• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong on social media

I am on social media. I have a few rules I follow:

1) I keep it positive. nothing derogatory, insulting, or inappropriate. When I want to post stupid dad-joke commentary on other people's stuff, I show it to my wife first to make sure it's not inappropriate or something that someone can take the wrong way.

2) I don't try to be popular. I don't go seeking more friends. If someone wants to friend me, I will (if my wife says it's someone I know - I often don't recognize the person).

I try to be mindful of why I am posting or commenting - if it's because I think I have something worth saying, I will go ahead. If I find myself caring more about the likes and shares I might get, that's a no-no.

I don't try to be something I'm not. My posts are lame dad jokes or pictures of family or home projects. I'm not going to post incredible photography, new recipes, political insights, or anything else we call "content". That's not me. Who likes my stuff? Only the few people that know me and like me. I'm comfortable with the fact that a lot of people don't get me - some people do and that's enough.

3) I keep it separate from my professional life. I like and get along with most of my co-workers, but I keep my work life and my personal life separate.

4) I use it to reinforce real-life relationships, no to create new ones. I use social media to keep in touch with people I know in real life. Social media can augment real life - it cannot create a life where none exists.

How about if the kind of friends you have/attract might not be very into giving likes while the popular person's friends spend all day scrolling and giving likes to things?

How about if the kind of friends you have/attract might not be very into giving likes while the popular person's friends spend all day scrolling and giving likes to things?

That's me on this forum. Every once in a while, I remember that I need to be giving positive feedback, and I'll go through a bunch of posts and give them likes, agrees, etc.

That's why I like it here so much. You actually get the conversations and thoughts. You actually are getting to talk TO people and they talk back.
I use facebook and get frustrated - it is NOT a 'social' network. And I know some of my 'friends' (my kids, for sure) do not 'follow' me so if I post something I want them to see I have to tag them in it. :) It doesn't hurt my feelings because I know they are not interested in the things I'm interested in. But I want them to keep me on their friends list because I DO follow them and they share things they do with my grandkids and I AM interested in that.
But social? If I ask a question, I may get some likes but no one answers the question. Nothing on facebook makes sense. One friend posts 3-4 things a day on what facebook says she will look like 20 years from now and all these facebook personalities - Christine is a hero and the best person in the world according to facebook. LOL That's stupid and does she really think everyone believes it and going to think she's that wonderful because that's what the facebook roll of the dice landed on? Even worse - does she think it's accurate and factual?
Here you get to know each other and share real things, facebook is an individual fantasy world that people want others to believe. So don't feel bad about the lack of responses there. And it doesn't mean your cousins pictures are better or that your cousin has more people that 'like' him because there's no depth or meaning in facebook.

hmmmm and I thought they were sincere likes. LOL :D:p

Yeah. I sincerely like a lot of stuff here. But my internal reaction isn't always connected to my external action.

It's the same with real world social stuff. I can be absolutely elated and think, "I should smile so people know I'm in a good mood."

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, here's a reminder that Facebook is incredibly broken. Ever since they did away with the simple chronological timeline and the infamous "algorithm" took over, it's been shambles. Posts randomly disappear, even from the pages of the people who posted them. Sometimes my feed randomly erases the last few days for no apparent reason. Many of my friends' posts never, ever appear on my timeline, while a select few blow up my feed. Settings not only don't seem to impact this, but get reverted to defaults every time staff tinkers with the site (this includes privacy settings, FYI).

Point being, it's quite possible that nobody can see your stuff on that particular site. Honestly, you'd probably be happier in the real world than seeking validation on social media, but that's just my 2c, do what you like. If you're trying to build up online presence, at least do the bare minimum and get a profile picture. Every forum/social media site ever has legions of dead profiles/bots with no avatar, so don't make the mistake of getting lumped in with them.

Not sure how I'm gonna cope being in Brighton for 8am for work tomorrow morning. Who agreed to this?!

Obviously YOU agreed to it.

That's a typical tweet that will appear on my timeline. It will just sit there. No-one reply to It because no-one is interested. They might get a like or two from one of their few friends. But so it goes on, day after day of people informing the world or anyone who will listen of their latest movements.

"Hey, I just opened my new YouTube channel"

"Hey, my xxxxing new book gets released tomorrow"

Really? So you need to use an expletive to tell us that?

I liked the concept and format of Twitter in the beginning but later today I will deactivate/delete my account on the basis that it's no better than Farcebook and quite the place for deluded wannabes and the great unwashed.

You might be better of posting on a forum or Facebook group that's focused around one of your special interests.

New Threads

Top Bottom