• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am curious..

I do manage to avoid doing it while crossing the road, though.

That was my point. I don't recall ever seeing someone so engrossed in a book to the point of risking their lives as oblivious pedestrians in congested traffic areas and parking lots.

In this instance I do see this as a relatively new phenomenon. Sadly I see this a lot locally speaking. Almost like observing people in a trance, similar to sleepwalking.

Though I also sometimes wonder if some on the spectrum relish using their mobile devices just to establish another form of masking and anonymity to discourage any impromptu social interactions while in public. A very common and understood way for anyone to tell the rest of the world to "back off".

Last edited:
Though I also sometimes wonder if some on the spectrum relish using their mobile devices just to establish another form of masking and anonymity to discourage any impromptu social interactions while in public. A very common and understood way for anyone to tell the rest of the world to "back off".

I certainly do, though I can't say if that's what others are doing.

@Sarah S thank you for your words. you hit it spot on with a lot of what you said. you're right about it being like a safety security valve. do you have anything you use in that way other than a phone? it seems we're on the same line of thought with a lot. thanks again

Youre very welkome im glad i can be at some help. For me my safety valve so to say is actually my hope for the possible future (ie dreams hopes something to cling on to in life )

As fore when its overload which i take it youre refering too here id say I just try to get in my own head so to say and think and focus on what makes me happy again (ie again my dreams & hopes & upcoming planned tripps to the zoos im a complete animal lover) i cant even describe how much i get from actually feel the connection to a say a Tiger or any exotic animal when they see me accept me and we actually do connect with eatchoder (dreamy eyes ) Thats actually how i have managed to stay alive all this years my hope .

And it have takend me MANY years to learn to be able to do this i should add and i still have to struggle every day with my self. & like you i also get overloaded and shut down , Same in large crowds i cant stand it.

As fore a specifik item or other method i have to say internet is my lifeline (again stationary computer ) BUT i keep it in proportions tho. And of course the TV and films, nature films ,series etc. On DVD.

As i said before you need to try to find methods that helps you calm down or get overloaded . It honestly dont matter if its the phone (nothing wrong with that ) but you need to find other substitutes that works the same so you dont only have the phone .

I certainly do, though I can't say if that's what others are doing.

I just recall a thread where most of us all agreed that though we loathed the pandemic, we kind of liked wearing the mask in the sense that it gave us a kind of anonymity. Beyond that of wearing sunglasses.

Allowing us to inherently blend into public places and situations more easily. Made me think that people using mobile devices in public may be doing the same, whether on the spectrum or not.

"Don't bother, they're using their cellphone." ;)

That for some it may even prove "comforting" in this regard, particularly when in public places.

@Sarah S I like that you said you go to a happy place in your head. I hadn't even thought to retreat to happy thoughts and memories, but what a perfect idea. I love animals as well, I never feel more calm than when I'm at my weekly equine therapy. so I'm definitely going to be using that idea.
I hate large crowds too, I tend to avoid them unless I can't. that's a quick way to get me to overload and either have a shutdown or meltdown. wayyyy too much going on and way too many strangers touching me and staring at me :eek:
you've given me some good places to work from, thanks again.

Yes, that's what I'm asking you about.

What sorts of activities do you seek, when you are using the phone?
How do the activities serve to moderate your feelings?
I used to play games on my phone, these were time-fillers and not creative.

I put the mostly used apps on my home screen and removed the rest, as they are all on in alphabetical order when you swipe up.

If I understood your question right, I took it to mean what do I use my phone for mostly, so I looked at my most used apps.

Calls, text, clock, camera, weather, FB messenger, Gooogle Advanced Search (part of chrome app, I just copied that to Home Screen to save hassle), Daybook-diary of things I have done in the day, Calculator, maps, Weather. Photos and notepad.

Oh, and I have that dratted NHS COVID-19 app, as various places want me to scan their QR code.

@Sarah S I like that you said you go to a happy place in your head. I hadn't even thought to retreat to happy thoughts and memories, but what a perfect idea. I love animals as well, I never feel more calm than when I'm at my weekly equine therapy. so I'm definitely going to be using that idea.

I hate large crowds too, I tend to avoid them unless I can't.

that's a quick way to get me to overload and either have a shutdown or meltdown. wayyyy too much going on and way too many strangers touching me and staring at me :eek:

you've given me some good places to work from, thanks again.

