• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I been dignosed with asperger syndrome

aj

Aj
I have asperger syndrome and i got offered to go to some events. Social events with other aspergers, training for workplace, and more. I dont want to go to these events but i want to know if anyone else does go or has gone to these events. If so can you tell me what its like please

Slightly less stressfull than other events. But one of the NT "leaders" is really loud and extroverted, and one of the other aspies gives me skeptical glances whenever I speak, so that adds to the stress.

Slightly less stressfull than other events. But one of the NT "leaders" is really loud and extroverted, and one of the other aspies gives me skeptical glances whenever I speak, so that adds to the stress.

I dont think il like it then, thank you for your comment :)

I have not been to one, but you may want to try it for yourself.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

I am an active member of a Polish forum for people with AS, NLD and hyperlexia. I participated twice in informal assemblies of the forum members. The atmosphere and mood are very pleasant and memorable, the Aspies from the entire Poland cam share their experiences. These meetings are organised by an NT who has an Aspie husband. In my opinion, meetings with other aspies are interesting. I suggest such live meetings of forum members also here on aspiescentral.com

I like forums too. But if I were to do an event, I would want it to be something like making pottery at a pottery store (places where they do kids' birthdays), going out in canoes. That kind of thing. Even just bringing lots of drawing paper and pencils to a late night diner that is quiet-ish and has no ceiling fans or flashing lights.

although am LF and severely classic autistic, am a member of autism and intelectual disability activism and have attended many sessions to help profesionals understand us ,the main group that do work with is the social services learning [intelectual] disability team as am a service user of theirs and get together with other of their service users,all of us are communication impaired;some of us are severely speech impaired and also use alternative comms to speak with the profesionals but there is no pressure and its a very relaxed environment.
have also worked for britains national intelectual disability charity;mencap,helping them train the NHSs first ever hospital on ID in particular but also the severe end of autism as well.
another part of activism that enjoy doing is interviewing profesionals for the SS ID team or for the organisation am supported by,get to sit in on loads of interviews,the interviewers get to see how they react with a severely impaired individual and am given a voice on whether woud like these supporting self or not, am often picked by a completely different borough to come down and do interviews for them and have been told the questions of mine are the most difficult of all [eg; what is the difference between learning disability and learning difficulty, what does low functioning autism and high functioning autism mean,how woud they support a service user who was being abused by a member of public etc] even when they dont get them right its about knowing how they respond that makes the difference,anyone can be trained up on things like this but only if they have the right attitude.

woud honestly recommend getting involved in the training,and perhaps looking further into what activism can personaly offer as it enables self to spread more awareness on topics that are still targets of much ignorance.

That made me laugh :) thank you for the complement :)

My comment was intended neither as a joke nor a compliment but instead as an accurate observation. We are awesome and unique, "normal" is boring. Regardless, I am glad it made you feel better.

I like forums too. But if I were to do an event, I would want it to be something like making pottery at a pottery store (places where they do kids' birthdays), going out in canoes. That kind of thing. Even just bringing lots of drawing paper and pencils to a late night diner that is quiet-ish and has no ceiling fans or flashing lights.

Yeah I can't do groups for sake of groups. There has to be an activity or something. "Group therapy" sounds oxymoronic to me.

I go to a local aspergers meetup sometimes. It's fun, we play board games at a coffee shop, people bring books or laptops, and you can come and go as you please. It's not a structured event so much as a way to meet others like us, and feel less social pressure.

Yeah I can't do groups for sake of groups. There has to be an activity or something. "Group therapy" sounds oxymoronic to me.
Yeah. The only group things that I found useful at all were actually 12 step groups... And there, the whole idea is to not treat it like group therapy, ironically enough. Most all of those groups have rules about staying on topic (like on the reading done at start) and to not cross-talk and to not try to address others comments. The whole thing does result in a more spiritual experience than (in contrast) one of a bunch of people awkwardly sitting around comparing problems and trying to one-up one another's problems. Now I know why traditional group therapy and support groups were so grating. And cross-talk just invites a stumbling at mis-interpretation and not reading between the lines as I am prone to do. I guess it would be weird for aspies to go to something like alanon if they have not been affected by friends and families with alcohol or addiction problems, but it is so generically helpful that I would encourage anyone to sit in on open meetings if inclined. I wish there were a NT-anon for us trying to cope in a NT world. With the 12 step group kind of structure since it is so much more conducive for aspies and auts.

well, at the very least be glad to have the option. It is even more stressful and lonely living in a non population dense area (the state has fewer then a million people, and the nearest mass of them is around 100k and is a 200 mile round trip) so there are no groups of locals that offer aspergers group outtings.

well, at the very least be glad to have the option. It is even more stressful and lonely living in a non population dense area (the state has fewer then a million people, and the nearest mass of them is around 100k and is a 200 mile round trip) so there are no groups of locals that offer aspergers group outtings.

I always consider it better to have more options than fewer. That might even qualify as an axiom insofar as I am concerned.

i like to try to break out of my shell...but in small groups. When i'm with a big crowd, or in a classroom etc, i am awkward, I barely talk, and when i do talk i stutter or get tongue tied. i hate that about me.

i like to try to break out of my shell...but in small groups. When i'm with a big crowd, or in a classroom etc, i am awkward, I barely talk, and when i do talk i stutter or get tongue tied. i hate that about me.

I don't experience the social paralysis you describe; however, I am anxious about social situations and always have been. By contrast, though, one of my favorite things about myself is that I don't really need to socialize with other people to be happy. Sure - I need human interaction on some level, but brief interaction with one person usually is sufficient. I don't like group settings, and I sort of like that about me.

There's nothing wrong with you either. There are ways to improve the social anxiety you experience, but no one is good at everything. You don't have to be a "social butterfly" to be a totally awesome person.

New Threads

Top Bottom