• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't recall how I stumbled upon this----

Aspieistj

It is a link to a Utube site related to Doc Martin and his Asperger Syndrome. I LOVE Doc Martin and wish the series would make his Aspieness more clear in his character development. The actual episodes tip toe around the British pronunciation of "Us PEAR Gers" as an explanation for his boorish behavior. I wish TV shows containing Aspies as characters did a little more outright teaching and less poking fun at Aspies. I love the show but wish the producers would add some serious discussion of AS so the uneducated viewer might grow to view it as a real diagnosis and not just something to laugh at. I read another new season is about to begin and I am happy to get more of Doc this year.

I'm fascinated by the show as well. But I find myself constantly saying, "I'm not like that!" (Whether it's true or not...lol) ;)

He's quite negative...although occasionally his body language seems to reflect some sort of remorse...especially about how is can't seem to connect with Louisa. That always frustrates me....I find her quite charming. Feel sad for Martin...but then I've had my own moments of not being able to connect...just in a different way I suppose.

Still, I look forward to the season/episode where they mention or suspect of his being on the spectrum. But geez, I'm on the first season into maybe only half a dozen episodes.

I do wish though that at some point he finds a friend in that dog that always lurks about around his office.

Last edited:
I used to watch this show a bit and I never realised he is meant to be Aspie... I was too caught up in the gorgeous scenery, haha! :D

But now it makes complete sense... Will have to look into it more.

I love this series. I have the same sort of over-analytic style that he has, and the same difficulties with small talking and acting cheery - smiley. I always have a way of turning a light conversation into a serious discussion, but my social skills are better - I know some rules, I'm friendlier and can self-monitor so as not to be rude, I can act NT to a certain extent, though I'll never be like them... I think that Doc Martin can, too, but he chooses not to.

New Threads

Top Bottom