saw it in me because they did not look for it. I have had no formal diagnosis for autism and did make it in the world without a paper trail for the spectrum...I would not be considered aspie,but definitely autie that has been backed informally by several neuropsychs this past year...
My spectrum ride was faced alone for over 50 years, but I learned to cope on my own. There were some rough parts along the journey,but it led me down some very cool paths that were successful ;)

I know its not a bad thing, but is it wrong to hope I dont have it?
There is nothing wrong about feeling that way. Just remember that regardless the outcome, it's not going to change who you are as a person. You will still be you, with or without a diagnoses.

I have had issues though, the possible symptoms of AS. But I thought it was a whatever thing. I didnt know it was an actual thing. I thought eventually I could just fit in with the rest. But now I see I may need help with social skills.

So, do you hope you don't have an AS diagnosis? Or do you wish you don't have AS in terms of symptoms?

I ask because here's an interesting thing; A girl with whom I was together, got her AS diagnosis, partially because they couldn't label her with anything else. Granted, she showed AS traits, but it was beyond that. If they didn't give her an AS diagnosis, it wouldn't take away for her behavior... it just meant that she would have to get through life without any support because in this day and age diagnosis seems to be the gatekeeper to try and get on the "right" track again.
The symptoms. And yea I dont want to think I need help with social skills. I thought things would just come into place. But no luck yet.

I tell a different story Steph...being from an older time, no one saw it in me because they did not look for it. I have had no formal diagnosis for autism and did make it in the world without a paper trail for the spectrum...I would not be considered aspie,but definitely autie that has been backed informally by several neuropsychs this past year...
My spectrum ride was faced alone for over 50 years, but I learned to cope on my own. There were some rough parts along the journey,but it led me down some very cool paths that were successful ;)
Thats great for you. It takes real effort to do such great things. Me without diagnosis: Anxiety and depression.

Unfortunately it took a long time to realise what I had, I'm 53 now. I thought I was just weird, different. I know better now and I'm happier.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it took a long time to realise what I had, I'm 53 now. I thought I was just weird, different. I know better now and I'm happier.
54...I knew I was different and took advantage of it :)
Now I am just aware of what wired me differently and have many answers to my past. ;)

Thats great for you. It takes real effort to do such great things. Me without diagnosis: Anxiety and depression.
It was not always smooth sailing before knowing how to steer my ship.
Mistakes made have value if something gets learned from them ;)
Try to cool your jets for a while and ride it out until the pros are finished looking at you...a diagnosis might be your comfort zone and be beneficial to your present state. I think added stress would only add to your plight.

I wouldn't think any less of you for not wanting to be an Aspie. I think my biggest issue with it is how sensitive my stomach is in the morning and I would love to be rid of that.

If not being aspie would allow me to trade 50 points of IQ for 50 points of EQ I would very much like to be rid of it, but otherwise I think we are stuck as we are.

I wouldn't think any less of you for not wanting to be an Aspie. I think my biggest issue with it is how sensitive my stomach is in the morning and I would love to be rid of that.
There is hope for you that may come in the form of a change in diet. There is a nutritionist by the name of Karen Hurd in Wisconsin. You can find her on the internet. She has helped hundreds of people and it can all be done on line.
Good luck.

There is hope for you that may come in the form of a change in diet. There is a nutritionist by the name of Karen Hurd in Wisconsin. You can find her on the internet. She has helped hundreds of people and it can all be done on line.
Good luck.
Do you know right off hand if that would help with sensitivity to temperature and wind? Because I have to be careful not to have cooler air hit my back or stomach some days, and if wind blows on my skin it makes me sick too. But if eating a cookie or something before bed would take care of that, I'm all for it. Mornings are awful!

New Threads

Top Bottom