• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am considered a Grammar Nazi, is this a common Aspie trait?

I am a Grammer Nazi only when it comes to what I write. Ironically, I possess an obsession with words although I certainly am not what one would consider a verbose person. I agree with OkRad in that the English language is not a set of codified rules but rather is a fluid, ever-changing language. I have noticed that many writers today (and poets past and present) are more free regarding the "rules" of the English language. And to me, that is a good thing although I find that when I write I am more forgiving with myself regarding weak verbs and punctuations although I must agree that the Grammerly program, which LucyPurrs mentions, has been a wonderful helper when I write. Now if I could only have it installed in my brain where it would operate as I speak :D

Grammar, not grammer.

It's the grammar Nazi in me again! :D

Rich Allen, your thread title has a comma splice in it.

Grammar has always come extremely easily to me, and I’ve had jobs as a copy editor on my high school, community college, and university newspapers. I won a copy-editing contest at a journalism conference, achieving the first perfect score in conference history. I am damned good at what I do, but it’s the only thing I can do well. Because of my lack of other skills, my job prospects remain bleak.

I think this is common. Although I can't get rid of it, I have found a way to deal with it in a more socially acceptable manner. If it is something written on the Internet, I will find a way to repeat the grammatically incorrect section in my answer, but making it grammatically correct rather than repeating it verbatim. In this way, I am able to satisfy my need for correction without pointing it out or belittling the other person. This has been much more successful than my previous response of drawing attention to it and correcting it. However, if the person posting it is a teacher, I still feel the need to explicitly point it and vent my frustration at a teacher not knowing the difference between "then" and "than" or something similar.

In conversation, it's a lot harder. If someone says something like "I was going to head in that direction anyways" I immediately blurt out "Anyway." On occasion I can control myself enough to give a response that corrects the grammatical error without pointing it out, but it is much more difficult.

The grammar nazi thing effected both sides. NT and ND.
It's root comes from fear of someone correcting you saying it's "you're" insead of "your" or whatever. While correct, it nullifies whatever argument. It's an easy, basic thing used attack, to discredit someone. With enough repetition a large portion will correct their own grammar. It's hilarious how that gained traction, everybody got on board yet... the internet still uses tru, nite, rite, and so on. Yet those rarely ever get corrected. Before this movement started only a handful of the population really gave a crap. Most people didn't care until it was pointed out. And focused upon with a spotlight.

It's root comes from fear of someone correcting you saying it's "you're" insead of "your" or whatever. While correct, it nullifies whatever argument. It's an easy, basic thing used attack, to discredit someone. With enough repetition a large portion will correct their own grammar. It's hilarious how that gained traction, everybody got on board yet... the internet still uses tru, nite, rite, and so on. Yet those rarely ever get corrected. Before this movement started only a handful of the population really gave a crap. Most people didn't care until it was pointed out. And focused upon with a spotlight.

Its, not it's, it's means it is, not its, like meaning the Earth spins on its Axis.

"The grammar nazi thing is shared by NTs and NDs." or "The grammar nazi thing affects both NTs and NDs.". "Affected" would be past tense, which in that context you'd want to use present.

Sorry, I just had to do it. Looks like I've Caught a case of Grammar Nazi fever ;)

I have always been horrible at literature, reading comprehension, creative writing... But I've always been very good at grammar and spelling. Won many spelling bees in school. Because spelling is absolute. And grammar has rules you follow so it's like a math formula.

Now how I use that grammar is up to me. If it's a formal paper, trade publication, or instruction, then absolutely. If it's a chatroom or forum post then who cares. I was one of those "little professors" when I was young. My dad used to always tell me that nobody likes a know it all. So I learned to dumb down how I speak to try and be more approachable to people. Unfortunately now I just sound like a hillbilly, and it has certainly hurt me in the professional world. But it's been so long that sounding intelligent feels wrong, and would have to be relearned.

As far as correcting others' grammar and spelling, I'll tell them if the mistake is going to make them look bad in a professional document. Other than that, no. Because I don't like confrontation and avoid it unless necessary, I rather we all just get along. I can accept that some are bad at grammar, but could probably help me in a lot of other areas.

New Threads

Top Bottom