Happy i can help my friend . I saw on youre profile you also seem to have
Anxiety (me too add to that im Severe ) so i understand perhaps a little better what you may feel with the nerves outside youre body at times.

Oh ive been a animal nut since i was born and ONE of the few " gifts " i have gotten from birth is the ability to somehow connect (ie they accept ,respect, and dont get scared and seek contact ) i get to go on my difrent zoo tripps once / month and it gives me the reloading i need to get thru the next month until the next tripp. And when im in there my entire otherwise crappy life just disapere and i can for that day just live & forget all the other stuff for that day or hoers.

You also mentined you like both listening to music and sing . As have i and again there is another Vent you can use were you can forget everything else in life and just focus on the music ( Music have actually also helped me ALOT to deal with my feelings (both playing / listening and most definetly also singing ) So if you take a look arond you im shore you will be able to find other things in life that gives you the calmness & were you can just get in youre own zone.

Same here i always have & always will i stay away from those . Yes i agree

Youre very welkome. (this is actually also a HUGE help for me to be able to help others like me (ie with said Diagnosis or similar ) and getting the satisfaction of actually being able to help someone else. It helps me finding some perpouse in life .

@Sarah S yeah the anxiety seems to be my biggest issue, and I can't ever get it under control. I'm simultaneously glad you understand and sorry that you experience this nonsense, it's awful.
that's cool that you go once a month! I can't remember the last time I was able to go to the zoo. it's really cool that you have that connection with the animals. I feel similarly.
yeah I tend to have music playing a lot in the background, maybe I need to have it playing more often to combat some of these emotions lol.
that's really admirable that it makes you feel so good to help others. you're pretty great!

@atticus I just look through the instructions for my dumb phone, unfortunately I can’t find anything about the mp3 on their; I’ll try uploading some podcasts later today and see how many it can contain on there.

@atticus I just look through the instructions for my dumb phone, unfortunately I can’t find anything about the mp3 on their; I’ll try uploading some podcasts later today and see how many it can contain on there.

sounds good! that is one of the biggest things stopping me from "downgrading" is that fear of losing easy access to music

@Sarah S yeah the anxiety seems to be my biggest issue, and I can't ever get it under control. I'm simultaneously glad you understand and sorry that you experience this nonsense, it's awful.

that's cool that you go once a month! I can't remember the last time I was able to go to the zoo. it's really cool that you have that connection with the animals. I feel similarly.

yeah I tend to have music playing a lot in the background, maybe I need to have it playing more often to combat some of these emotions lol.

that's really admirable that it makes you feel so good to help others. you're pretty great!

Yes i wouldent which this or any of my flipping Diagnosis or problems on my worst enemy they have destroyed all hopes i once may have had of a normal happy life . & i was doomed from birth. BUT it is what it is and like you will i also managed to find a way to adapt to all my diagnosis im not under ANY meds for any of my diagnosis never had never will. What im trying to say is you will also find away to be able to deal with all this my friend .

yeah its my lifeline actually take that away and i dont have anything left in life to live fore. (this is actually belive it or not a traid for us females with ASD. I had no idea about that until i read it was . )

I read others have this problems and use the music in there ears by headphones actually.

For me it actually does yes as well as the other things i mentined & as i said hence i managed to stay alive all this years and continuing to struggle the never ending upphill against all odds in life . Oh im just same as all else in here with gazilion diagnosis trying to do the best i can in life with what i got .

@Sarah S I wouldn't either, and I'm glad you've found ways to manage without medication. I wish I could, but I'm working on that
it makes so much sense that loving animals is a trait amongst autistic females. I was a "horse girl" when I was small (and still am, honestly xD)
yeah I wear hearing aids so I could probably just stream my music from my phone into those, I'm gonna give that a try for sure

@Sarah S I wouldn't either, and I'm glad you've found ways to manage without medication. I wish I could, but I'm working on that

it makes so much sense that loving animals is a trait amongst autistic females. I was a "horse girl" when I was small (and still am, honestly xD)

yeah I wear hearing aids so I could probably just stream my music from my phone into those, I'm gonna give that a try for sure

Dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with meds . Only back in my time (70 `s ) we actually dident have any to use + Back then they dident know diddly about this NP diagnosis (Infact ALL my curent gazilion diagnosis was under my first diagnose under co morbids = MBD Minimal brain damage . So for me i had no choice then to learn to adapt as best i can. And now well as i said to the docs there isent much more that can be damaged in there more & i have learnt to live with it.

