• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't seem to paraphrase - is there a way to learn that ability?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
My husband has often commented on this and says things like: now how about just getting to the point, without giving me the whole story? I try, but fail!

So, last night, met this woman and it got to the point, I said: I think I ought to let you go and she goes: you do talk rather a lot, don't you? Now, in truth, that crushed me and because of feeling my defenses go up I said: I have something called: Aspergers and she goes: ahhhh so that is why; now that makes sense to me and yes, I know what that is! Then, wow talk about heap the daggers at me lol for she says, I did think: wow this woman never stops talking! Then relates that her daughter is a teacher and has 3 autistic children in her class and a little boy who has aspergers and shares with her mum how fascinating it is, because there are similarities with the 3 auties and the 1 aspie, but also different and agreed that with aspergers, most often, the person does not look any different! I explained that I can just about look ones in the eyes, but oh I was so tempted to say her: I am glad I found out you have MS because it is really difficult to look at you, since one eye looks in the opposite direction, but chose to not, because it is not very kind to fight fire with fire!

Anyway, no matter how I try, if someone asks me something, I seem to have to tell them the whole story; like how I arrived in France etc etc

I am good at reading emotions, but I do admit that when I am on a tangent or role, I seem to go blind and do not altogether recognize the boredom and it takes a gentle hand on my shoulder, from my husband to alert me that perhaps I am going on a bit too much!

Rarely happens, because I rarely feel that comfortable talking and am known to be quiet and shy!

I have the opposite problem, that I don't talk enough. I can never find things to say to continue or start a conversation.

However, when I want to get my point across, I do tend to over-explain or over-elaborate, because I'm not sure if the other person understood, or because more details occur to me while explaining. I also tend to give a lot of irrelevant information. Even when writing here on the forum, I usually have to edit and cut out a lot of unnecessary detail from the post.

I have the exact opposite problem - giving enough details - mostly because I don't trust myself to tell a long story without tripping over my own words, mind going totally blank, etc. But I suspect yours is the more common problem and I know a woman just like you. She was the sort who couldn't tell a story without trying to recall literally every detail, such as the layout of a room 50 years ago, the exact directions to a place, etc. She does have a lot of AS traits, and I think she could be on the spectrum - but she has no idea and I have no intention of ever letting her know my suspicions.

I don't have any suggestions, other than to perhaps trying to learn how to paraphrase in writing before putting it into practice in speech. In conversations, people rarely want lots of extraneous detail. Mostly they want you to get to the nitty gritty and put an entertaining spin on it if possible.

I have the opposite problem, that I don't talk enough. I can never find things to say to continue or start a conversation.

However, when I want to get my point across, I do tend to over-explain or over-elaborate, because I'm not sure if the other person understood, or because more details occur to me while explaining. I also tend to give a lot of irrelevant information. Even when writing here on the forum, I usually have to edit and cut out a lot of unnecessary detail from the post.

This is what I mean!!!! When I have to explain EMOTIONS, I get stuck and dreadful in an argument!

But when it is explaining something, then I - as my husband says: tell a story lol

This is what I mean!!!! When I have to explain EMOTIONS, I get stuck and dreadful in an argument!

But when it is explaining something, then I - as my husband says: tell a story lol
Yes, I find it hard to express or to talk about emotions, too. That's the kind of conversation I avoid... I bottle up my emotions and don't talk about them to other people. I find them hard to describe and I choke up. I'm much better when talking about them in writing, but even that is hard.

I am just the same. In many situations, especially in a group, I won't say much and won't start a conversation for definite. If someone asks me about myself I will then talk too much.. I may realise after a while and make myself stop although bit late by then. At home I am a nightmare when I tell my husband about things. Every tiny detail is important and it takes ages and he keeps asking me to hurry up and get to the point.. which is tricky as I know what my main point it going to be but really need to tell him all the bits or I don't feel I've said it all right! Also my close friends know I talk too much... but they are lovely friends who don't say, "Just get to the point.." They just laugh at times about me being a chatterbox.. which is ok.

I am just the same. In many situations, especially in a group, I won't say much and won't start a conversation for definite. If someone asks me about myself I will then talk too much.. I may realise after a while and make myself stop although bit late by then. At home I am a nightmare when I tell my husband about things. Every tiny detail is important and it takes ages and he keeps asking me to hurry up and get to the point.. which is tricky as I know what my main point it going to be but really need to tell him all the bits or I don't feel I've said it all right! Also my close friends know I talk too much... but they are lovely friends who don't say, "Just get to the point.." They just laugh at times about me being a chatterbox.. which is ok.

Goodness me! I am known to be very quiet and shy and also known by some who I feel comfortable with, to be a chatterbox! Yes, indeed I do become aware when I am chatting way too much and do actually apologise and often get: no, no, you are fine.

Yep, my husband would also say that I am a nightmare. I tend to start conversations at the most inconvenient moment. He will say: Ummm Suzanne, can you not see that I am about to walk out the front door, to go to work? The truth is that actually, no I did not see it because I was like on a high and bubbling but I am very quick to take on board what he said and just say: oops I am sorry darling and have a good day!

Absolutely when asked a question that is when I start talking non stop! Occasionally my husband will put a hand gently on my shoulder to denote: baby you are on a tangent, but I admit, sometimes I am so caught up in the moment, that it annoys me because I have not finished my explanation, as in my head it is: well how will they fully understand if I don't explain such and such?

I do tend to be careful most of the time and thus, never truly myself in front of others!

I have been chatty like you guys as well, but was the opposite up until I was 30 years old. How about you guys, have you always been expanding upon your ideas with others besides your family and close friends since you were young?

It seems the more I read about HFA and talk with clinicians about, the more I discover how little doctors and practitioners know about Asbergers and PSS - NOS. How do you feel about that?

It is almost impossible to get a proper diagnosis from practitioners. They like to label the symptoms we exhibit as Bi-Polar Lite, ADD/ADHD, Depression, Social Anxiety BLAH BLAH BLAH. There needs to be much more research done in this area.

New Threads

Top Bottom