• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am curious..

Did you ever try weaving? Or knitting? I have many strange things. Plait braid is fun, you can undo it, and then redo it differently. Harness ring, 10 lengths of paracord about 30inches each, maybe some beads.

Did you ever try weaving? Or knitting? I have many strange things. Plait braid is fun, you can undo it, and then redo it differently. Harness ring, 10 lengths of paracord about 30inches each, maybe some beads.

I have tried so hard to learn to knit and/or crochet, I just can't get past the cast on. I make a lot of lanyard from that plastic cording stuff, and bead animals, but I can't really feasibly bring those sorts of things with me =( perhaps knitting if I could figure it out. I really need someone to sit with me and help me learn in a more hands-on manner, I think. I would love to be able to just bring knitting projects with me everywhere I go!

Now that the pandemic is waning, there may be more opportunities. Have you ever been a volunteer at a senior center? Perhaps you have not the time or inclination. The elders often know how to do such things. Once it was wuite common for wymyn to carry larger bags with them, the modern purse is rather small, a slightly larger bag would hold a scarf project. My friend makes them to give away, and cancer hats for ladies too, the chemo makes one's hair fall out. The hats look kinda like a tam.
I know nothing of fashion, nor the needs you have in society, but once the ladies carried something large enough to hold a full size pillow, pretty big.

Now that the pandemic is waning, there may be more opportunities. Have you ever been a volunteer at a senior center? Perhaps you have not the time or inclination. The elders often know how to do such things. Once it was wuite common for wymyn to carry larger bags with them, the modern purse is rather small, a slightly larger bag would hold a scarf project. My friend makes them to give away, and cancer hats for ladies too, the chemo makes one's hair fall out. The hats look kinda like a tam.
I know nothing of fashion, nor the needs you have in society, but once the ladies carried something large enough to hold a full size pillow, pretty big.

I haven't ever done so, but I have always wanted to. but you're correct, it's rare I actually have time to go. perhaps I'll have to *make* some time for it, it seems like it would really help me. thankfully I'm not one to care much for fashion trends, so that wouldn't be a big deal to me. sounds like it would go with my aesthetic as long as the bag was dark in color xD that is so beautiful and admirable of your friend! I would love to do something similar! that would be so very fulfilling

Respectfully sometimes the limitations we impose upon our own capacity is an expression of fear, or doubt. Fear is the opposite of love.

Many times this can be the heartache crowbar that is needed to inspire development itself, the notion that the work itself has value or is an act of love, therefore important, therefore allowed as an exception to a self imposed stricture.

Most of us are severly isolated, these days espescially. You may well find great acceptance with the elderly, they are often mellowed by time and eager for company.

Last edited:
Overcoming the fear response is not easy. You likely have good cause for trepidation. Singing is helpful, as is skipping, and of course the journal will eventually teach you that 99 of the things you were worried about this time last year, never came to pass
Be well, joyous, see the good, aim your eyeballs at the greater good, also, please dont tell anyone, but i really like bowling

Many times this can be the heatbreak crowbar that is needed to inspire development itself, the notion that the work itself has value or is an act of love, therefore important, therefore allowed as an exception to a self imposed stricture.

Most of us are severly isolated, these days espescially. You may well find great acceptance with the elderly, they are often mellowed by time and eager for company.

very well said. as much as I don't want to admit it, perhaps a big part of my increasing issues with emotional dysregulation is the increased isolation for the pandemic... hmm. you bring many good points.

Overcoming the fear response is not easy. You likely have good cause for trepidation. Singing is helpful, as is skipping, and of course the journal will eventually teach you that 99 of the things you were worried about this time last year, never came to pass
Be well, joyous, see the good, aim your eyeballs at the greater good, also, please dont tell anyone, but i really like bowling

I adore singing, I need to do it more for sure. everyone needs to skip more in their life, for sure. I love bowling; I won't tell if you don't!

I feel a shift, see its not so hard. Do you like forum games and creative writing? @Yeshuasdaughter and i have been dueling. Its called 'get the cookie' i am all out of material, if you could help a fellow out.. as one bowler to another? The latest match starts somewhere around pg 8

hmm I'm not sure about forum games, I don't think I've ever played any. I do love creative writing, though, perhaps tomorrow I could be of some help. my screen time limit has been reached for the day as I'm leaving work :sweatsmile:

hmm well I exercise twice a day, 5-6 days a week so that's covered, as well as yoga after waking and before sleep. I don't slouch, had to get physical therapy to fix that. I don't typically use my phone in the mornings except for music on the way to work. it's literally when I'm in a strong emotional state that it becomes a problem.