For some reason me and horses dont work to well ALL other animals no problems. i have actually becomed friends with a MALE (just to be adult and new to the zoo ) Camel inside a encloser (and this is next to impossible not to mention dangerous so DONT do this. Things can go very bad and you may get killed ( i was a zoo keeper ) not to mention i also befriended the female and she was not a friendly animal & LOADS of similar stories to back that one up with all kind of animals.

Could help yes . As i said only youre imagination stands between you finding youre ways and what works for you dear. Trails and errors and never stop searching and try new things

that's fair! I see your point. I wouldn't want to take them if i were in your shoes.

wow, that is very impressive. camels can be very moody, to say the least. it must have been sooo much fun being a zookeeper

that's fair! I see your point. I wouldn't want to take them if i were in your shoes.

wow, that is very impressive. camels can be very moody, to say the least. it must have been sooo much fun being a zookeeper

Nothing more to destroy in my brain thats how i see it.

yes they can and i had no idea about then . Later my friend thats also in to animals ALOT (had a smaller zoo ) told me i was nuts to go in there and also heard that female had once thrown a adult Zebra that happend to get in the encloser OVER the fence and for a LONG air ride (gasp )

lets just say i havent worried to much about this things and i have been in enclosers with loose aurochs (close relatives to Bisons) even , Elks , Deers, antelopes , Zebras, Watusi cattle (LOONG sharp horns ) you name it i went in i was a complete nut back then ( Giggles)

Oh yes it was magic. sadly i knew more about animals in my left pinky then the owners so i had to leave (the parc filed for chapter 11 soon after i left that year )

Last edited:
Nothing more to destroy im my brain thats how i see it.

yes they can and i had no idea about then . Later my friend thats also in to animals ALOT (had a smaller zoo ) told me i was nuts to go in there and also heard that female had once thrown a adult Zebra that happend to get in the encloser OVER the fence and for a LONG air ride (gasp )

lets just say i havent worried to much about this things and i have been in enclosers with loose aurochs (close relatives to Bisons) even , Elks , Deers, antelopes , Zebras, Watusi cattle (LOONG sharp horns ) you name it i went in i was a complete nut back then ( Giggles)

Oh yes it was magic. sadly i knew more about animals in my left pinky then the owners so i had to leave (the parc filed for chapter 11 soon after i left that year )

that is so amazing, it's fascinating what animals can be capable of. it was probably that determination of yours that made the animals more willing to trust you. I swear they can sense the autism or something lol. but aww, what a sad ending to that journey. but at least you're still able to visit a zoo to see some animals

that is so amazing, it's fascinating what animals can be capable of. it was probably that determination of yours that made the animals more willing to trust you.

I swear they can sense the autism or something lol.

but aww, what a sad ending to that journey. but at least you're still able to visit a zoo to see some animals

Actually its probaly more i have the capability to read them & behave accordingly and they feel im no threat and i can be trusted.

Indeed

Well it happens & i was warned prior to me starting there this would happen and they were right. Indeed thats my life suport for reel & my soul reason to keep breathing and fight on in life.

Last edited:
that does make sense, you're probably right.
at least they warned you!! I have heard so many stories about the opposite occurring. it's really good that you have that outlet, I'm sure nothing compares to being around those animals =)

sounds good! that is one of the biggest things stopping me from "downgrading" is that fear of losing easy access to music
Unfortunately this might take a bit longer than I thought; my laptop hard drive is fried and I thought it would be easy to just restore things off my backup hard drive, but it turns out things won’t be that easy. I am also looking to see if maybe, I could do it off my iPad, but I need a find connector cable that works for both my iPad and my dumb phone.

Unfortunately this might take a bit longer than I thought; my laptop hard drive is fried and I thought it would be easy to just restore things off my backup hard drive, but it turns out things won’t be that easy. I am also looking to see if maybe, I could do it off my iPad, but I need a find connector cable that works for both my iPad and my dumb phone.

no rush, friend! sorry you're running into so many issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom