• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am right handed but my left eye is strongly dominant. Any others like this?

Loomis

From what I have read this kind of cross dominance is often associated with various types of learning disabilities. Just curious if a lot of Aspies have this cross dominance also. It can create problems because you are using one hemisphere of your brain visually and the other for motor skills. I also find I do some things left handed naturally, particularly if they involve aiming: such as shooting a rifle or a bow and arrow.

I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant, but I didn't know it was associated with learning disabilities.
Do you shoot a rifle left handed? The reason I ask is that it is probably the one thing in physical sports that i am best at because my stronger arm holds up the rifle while I sight with my stronger eye.

As far as learning disabilities and cross-dominance, it is not a strong association. There are a lot of baseball players with this because their dominant eye is closer to the pitcher giving them a slight advantage when batting.

Last edited:
I am considered lefthanded because I write with my left hand, but I am actually mixed handed. Lefties do everything with their left hand and righties do everything with their right. What I do with my left hand I can only do with my left hand, and what I do with my right hand, I can only do with my right hand. As for my eyes, my right eye has ambliopia (lazy eye) so my strongest is, by default, my left.

I am very left eyed and definitely right handed. I was told this is "mixed dominance." A simple test it to see if you are right handed and put your right shoe on first, or begin a flight of stairs with your right foot, or the reverse if you are left handed. This is "normal" and to do otherwise is a sign of mixed dominance. I was an excellent student all my life, through two Master's Degrees. However, Algebra and higher math are a huge challenge for me.

That's me! I never knew that was unusual. I used to shoot a now and arrow competitively, and only used my left eye to sight in. I'm right handed and always put my left shoe on first too! Who knew!!

I was just searching on Mixed/Cross dominance and Asperger's when I saw your question. Yes, I have the same condition, although my left eye now has an astigmatism. Have you ever taken a test to determine if you are brain is dominant left or right? I was wondering if mixed/cross dominance might explain some things.

This is kind of cool! I've always had a lot of trouble with left/right dominance. I used to get in trouble in school for switching the hand I wrote with, and I can still write with both hands. I am right eye dominate, yet always put my left shoe on first. I think I'm just one mixed up lady!

:bounce:

My left became wayyyy too dominant earlier this year. It became so bad it was difficult to focus properly on things, everything was blurry and tiring to look at.
Was exacerbated by the fact that my hair partially covered my right eye for a few years. As soon as I realised this I made a patch over my left eye and pulled my hair behind my ear so my right wouldn't be blocked anymore.
Since then I have been tucking my hair behind my ear and things seem to have improved greatly.

I am right handed. I wish I could be more coordinated with my left but I just don't have the motivation. It's soo hard to stop using my right hand. Everything is so much more difficult with the left.

The muscle in my right arm is noticeably larger too. The tricep has nice definition where as it doesn't in my left arm. Maybe from fapping tho.

Interesting post, Loomis. I was born with a muscle imbalance in my right eye that was corrected with lenses alone. Apparently I went into the annals of ophthalmology for being a one-in-a-thousand such cases. While being right-handed, I wouldn't say my left eye is necessarily dominant. However it does have less astigmatism than my right eye.

I did once take a left/right brain lateralization test that claimed I was 80% left-sided. Highly analytical, being able to solve problems through analyzing complex patterns. I used to think it was something unique....but now it sounds more like an Aspie trait. It's all good...

I am right handed although my mother states I began as a lefty and later went to righty after observing my entire family of right handers. However, I am left 'footed', as a kid I always kicked a ball with my left leg, my PE class teacher once forced me to kick with my right foot, I missed the ball entirely so he left me revert to left leg use lol. I can write very poorly left handed, it's probably 1st grade quality hand writing but it is readable, perhaps I am slightly ambidextreous? I probably spelled that incorrectly, oh well.

New Threads

Top Bottom