• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I came out and I am now glad I did

Dragon's Tooth

I just wanted to share something.

I'm working with a great group of people who want to set up a permanent animal rescue in our area.

Because my Aspieness can lead to unpleasant stuff ie blurting out the wrong thing at the wrong time ... I decided to give them the heads up because would be working closely together and tell them I'm an aspie.

I have always held back because of a fear of what people will think.

But I was surprised at how accepting these people were. And they asked me questions and let me explain it and showed a general interest in learning about it. And they didn't really care. When I did something Aspie related they would ask me about it and then realize I wasn't say looking at them specifically when speaking or what ever.

I wish everyone who came out as an Aspie could have such a wonderful positive experience. I know society can be cruel but this time round I was pleasantly surprised. And it felt good to have people around me that were prepared to support me and find out more about.

I wanted to share this experience so that we can see not all experiences are bad and hopefully you might have some good ones of your own :)

I think that if I announced it, everyone would say "Well, yeah. Of course. You only just realised it yourself?".

I have found that it is good in most situations to tell people about having Aspergers. I have also found that and can "back fire" as well because not everybody is accepting of things they don't understand.

I have found that it is good in most situations to tell people about having Aspergers. I have also found that and can "back fire" as well because not everybody is accepting of things they don't understand.

your right on the second point ... which is why I wanted to post about a good experience where it didn't back fire :)

New Threads

Top Bottom