It seems like to me that you are very averse to suggestions from most. We are just trying to help and don't understand your situation completely. You have to remember that. I was just relating what helps me, as others have done. It would be perhaps better to say ok, I'll consider it rather than getting snippy and saying "That's not going to help me". I don't know though, sometimes being assertive is the best course of action. I just noticed some of your replies seem rather abrasive to me.

From my side based on how you have described all this And my own Diagnosis and levels etc....

I would think that when youre feelings are becoming to much you need something to help distract youre feelings and the phone is the method you have found for this .

As far as i have understood this its very high risk for us with NP Diagnosis
and especually on the more severe scales to get hooked in all kinds of overuses (me i have been both on internet (stationary ) WAY to much, Bulimia, Coca cola ediction etc...... )

What you need to try to do is find something else that help distract you when youre feelings are going wild and that also can help you cut down on the phone time so to say. There is no need to compleatly stop youre phone time but you need to try to find other ways besides this. The phone is a way for you to distract youre self when things are geting to much.
Sort of a security valve were you can then refocus on the phone and block out the other feeling of anxiety or just youre overloaded from all the difrent sences.

We all need some kind of mental stimulation & also distraction when things are geting to much. And its sadly only you that can find that way by trying out new things and see if they work or not . What worked for others might not work for you. All we can do is offer what what methods worked for us. & i still look high and low for means to keep me going in general as well as give a resonable meaningful life . Not to mention help me get thru the days and have something to do every day .

Same with learning how to cope and adapt to all my diagnosis. It havent been easy and its been a bumpy road and still is but again i have tried many difrent ways and some dident work & some has but as i said its all highly individual on what works to archive this.

And in my case since i also have ADHD i pretty much always need to fidget around with something when im sitting still and for example whatching tv , Listen to music is next to impossible to just sit still and listen i emidietly start moving arond in the home (incl cleaning etc... ) And i can use pretty much anything that gives my fingers something to do that is avible . For me its just i need something to keep my hands ocupied .

& last the knitting etc... With my own diagnosis this things that require more capability in smaller things and so on are a living nightmare as my Executive /Adaptive functions are at a 5 - 9 year old so not that great BUT again dont give up if its something you fel can work for you practice practice practice & above all dont give up . as long as you feel this gives you something the key is Perseverance.

It seems like to me that you are very averse to suggestions from most. We are just trying to help and don't understand your situation completely. You have to remember that. I was just relating what helps me, as others have done. It would be perhaps better to say ok, I'll consider it rather than getting snippy and saying "That's not going to help me". I don't know though, sometimes being assertive is the best course of action. I just noticed some of your replies seem rather abrasive to me.

I'm sorry, I am not in any way trying to be abrasive. I am certainly not "getting snippy". I don't see a point in considering something that I already do, that's all I am trying to say. not trying to cause offense to anyone. I know y'all don't understand my situation completely, which is why I respond with the things I already do. the "hmmm" is literally me being pensive. not snippy or sarcastic or any other negative connotation you want to attribute to my words.

What doin today?

Im goin to go chase the cat, then run around with no pants on outside for awhile, then find my pants, then have a snack and then do some dishes and then find a clean shirt and then go in a car on an adventure, ,(the cat will stay home),

@Sarah S thank you for your words. you hit it spot on with a lot of what you said. you're right about it being like a safety security valve. do you have anything you use in that way other than a phone? it seems we're on the same line of thought with a lot. thanks again

What doin today?

Im goin to go chase the cat, then run around with no pants on outside for awhile, then find my pants, then have a snack and then do some dishes and then find a clean shirt and then go in a car on an adventure, ,(the cat will stay home),

I'm at work today, our first virtual student is absent so I have next to nothing to do for the next hour lol. It sounds like you're going to have quite a fun day!!

You and nearly everyone else. Nothing like watching someone go through a sidewalk amidst heavy car traffic while they bury their face in their smartphone.

LOL I used to do this with books, before smartphones were a thing.

Everyone wants to blame the phones like it's a new behavior. I would literally walk down the hall at school with my nose in a book between classes.

I do manage to avoid doing it while crossing the road, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom