• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't like the way some view high functioning autism

Amelia

Some people think high functioning autism means you don't really have any problems. It's still a severe disability and I feel they must not not know much about the condition. I wish people would at least try and find out more about it, rather than assuming things. Guess it's just hard for them to see mild or high functioning next to something and not assume that means it's not too bad -_- I guess it's refreshing when someone actually seems to be aware of how autism can affect everyone differently, and some know a high iq doesn't mean you don't still struggle with life in a moderate or mild or severe way. Oh well lol, guess I will have to start my conversations with... Hi I have autism, this is how it affects me lol x

Hello Amelia,
You put that beautifully. There are many struggles with it, they are just not as apparent. It is not easy to see what others do not, or not to see what others do. It does take a strong person though to live in someone else's world.
Hi, I have Autism too, and I write a lot on here about how it affects me.
Thank you for sharing your story, and welcome.

Thank you both for your input, all I have to do now is enjoy my own world or figure out everyone else's lol x

It is both easier and more logical to enjoy your own. It is best when you unexpectedly find someone else who enjoys it as well. I delight in my differences and I marvel at how some people just stress and worry over the most senseless things. I play everyday and I let my randomness fly out of me like newly released birds.
"As Long As You Have To Be Here, You Might As Well Find A Way To Have A Little Fun With It" ~Jack~

oh yeah...how I do agree with you...I got some very special gifts from the spectrum,but there are some downsides that came with them...

Welcome to AC :)

I think you will like it here amongst your true peers

Sometimes I tell a NT that I am autistic...they either offer some lame comment or get away from me because it scares the heck out of them..."I hope I don't catch that from you." :p

I am always impressed with serious idiots :D

I once had a very huge impatient woman shove my tiny ex wife out of her way while in a really nasty tone exclaiming "excuse me!" at a crowded public place during a human bottleneck...my reply to her was "Did you fart again?" :p

Its largely the sheeple mentality, people take what the news and rag tells them and are happy to not question it, certainly does us no favors
Don't waste the energy trying to change peoples minds ultimatly if they want to change their opinion they'll come around by themselves

And welcome :)

I will still try, it's important to correct people, even if they don't listen, considering we know more about than they do, if they don't listen it's their problem. I called a suicide hotline not that long ago because I was depressed and needed someone to talk to, the women made fun of me on the phone and argued with me about my condition lol, ignorant x

Some people think high functioning autism means you don't really have any problems. It's still a severe disability and I feel they must not not know much about the condition. I wish people would at least try and find out more about it, rather than assuming things. Guess it's just hard for them to see mild or high functioning next to something and not assume that means it's not too bad -_- I guess it's refreshing when someone actually seems to be aware of how autism can affect everyone differently, and some know a high iq doesn't mean you don't still struggle with life in a moderate or mild or severe way. Oh well lol, guess I will have to start my conversations with... Hi I have autism, this is how it affects me lol x

It is quite impairing! I've often wished for people to find out more about autism but, as the old adage goes, "You can wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which one gets filled faster." I've found that there are some people just not dedicated to lifelong learning and it's up to us to be able to articulate our needs to others. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this without being completely written off. I mentioned my disability to my state career counselor whom then sent me to WalMart or McDonald's. I was pissed about that last week, but now I see the humor and sad irony in it. I've politely requested a new career counselor so that I can start over. This time, I'm going to say something along the lines of:

"Hi, I'm Matt and I have an aptitude for computers and information technology. I have worked as a mid-level Systems Administrator and have done some light Systems Engineering in a generalist role. I've found I function much better when I can work in a more specialized, siloed environment. My forte isn't meetings and juggling tasks. I do much better in quiet, private spaces with as minimal interruptions as possible. "

Amelia, I wish it were that simple - that you could just introduce yourself as, "Hi, I have Autism ....." It works quite well with fellow people on the spectrum because we empathetic and struggle with much the same.

Lol thanks guys, maybe one day when people stop holding us back, we can rule the world via our knowledge and show them we are more than capable of doing so better than those that have tried previously. I would love someone with high functioning autism to run a country I think they would do it extremely well :) x

Hi Amelia, this must be hard for you. Many of us here struggle with this issue of being misjudged, so I know you will find a lot of understanding and support here whenever you need it - let us know how you are going :)

Hi Amelia,
I understand the way you are feeling right now. Just because we cope and cover our difficulties so well it doesn't mean we don't have problems or struggles. About six months after I was diagnosed my boyfriends 2 year old nephew got diagnosed as autistic. Because he has obvious signs I am afraid to bring up my diagnosis with his side of the family incase they don't believe me. I have often thought now and then to myself it would be better to be more autistic with obvious traits/ signs than be highly functioning and people believing you don't have problems and any outbursts you have or mistaken ways of speaking to people are just put down as you being a rude or obnoxious.

I couldn't agree with you more it's sooo not fair but I'm not bothered what people think anymore! As long as I can help people with high functioning autism in someway one day then I will be happy. It's not the best way to be when your trying your hardest and being called lazy or rude or whatever just because people don't understand. It's got to the point where I want to be me and more outwardly autistic and be myself and be happy... It's not like NT people are ever going to understand me or care, if they were it would have happened by now

Very good point, Amelia. The other dimension of that problem is that for those of us who are high-functioning and truly get on well social normally can still have momentary or day-long spurts of being less in sync with the social/NT world and then be fine the next day/hour. I have days like that maybe 5-6 times per month and it makes me think of that Devo song "Out of Sync". "She's out of sync, she's a half-step behind. She's out of luck, her body split from her mind." (except of course that I'm a he)

This is almost at the heart of why my cousin seems unwilling to accept my autism. As if because she can't see it, it simply isn't so. I can mimic NT behavior enough to exist in their world, but it doesn't make me an NT either.

So when I have an Aspie moment with her, I'm much more inclined to let her know these days. Maybe some day she'll "get it".

That's so true, Judge. Great way to put it. That's the only reason I have high level of function: I learned to pantomime NT people and some of it has become an easier dance to do after years of repetition. I still feel like an impostor a lot of times though.

New Threads

Top Bottom